Published:
October 18, 2018

Updated:
October 18, 2018 5:00 AM MDT

Filed Under:

Calgary SUN
Opinion
Columnists

Rick Bell holds a redacted copy of a Olympic document in Calgary on Wednesday, October 17, 2018. Jim Wells/Postmedia

If there was any more of a blackout, I’d have to call Enmax.

We know the city report on Olympic finances.

The document was leaked. It said there’d be costs above the $5.2-billion snow job we’re being fed by the city and the Olympic bid corporation.

Accusations ran wild. Mayor Nenshi was miffed and wanted to track down the leaker.

Jeromy Farkas was the councillor wanting the city to release the document.

Like that was going to happen.

Facing the heat, the city wrote and released a Coles Notes version of the leaked document saying about 40% of the original had been removed.

But they wouldn’t say what was removed. They showed us the pablum left in but they didn’t tell us what they took out.

Then Farkas said Calgarians should at least see the whole leaked document, even if the censored portions were blacked out.

At least, Calgarians would know what they were missing.

The city had enough of this political migraine and said Farkas would get his way. The censored report would be made public.

We never did see the city release the report publicly but I have a copy.

Farkas sums up the truth of it.

“The more interesting the stuff, the more secret it gets.”

Ah yes, the Cowtown Kremlin and its addiction to secrets.

Look at what they’ve done. Look. There’s a video as well.

Page 1. Almost nothing censored but it says little.

Page 2. A little more censored but not most.

Blacked out is a section on security costs which everyone with the intellect above a salamander thinks has been lowballed. Also getting blacked out are a few lines on providing essential services during the Games.

Page 3. More in the dark. We can’t wait to turn to the next page. The main course, the meat and potatoes, the whole enchilada.

Here it is … Page 4.

ALL BLACKED OUT.

Everything. All of it. The whole shebang except for the headings.

Revenue projections. Blacked out.

Expense projections. Blacked out.

Capital budget projections. Blacked out.

Guarantees. Blacked out.

Turn to Page 6.

Contingencies and inflation adjustments. Blacked out.

Then, another wrinkle we knew about but now see in black and white.

The report said there would be things the city must do because of the Games.

An example is costs for the moving of the Vic Park bus barns so an athletes’ village can be built there. These are not in the Olympic budget.

Now the city adds a paragraph to “clarify” the athletes’ village could go somewhere else. Right.

So here we are. Because of a leak and a councillor willing to bang his head against the wall, we find out a little but still not a lot.

“Before Calgarians didn’t know what they didn’t know. Now they know what they don’t know,” says Farkas.

“Why does a majority of city council believe we can’t trust Calgarians to look at the facts and make up their minds? It’s insulting and condescending. Let’s treat Calgarians as adults.

“Calgarians do not have the information they need to make an informed decision.”

Calgary city councillor for ward 11 Jeromy Farkas was photographed during a council session on Monday June 25, 2018. Gavin Young/Postmedia

Calgary city hall cannot help themselves. They love the closed door and the blacked-out text. It’s who they are.

They do not tolerate opposition and voting Yes to the Olympics will make these autocrats unbearable.

The arrogance, the puffed-up ego, the smirking self-righteousness will ooze from their every pore. It will be most ugly.

Farkas figures some Calgarians are getting mad.

“They’re angry but nowhere near as angry as they’ll be when they see the actual cost projections.”

Enter Sean Chu. He is the councillor who took up the No to the Olympics cause from the get-go when such a move drew ridicule.

The city came to his area earlier this week to talk to folks about the Olympics. More than 200 people wanted answers.

But you don’t always get what you want.

“The people are just in search of information, especially the financial information,” says Chu.

“People want to learn. Everyone is looking for information but they’re not finding it.”

They got the blacked-out treatment too.

On Wednesday, Franco Terrazzanno of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says at a minimum the Olympics will cost $2,057.43 per Calgary household. Could be thousands of dollars more per Calgary household with cost overruns.

Why does it take the CTF to provide a number when the city has all the numbers we don’t have?

Terrazzanno replies.

“It begs the question, what else is under the table?”

rbell@postmedia.com

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...e-olympic-dark

Bell: Calgary, this is how much you're in the Olympic dark
Rick BellMore from Rick Bell

Published:
October 18, 2018

Updated:
October 18, 2018 5:00 AM MDT

Filed Under:

Calgary SUN
Opinion
Columnists

Rick Bell holds a redacted copy of a Olympic document in Calgary on Wednesday, October 17, 2018. Jim Wells/Postmedia

If there was any more of a blackout, I’d have to call Enmax.

We know the city report on Olympic finances.

The document was leaked. It said there’d be costs above the $5.2-billion snow job we’re being fed by the city and the Olympic bid corporation.

Accusations ran wild. Mayor Nenshi was miffed and wanted to track down the leaker.

Jeromy Farkas was the councillor wanting the city to release the document.

Like that was going to happen.

Facing the heat, the city wrote and released a Coles Notes version of the leaked document saying about 40% of the original had been removed.

But they wouldn’t say what was removed. They showed us the pablum left in but they didn’t tell us what they took out.

Then Farkas said Calgarians should at least see the whole leaked document, even if the censored portions were blacked out.

At least, Calgarians would know what they were missing.

The city had enough of this political migraine and said Farkas would get his way. The censored report would be made public.

We never did see the city release the report publicly but I have a copy.

Farkas sums up the truth of it.

“The more interesting the stuff, the more secret it gets.”

Ah yes, the Cowtown Kremlin and its addiction to secrets.

Look at what they’ve done. Look. There’s a video as well.

Page 1. Almost nothing censored but it says little.

Page 2. A little more censored but not most.

Blacked out is a section on security costs which everyone with the intellect above a salamander thinks has been lowballed. Also getting blacked out are a few lines on providing essential services during the Games.

Page 3. More in the dark. We can’t wait to turn to the next page. The main course, the meat and potatoes, the whole enchilada.

Here it is … Page 4.

ALL BLACKED OUT.

Everything. All of it. The whole shebang except for the headings.

Revenue projections. Blacked out.

Expense projections. Blacked out.

Capital budget projections. Blacked out.

Guarantees. Blacked out.

Turn to Page 6.

Contingencies and inflation adjustments. Blacked out.

Then, another wrinkle we knew about but now see in black and white.

The report said there would be things the city must do because of the Games.

An example is costs for the moving of the Vic Park bus barns so an athletes’ village can be built there. These are not in the Olympic budget.

Now the city adds a paragraph to “clarify” the athletes’ village could go somewhere else. Right.

So here we are. Because of a leak and a councillor willing to bang his head against the wall, we find out a little but still not a lot.

“Before Calgarians didn’t know what they didn’t know. Now they know what they don’t know,” says Farkas.

“Why does a majority of city council believe we can’t trust Calgarians to look at the facts and make up their minds? It’s insulting and condescending. Let’s treat Calgarians as adults.

“Calgarians do not have the information they need to make an informed decision.”

Calgary city councillor for ward 11 Jeromy Farkas was photographed during a council session on Monday June 25, 2018. Gavin Young/Postmedia

Calgary city hall cannot help themselves. They love the closed door and the blacked-out text. It’s who they are.

They do not tolerate opposition and voting Yes to the Olympics will make these autocrats unbearable.

The arrogance, the puffed-up ego, the smirking self-righteousness will ooze from their every pore. It will be most ugly.

Farkas figures some Calgarians are getting mad.

“They’re angry but nowhere near as angry as they’ll be when they see the actual cost projections.”

Enter Sean Chu. He is the councillor who took up the No to the Olympics cause from the get-go when such a move drew ridicule.

The city came to his area earlier this week to talk to folks about the Olympics. More than 200 people wanted answers.

But you don’t always get what you want.

“The people are just in search of information, especially the financial information,” says Chu.

“People want to learn. Everyone is looking for information but they’re not finding it.”

They got the blacked-out treatment too.

On Wednesday, Franco Terrazzanno of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says at a minimum the Olympics will cost $2,057.43 per Calgary household. Could be thousands of dollars more per Calgary household with cost overruns.

Why does it take the CTF to provide a number when the city has all the numbers we don’t have?

Terrazzanno replies.

“It begs the question, what else is under the table?”

rbell@postmedia.com
Sounds like the USSR!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM

https://engage.calgary.ca/2026Games?redirect=/2026games

I've commented on the city site.

Very few positive comments.

Still...Nenshi is push...push...push.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-28-2018, 02:11 PM

Looks like it could all be over on Monday already:
https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...-funding-furor
Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 PM

Good news, kill it, send a ham to the widow.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 PM

I guess if they can give 2 and a half billion to bail out Chrysler/ dodge and a billion to bail out GMC who are supposed to be profit making corps then they can give 1.7 billion for some olympic games. But then I still am not sure how Calgary is going to benefit long term from the party.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I guess if they can give 2 and a half billion to bail out Chrysler/ dodge and a billion to bail out GMC who are supposed to be profit making corps then they can give 1.7 billion for some olympic games. But then I still am not sure how Calgary is going to benefit long term from the party.
Difference being one paid the money back. Olympics... nope.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Difference being one paid the money back. Olympics... nope.
Mooseknuckle.. No Chrysler didn't pay it back and the Feds just wrote it off as a bad debt.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Funny how he was ALL for it no matter what the costs, until Calgary 2026 Survey came out..lol Frickin Purple Monkey.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Funny how he was ALL for it no matter what the costs, until Calgary 2026 Survey came out..lol Frickin Purple Monkey.
He knows the plebicite would have been NO and he is covering his ass and will cancel it....
Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
He knows the plebicite would have been NO and he is covering his ass and will cancel it....
Yup, when he was an MRU political commentator for Global all he did was complain how the council at the time spent too much money.

His first campaign he kept saying he was a poor little kid who grew up in Forest Lawn who knew the value of a dollar and he would control spending.

His property tax increases have been multiples of the inflation rate every year, except election years of course.

He's a slippery as they get and always trying to run to the front of whatever parade looks like it will be successful. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Calgary Olympic bid and plebescite to be cancelled

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ipal-1.4882828

It's obvious that the funds are not there to support this, so they are supposed to shut down the committee and cancel the plebescite. AMEN!

My understanding is that the Swedish bid is dead or on life support and the Italian bid is really sketchy. Will be interesting to sit back and see what the IOC does to try to find a host........

I am glad that this seems to be dead!
I think the benefits are grossly exaggerated and the costs are typically low-balled.

What's really silly is all this talk about the Olympics encouraging young people to take up sports.........I expect that lasts about a week and then they are watching the next thing on their phone/Ipad/netbook and Olympic sports are a distant memory!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
My understanding is that the Swedish bid is dead or on life support and the Italian bid is really sketchy. Will be interesting to sit back and see what the IOC does to try to find a host........
They told Salt Lake City to be on standby. Dump it on em!

The IOC is going to have to rework their funding model and start helping host city's out with costs and much more realistic profit sharing or they will cease to exist in short order.

Love seeing the IOC squirm like this after shafting almost every host city in history, looks good on em
Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 AM

We can't get pipelines built or world market price for our oil, we can't afford this. Every working stiff in Alberta will get the shaft on this through higher taxes. It is like buying a new car with out knowing the purchase price. There is always hidden cost and cost over runs and forced accounts. We need to get our federal, provincial, and city governments back in line to reality/accountability.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Mary figured out the issue, you guys just don't understand whats going on....

""This is a great opportunity for Calgarians," Calgary 2026 chief executive officer Mary Moran said. "Now it's important for them to get informed and understand this is a good deal."

Sounds like you guys/we are getting the Olympics.

TSN
Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
We can't get pipelines built or world market price for our oil, we can't afford this. Every working stiff in Alberta will get the shaft on this through higher taxes. It is like buying a new car with out knowing the purchase price. There is always hidden cost and cost over runs and forced accounts. We need to get our federal, provincial, and city governments back in line to reality/accountability.
People of Calgary and Canada are not angry enough yet. The politicians will keep pushing the envelope. Until they cannot. Then the ropes come out. I estimate about 7-10 more years of this BS. Then the sovereign debt crisis comes. What year is this Olympics ?? Commodities will peak around 2025-26. The bull run has started. There maybe $$$ around.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Council voted last night to go ahead with a NON BINDING PLEBISCITE!

Hahaha non binding plebiscite!

OH YA THE FIX IS IN.

YOU HAVE NO SAY.

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:40 PM

I live in Calgary and would like to know how much my property tax will go up and for how many years. The problem with taxes is once they go up they never come back down.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM

this is a disaster... I want to see a transparent and objective analysis of the bid, but city council will now show me the numbers, sorry but this is a definite NO
Old 11-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Does anybody even watch the Olympics? Don't they hand everybody a medal for "participating"?...I'm kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Too much politics, too much wasted money when cities could put efforts into something that actually helps the people in them. Calgary can't afford it, taxpayers don't want it...make it go away.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:43 PM

You know I have been thinking pot "Coffee Houses" would increase tourism faster and cheaper than a second run at the Olympics
Old 11-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Too much politics, too much wasted money when cities could put efforts into something that actually helps the people in them. Calgary can't afford it, taxpayers don't want it...make it go away.

This rings so true.
Typical politicians who have the easiest jobs in the world. Dreaming up ridiculous ways to spend other peoples money. Olympics lose money, only the IOC makes money, and lots of it.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Does anybody even watch the Olympics? Don't they hand everybody a medal for "participating"?...I'm kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Don't you want to watch transgendered men compete and win gold medals in WOMEN'S sports?

Don't assume their genders!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVktCIXd2qo
Old 11-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I live in Calgary and would like to know how much my property tax will go up and for how many years. The problem with taxes is once they go up they never come back down.
Well, you'll have to wait to see how many billions the cost overrun is. Rest assured your civic government will be the only one picking up the over expenditures. So the answer lies somewhere between plenty and a crap load.

But I'm sure they already have a date in mind for when it's all paid off and your taxes will be reduced. Of course that date is the elevennteenth of Neverember.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:31 PM

Heard on the news today the yes group has a budget of a million dollars to get the vote won
The no group has a budget of a thousand dollars.

go figure
Old 11-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Default "We are not responsible for cost overruns..."

And now this:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ment-1.4890498

So who'll be left holding the bag? Calgarians.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM

The current bid budget is like the one that comes into your company at less than half of the rest of the competition... you know the people behind it are either stupid or crooked and that taking that bid is not going to end well.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
And now this:

StatsCan (Trudeau) snooping it's diseased head into our
bank accounts is starting to make a wee bit sense now..
"We have deemed so & so project a go, yes, the tax payers can afford it"
Old 11-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
And now this:

As they should be.. If buddy spends an extra $100 million on LRT expansion/fieldhouse/arena/housing/etc., you think the province/nation should be left holding the bag?