Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 08:49 PM

Default Grizzly puts hunter in Calgary hospital few hours ago

A team of Conservation Officers responded to a report of a bear attack near Elkford on Thursday afternoon.

At approx. 2 p.m., a man was hunting when he was attacked by a bear. He was able to use his firearm to defend himself and managed to call for help. The bear ran off and its location was not known to first responders.

At the time of the call there was no information if the bear was alive or wounded.

A multi-agency response included RCMP, fire, ambulance, and local SAR teams.

The victim suffered significant injuries and was transported from the area via a helicopter long line response and flown to hospital in Calgary, where he remains.
Conservation Officers conducted a sweep of the attack site as they searched for the bear.

After an extensive search, shortly after 9 p.m, CO’s located a deceased a grizzly bear in the area. Officers are confident that they located the bear involved in the attack. The bear succumbed to its wounds.

Last edited by W921; 05-17-2024 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:50 PM

Lucky he forgot his bear spray at home......

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-17-2024, 08:53 PM

For those without FB:

Quote:
Grizzly Bear Attack |

A team of Conservation Officers responded to a report of a bear attack near Elkford on Thursday afternoon.

At approx. 2 p.m., a man was hunting when he was attacked by a bear. He was able to use his firearm to defend himself and managed to call for help. The bear ran off and its location was not known to first responders.

At the time of the call there was no information if the bear was alive or wounded.

A multi-agency response included RCMP, fire, ambulance, and local SAR teams.

The victim suffered significant injuries and was transported from the area via a helicopter long line response and flown to hospital in Calgary, where he remains.

Conservation Officers conducted a sweep of the attack site as they searched for the bear.

After an extensive search, shortly after 9 p.m, CO’s located a deceased a grizzly bear in the area. Officers are confident that they located the bear involved in the attack. The bear succumbed to its wounds.

CO’s continue to co-ordinate with their colleagues today, including Alberta Fish and Wildlife, to interview the victim and retain evidence.

The COS would like to wish the victim a speedy recovery and thank their law enforcement and emergency responder partners for their assistance. #BCCOS #Elkford
Old 05-17-2024, 08:59 PM

Thanks SB. Took me so long to edit that you already had it done before I realized .
Old 05-17-2024, 09:01 PM

I love how they constantly humanize animals. It’s the root of much of these problems.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-17-2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Lucky he forgot his bear spray at home......
The story I got from another source is they were hunting Black Bear with dogs, legal in BC and ran into the unfriendly cousin. Given the area, wouldn't seem to be a smart move.

✓ Hunting with an appropriate licence is necessary. Black bear licence fees on Vancouver Island vary for BC and non-BC residents. Hunting a black bear less than two years old or any bear in its company is unlawful. Hunters can use unleashed dogs to hunt black bears.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-17-2024, 11:50 PM

If your going out to kill bears and no matter which species gets you ,tuff luck .

The bears never complains, so tit for tat .I know a guy who played with a large bull moose and got busted up badly ,your in there zone where they live ,so tuff luck.

If they bother farm animals or busting up homes then take them out ,if your going into bear country and expect a welcoming party then your a bit short upstairs .There out there ,like or not .It's not your home.it belongs to them for as long as we can go back . You can make it your home,but big bears have a homes also.I won't hang a bear rug if you paid me 20k , I had bear problems for 40 years . I new from day one ,I was in there domain so whatever happened that was my fault .

The root is humans being where a large predator lives ,some here would love to supply every family member with tags and kill them all . Go for it ,but if your short a family member ,just remember who went after who .

If you cliff dive and hit the rocks,who do you blame the cliff,damn you took the jump ,so bear hunters who go to harm them or don't under stand them ,if you lose a bit of fur go cry in the mirror .

If your eating these bears that's another deal ,which I ate tons of in my life , don't care for it now so I have as much use for a bear hide as getting an std.

Humanize animals ,hope about humans trying to feed there ego in killing a bear.

Last edited by JD848; 05-17-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:50 AM

Default Hunting bears is not an ego thing for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
If your going out to kill bears and no matter which species gets you ,tuff luck .

The bears never complains, so tit for tat .I know a guy who played with a large bull moose and got busted up badly ,your in there zone where they live ,so tuff luck.

If they bother farm animals or busting up homes then take them out ,if your going into bear country and expect a welcoming party then your a bit short upstairs .There out there ,like or not .It's not your home.it belongs to them for as long as we can go back . You can make it your home,but big bears have a homes also.I won't hang a bear rug if you paid me 20k , I had bear problems for 40 years . I new from day one ,I was in there domain so whatever happened that was my fault .

The root is humans being where a large predator lives ,some here would love to supply every family member with tags and kill them all . Go for it ,but if your short a family member ,just remember who went after who .

If you cliff dive and hit the rocks,who do you blame the cliff,damn you took the jump ,so bear hunters who go to harm them or don't under stand them ,if you lose a bit of fur go cry in the mirror .

If your eating these bears that's another deal ,which I ate tons of in my life , don't care for it now so I have as much use for a bear hide as getting an std.

So your saying we should just let them over populate and let them decimate the ungulate calf and fawn numbers?
Old 05-18-2024, 06:56 AM

I have never blocked anyone on here. Not yet.
Speedy recovery to the injured hunter.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:

How myopic.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2024, 07:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam lucky fella.
Be nice after he recovers to hear what took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I quit reading at “in their domain”……..
Old 05-18-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Nice lecture pal.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Your second and third paragraphs contradict each other.

If your ranching or your home is “in their domain” then tuff luck to you too. If you’re going to shoot a bear for harassing or killing livestock or busting up your home then tuff luck!

I’ve spent a ton of time hunting and fishing the foot hills of Alberta over the years. Always had respect for where I was and knew the consequences if I let my guard down.

BW
Old 05-18-2024, 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear about his tragedy, wish him a speedy recovery. Glad to see he used the proper lead bear spray.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dam lucky fella.
Be nice after he recovers to hear what took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bet he'll never forget it. One of those stories you tell your grandkids.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-18-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Bet he'll never forget it. One of those stories you tell your grandkids.
Does he get to keep the bear? It would be nice to have the rug to go with the story.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:55 PM

I am going to reserve comment until I get the hunter's side of the story about how things went down during the hunt.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:25 PM

If your goin into bear country you better be packing a fire arm to protect yourself. If you carry bear spray and a gun Probly a good idea. Never blame the animal or person for an attack. This guy was armed and lucky to be alive and he killed the bear also which is good cause it just saved the CO’s a bullet or another attack. Probly a good start for bio’s and alberta government to think hard about a hunting season for grizzly again.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Does he get to keep the bear? It would be nice to have the rug to go with the story.

ARG
Come gather round grand kids and let me tell you the tale of that bear skin....

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
No. Wildlife killed in defence of life or property remain the property of the Crown (Province). Pictures probably. He’ll likely have enough physical evidence to show for a great story.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:29 PM

Great to hear he is going to recover!

Yes, I don't think he will be able to keep the hide which is to bad. That is if he wants it, lol.
I think I would, but maybe for some it would be to traumatic, I don't know.

If he was hunting, probably like me, he is a true, animal, wildlife admirer, loves and understands them more than any vegan or anti hunter could understand.

When an animal attacks you, no matter the reason, you are going to defend yourself the best you can.

Keep safe out there everyone.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I was looking for the face palm emoji
Old 05-18-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:

The rare Fudd-Boomer combo!
Old 05-18-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
I was looking for the face palm emoji
Here it is

Head Plant.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:26 PM

Both Dad and the injured adult son are experienced cat and bear hunters. Have been running dogs longer than I have known them (20+ years). Long family roots in the Elk Valley.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:29 PM

For one I really hope both are OK and get well. Guess I ticked a few guys off,well it was meant to do just that.

I really don't care who hunts bears and I sure don't like to see anyone get hurt or there livestock killed . take as many bears as you can.

So why did I write this ,I will tell the reason why.

A young girl was killed by a bear and two comments were made about her a while back.

The comment about how could a bear eat a stinking tree planter and another comment something along the same line . there was much more ,but that's as far as I go.

I made a rude comment as soon as I read the post and contacted Bob the mod and he took it down,it was up for hours .Some one thinking it was a damn joke about a bear killing a young girl really a child,not a hunter just a kid trying to do her job.

One parent read this because I was contacted and thanked for getting it off line .

No time out or nothing for the worst post every , yet you tell one member off your tagged with a time out .

I truly feel sorry for the hunter ,but you write one crazy post which it was and boom everyone chirps .yet no one spoke out after the terrible comment about the girl .

Have a nice day AO.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:39 PM

^ so it was all drama…….smh….. lol
Old 05-19-2024, 05:09 AM

Quote:
For one I really hope both are OK and get well. Guess I ticked a few guys off,well it was meant to do just that.

I really don't care who hunts bears and I sure don't like to see anyone get hurt or there livestock killed . take as many bears as you can.

So why did I write this ,I will tell the reason why.

A young girl was killed by a bear and two comments were made about her a while back.

The comment about how could a bear eat a stinking tree planter and another comment something along the same line . there was much more ,but that's as far as I go.

I made a rude comment as soon as I read the post and contacted Bob the mod and he took it down,it was up for hours .Some one thinking it was a damn joke about a bear killing a young girl really a child,not a hunter just a kid trying to do her job.

One parent read this because I was contacted and thanked for getting it off line .

No time out or nothing for the worst post every , yet you tell one member off your tagged with a time out .

I truly feel sorry for the hunter ,but you write one crazy post which it was and boom everyone chirps .yet no one spoke out after the terrible comment about the girl .

Have a nice day AO.
I don’t remember seeing the one about the tree planter, when was that?
I don’t really see the relation between your post and the saddest posts of that thread. I’m not quite getting what your saying.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:07 AM

No one does.

-Billy Molls