Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Exclamation How much will this cost us?

Health Minister Fred Horne has axed the entire Alberta Health Services board, including chairman Stephen Lockwood, after the directors defied his wishes to shoot down executive bonuses.

On Tuesday, Horne issued an 11th hour directive to AHS to rethink the pay-at-risk, worth up to $3.2 million to 99 executives for 2012-13.

But in a snap board meeting, AHS went ahead with the bonuses, to fulfil the previously-agreed on contracts.

On Wednesday, Horne said the move led him to fire the entire 10-person board. He announced the firings today in Lethbridge.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...#ixzz2W1ZSbTK5
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Might be a wash. Save the $3.2 but spend that in comp and re-hiring
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Hmmm ... management by shotgun!

Thanks for the heads-up MOM! It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Mac (a.k.a. TF)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Hmmm ... management by shotgun!

Thanks for the heads-up MOM! It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Mac (a.k.a. TF)
The way I am seeing it is it will cost us double or triple what the bonuses would be.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Re-hire with performance based pay.
Poor performance = regular pay. What the rest of us average out to makes.
Fix healthcare system, eliminate wait times, hire enough doctors, enough beds for sick = Unicorns farting rainbows will deliver your solid gold bonus cheque.
I'm guessing somewhere inbetween.

This current debacle probably cost us a couple million. Bord should have their seperation papers say "with prejudice' in the 'why were they fired' slot.
Make it tougher to wallow up to the trough again. Maybe.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Health Minister Fred Horne has axed the entire Alberta Health Services board, including chairman Stephen Lockwood, after the directors defied his wishes to shoot down executive bonuses.

On Tuesday, Horne issued an 11th hour directive to AHS to rethink the pay-at-risk, worth up to $3.2 million to 99 executives for 2012-13.

But in a snap board meeting, AHS went ahead with the bonuses, to fulfil the previously-agreed on contracts.

I've been looking for another "retirement job". My current part-time one doesn't pay enough to buy more toys.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Well that should buy them more time and more excuses since the last report card on Health Care wasn't any better than the one previous.

Now he'll be able to blame the guys he canned and the need for further restructuiring for all of his woes.

On the up side he should be able to hire them back at a reduced rate or fill the board with cronies and yes men.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM

The board is paid a honorairium thus no severence package to be paid out. At least that is what was stated in either the journal or the herald.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Folks, remember that the AHS board are NOT employees and do not technically get a salary (but do get an honorarium) and are different then the Senior exec (paid employees). So possibly do not fall under regular termination type rules, etc. (I don't know for sure)... The Senior execs may or may not have a basis for legal action for what is listed in their "contracts" (don't get me started as AHS didn't honor their contract with me)... But if they expect the rest of the employees to take 3 year salary freeze, they need to walk the talk, as well IMO!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 06-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM

So let me get this straight... they were [promised certain things if they delivered.... They delivered; and demanded the contractual agreement was honoured and they get canned...

Fioring one of the best contract lawyers in Alberta... ooohh oooh not smart...

He was brought into a successful public company for a reason years ago.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
So let me get this straight... they were promised certain things if they delivered.... They delivered; and demanded the contractual agreement was honoured and they get canned...
What did they deliver exactly??

Here is a good article...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...209/story.html

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Last edited by molly; 06-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Smile Firing the board

Finally, they have just been a front for AHS anyway, this will have no effect at the front end. The board are appointed out of a select group of friends of the PC party through what is called an order in council (the cabinet) and serve "at the pleasure " of the government, they can be turfed any time.

This is a good time to make real and necessary changes!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
So let me get this straight... they were [promised certain things if they delivered.... They delivered; and demanded the contractual agreement was honoured and they get canned...
Yep, much as I might not like the idea of the bonuses, re-negging on contracts written a year or more ago is worse (especially if it's true they saved 100 million as part of the bonus incentivization).

Political Optics. The bigger problem is that after this and the Duckett nonsense, anyone capable of making good, high level decisions within AHS would be crazy to consider being part of the process.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM

"All the world's a stage"

Who is going to fall for this act? ....
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM

It will probably end up costing all of us more than $3.2 mil but I'm still glad they did it. I hate the Conservative government but when you tell someone "NO, don't give yourself these bonuses and things" and they turn around and do it anyways, they deserve to be fired. That wouldn't be tolerated in any other workplace, AHS should not be the exception. They haven't been doing a good job anyways! Failing grade=No Bonus. Period!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
It will probably end up costing all of us more than $3.2 mil but I'm still glad they did it. I hate the Conservative government but when you tell someone "NO, don't give yourself these bonuses and things" and they turn around and do it anyways, they deserve to be fired. That wouldn't be tolerated in any other workplace, AHS should not be the exception. They haven't been doing a good job anyways! Failing grade=No Bonus. Period!
They guys fired weren't the ones receiving the bonus'.

The bonus' were for 99 other executives that the board was overseeing. The contracts written included bonus' for performance. The government was aware of these contracts and their conditions. The contracts conditions were met.

So, we'll get to foot the provincial bill for fighting 99 breach of contract suits.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Angry

Apparently several of the 99 execs did not want their bonuses but the AHS board refused their request. I think it is sad that they have to offer these kind of incentives to high-level execs already drawing hefty salaries for doing their goddamn JOB!! This is not an oil company with shareholders!! They are running our HEALTH CARE SYSTEM!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

On Wednesday, Horne said the move led him to fire the entire 10-person board. He announced the firings today in Lethbridge.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...#ixzz2W1ZSbTK5
It may be the first signs that there are consequences being in pubic service and that you can't simply grab a bigger nipple on the Great Fat Sow when you feel like it.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/donate.php

If you need their help.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/case.php