Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Exclamation RCMP warn of dangerous poachers after Calgary man attacked

RCMP are investigating an attack on a Calgary man, who caught a man illegally fishing.

On Sunday, the victim was videotaping the suspect at Travers Reservoir near Vulcan, when he was punched and kicked.

“I’ve been doing this 12 ½ years and this is the first time I’ve heard of this here,” said Darren Unreiner, a fish and wildlife officer. “Usually what happens is they’ll return the fish right away.

“It’s just unfortunate there are certain groups who act very aggressive…it’s very disheartening to hear about a story like this.”

Fish and Wildlife officers said there has been a rise in the number of poachers at the lake, because there is no cell phone coverage in the area.

“A lot of the unethical fishermen take advantage of that,” Unreiner said. “They know people can’t really call in that easily, so Travers Reservoir has been on the rise the last number of years for illegal fishing activities.”

The victim managed to get the license plate of the attacker, but so far no charges have been laid.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/rcmp+...651/story.html
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Yikes, scary stuff
Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM

And that right there is why you don't walk up and be a tough ass(not saying this guy did but it increases your chances of confrontation). Just let them know that if caught there are sizeable fines and walk away, if it is bad enough report them when you can but don't try and be the hero and solve the issue yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Bear mace not just for bears...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Bear mace not just for bears...
Yeah seems like a good idea to let him get away and end up thrown in jail.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

You mean to tell me that poachers aren't the most ethical people that todays society has to offer?

Never approach losers who would stoop so low as to steal from nature, who knows what else these losers are capable of, simply let the law point out the losers indiscretions and deal with them accordingly...

When exactly is the apocalypse supposed to occur again?...seems as if the herd could use a little thining anyways...

Were the poachers driving a beige minivan?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Deep View Post
Yeah seems like a good idea to let him get away and end up thrown in jail.
If someone adopts a threatening posture towards you and you point it at them, and inform them that if they continue you will be forced to use it on them, and they still continue I don't think there are many police officers/ courts that would convict you of doing so. Its not like your shooting them with a gun it is non-lethal and although very painful not life threatening. I would never advocate violence for the sake of violence or using something in an irresponsible manner but if the threat of something stops the escalation into something much worse then by all means.

That being said, if you go looking for trouble you will get what your looking for. I don't know how many times I've been fishing and seen people keep stuff that was too small/ fishing with barbed hooks etc... My approach is to inform them of the rules casually in a friendly matter. If you go up to someone and say, "Hey you can't use barbed hooks" or "that's too small" you put them in a defensive state right off the bat and psychologically they lean towards aggressive behavior just because of your demeanor. If you were to walk up and have a friendly conversation first and then slip something in like, "those Mustad's are a nice hook but I prefer matzuo baitholder sickles myself, oh hey these have the barbs on them still you should flatten those fish and wild life check that and its a painful fine." The indirect polite route is much less likely to end in violence.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

Interesting story. I think that this one's gonna have some hang time.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM

I can videotape with my camera at 30X so they dont have a clue. but still better to just take particulars , drive up the hill and call it in. Only takes a couple minutes

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Strange goings on

I was partridge hunting up and down the east side of Travers

and there was several 1/2 tons up and down the gravel , back and forth

for quite awhile , one was a big black dually( no **** ) usually no traffic there ...

I wonder if this was at L.Bow campground parking lot ....seen a couple of altercations there in the last couple of years ....I think in this screwed up age if you are going to confront be ready to confront ...be packing ..
or let it be.

In toronto gangs of sporstman enforcing fishing laws by throwing
poachers in the water , off bridges or just plain holding them under till they cry mama .This is your resource their taking away...

I filmed two poacheesers at the spillway last summer when they realised ...what was up...they emptied the potato bag and left quickly...had those big coulee hats on ...no face shots so left it alone .
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM

This is ridiculous.

Hope they catch the guy, he deserves jail time.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Maybe the poachers will get their poaching in jail. Poaching is bad enough...but attacking someone who is videoing the poaching. Gotta stop there.

I wonder how much it would cost to install a small local cell phone repeater in the area.

If anyone knows the local cell tower company...put in the query.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Actually I called F&W because two dudes where fishing with 4 rods today. Have a ball bat in your vehicle and if they approach casually have it handy Remind you, I'm a pretty big guy and they'd be foolish to approach
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
If someone adopts a threatening posture towards you and you point it at them, and inform them that if they continue you will be forced to use it on them, and they still continue I don't think there are many police officers/ courts that would convict you of doing so. Its not like your shooting them with a gun it is non-lethal and although very painful not life threatening. I would never advocate violence for the sake of violence or using something in an irresponsible manner but if the threat of something stops the escalation into something much worse then by all means.

That being said, if you go looking for trouble you will get what your looking for. I don't know how many times I've been fishing and seen people keep stuff that was too small/ fishing with barbed hooks etc... My approach is to inform them of the rules casually in a friendly matter. If you go up to someone and say, "Hey you can't use barbed hooks" or "that's too small" you put them in a defensive state right off the bat and psychologically they lean towards aggressive behavior just because of your demeanor. If you were to walk up and have a friendly conversation first and then slip something in like, "those Mustad's are a nice hook but I prefer matzuo baitholder sickles myself, oh hey these have the barbs on them still you should flatten those fish and wild life check that and its a painful fine." The indirect polite route is much less likely to end in violence.

while I agree this is the best way of handling the issue for the majority of normal people, more often than not poachers know what they're doing is wrong and some times are not in the mood for a polite conversation so approaching one in this scenario would only end in conflict, i believe its better to just take note of the wrong doings of the poacher and report them and only in self defense should violence be called for
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM

When these guys are caught. An example of them should be made
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Can the bear spray idea.

As far as this incident is concerned, I really hope they catch these idiots and they get whats coming to them.

Secondly - DO NOT use bear spray on another person unless you FEAR DEATH OR GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM. Bear spray is a weapon.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 AM

hold em up at gunpoint lol
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
As far as this incident is concerned, I really hope they catch these idiots and they get whats coming to them.

Secondly - DO NOT use bear spray on another person unless you FEAR DEATH OR GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM. Bear spray is a weapon.
Would being punched and kicked be enough to warrant the use of bear spray as a self defense?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

So what's the problem? You come at me aggressivly and I have bear spray in my bag you can bet your house then you will be getting a quick blast in the face and I will be walking away without a care in the world and a smile on my face. Whatever it TAKES!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Probably driving a honda
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Would being punched and kicked be enough to warrant the use of bear spray as a self defense?
I don't know, would you feel the threat of grievous bodily harm or death? Use your head before you ask a stupid question.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
So what's the problem? You come at me aggressivly and I have bear spray in my bag you can bet your house then you will be getting a quick blast in the face and I will be walking away without a care in the world and a smile on my face. Whatever it TAKES!
Some reading information for you all.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171557351.html

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/07...fought-robbers

Directly from the guys who will slap the cuffs on ya :

http://langley.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPa...ontentId=24355

Don't be carrying this crap where you shouldn't be.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

when someone calls in to RAP, does anything ever happen??? This is not meant to be sarcastic. Seems to me if you call in, its kinda like calling the useless humans we refer to as "police officers". They will never help when you need them, but if you slip up they sure as hell will be right around the corner to bust you. (no I have never been fined or even warned by F&W, I dont break rules when fishing......just saying if I did I bet they would be right around the corner......)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Monger View Post
when someone calls in to RAP, does anything ever happen??? This is not meant to be sarcastic. Seems to me if you call in, its kinda like calling the useless humans we refer to as "police officers". They will never help when you need them, but if you slip up they sure as hell will be right around the corner to bust you. (no I have never been fined or even warned by F&W, I dont break rules when fishing......just saying if I did I bet they would be right around the corner......)
Sounds to me like they aren't your problem, sounds like you have run ins with the law once and a while.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds to me like they aren't your problem, sounds like you have run ins with the law once and a while.
lol doesnt most people? even for simple things? but lets stay on track b4 the thread gets derailed lol I meant if you call RAP about someone, lets say, keeping walleye from the NSR, do you think they will come rushing over and do anything about it? My guess is they will put it in their "notes" and do F all about it.....and no I dont have a deep hatred for F&W like I do for the pigs
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
lol doesnt most people? even for simple things? but lets stay on track b4 the thread gets derailed lol I meant if you call RAP about someone, lets say, keeping walleye from the NSR, do you think they will come rushing over and do anything about it? My guess is they will put it in their "notes" and do F all about it.....and no I dont have a deep hatred for F&W like I do for the pigs
I think F&W is a little to spread out. They cover more jurisdiction than the RCMP do per station/office. This will derail back to the 'how to make rap/F&G better. Anyways-they wont be 'pigs' when you need them. You probably just call them for the wrong things.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
To each their own, but if I see someone speeding I certainly don't take matters in my own hands. I let the police handle that. If I see a urinal overflowing, Im not going to fix it, I let the appropriate people know so they can do their job and I don't see why I wouldn't do the same for poaching. I'm not in a position to enforce the law, so I abide by it and report when somebody else isn't. Just my two cents.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM

I wonder if the police are analyzing the kicking style, so we can help track down these poachers. Karate has a much different style of kick than say Taekwondo or Judo, could be helpful in profiling these poachers...
Either way, a couple of fish are not worth getting your teeth kicked in, no matter what style of martial arts they use...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know, would you feel the threat of grievous bodily harm or death? Use your head before you ask a stupid question.
geez, I figured you didn't think it counted.

To me it seemed like you were saying that bear spray wasn't a good option in this situation..

You posted "can the bear spray idea" after someone suggested it could be useful against the attackers who "punched and kicked" the victim.

You even let us in on the little known fact that you can't use weapons against another person for no reason.

Thanks again.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM

RAP does work, I've made close to a dozen calls over the years and have had 5 or 6 of them result in fines being given, so it definitely does work.