Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 AM

Default Yes or no

I have a step daughter visiting and she has a problem with alcohol,my wife wants to give her the use of one of our vehicles,which is against my wishes because of the consequences that may arise,accidents and insurance,she has had 2 accidents in several years and a DUI,what would be your approach?Thanks
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
my wife wants to give her the use of one of our vehicles,
Are you expecting friction if you protest what the wife wants? Weigh out the pros and cons of you resisting her wishes, then decide.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:41 AM

The best thing to do IMO is to call your insurance agent and see what it would take to put her on your insurance as occasional driver. If the girl can afford the 500 a month or more, let her pay for it. Your insurer may advise against insuring such a driver too.

Had sort of a situation where my elderly mother was letting her 85 year old friend/neighbor drive her car. I learned that if he had an accident she could have lost everything unless he was down as an occasional driver. My concern was he was quite deaf and had poor eyesight which is just as bad as an impaired driver. He no longer drives my mothers car.

The key is for everyone to put emotions aside and look at the situation objectively and logically. Estates can be lost.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The best thing to do IMO is to call your insurance agent and see what it would take to put her on your insurance as occasional driver. If the girl can afford the 500 a month or more, let her pay for it. Your insurer may advise against insuring such a driver too.

Had sort of a situation where my elderly mother was letting her 85 year old friend/neighbor drive her car. I learned that if he had an accident she could have lost everything unless he was down as an occasional driver. My concern was he was quite deaf and had poor eyesight which is just as bad as an impaired driver. He no longer drives my mothers car.
This-Let the insurance company be the bad guy

Otherwise make sure she only has use of your Wife's vehicle
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

No, your handing her the weapon now she goes out to buy the bullets, you know there is a problem, so no to the vehicles.
Your worried about accidents...she is going to kill someone.
No.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 AM
Banned

nope, nope, nope, nope...........................
Not sure how it could be construed as a good idea.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Banned

Buy her a bus pass.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Not a chance, she can use Uber. This is almost a no brainer.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 AM

So lets see, she is drunk and kills someone in your car. Even if she is covered on your insurance, they will refuse to pay or sues you and your daughter for recovery. You loose everything you own paying off the civil suit. Other possibility, your wife gets really ****ed off and divorces you. You loose half of what you own. I like half better, personally. Choice however is yours.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM

Excellent analogy Dean,
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM

If you let a person drive your car who is not insured through either your insurance, or hers as a driver (with an active policy which covers her for the use of your vehicle) - You are 100% responsible and on the hook if she kills someone. there is no insurance company in the world that would cover you otherwise.

And, keep in mind, if she was impaired, there has been legal precedence where they have refused to cover the liability if the insured person was impaired as it a condition of insurability - so you are still on the hook.

NO WAY

Put the foot down. Trying to "accommodate" someone to be "nice" versus this HUGE risk is asinine. Your wife should be ashamed at herself for even putting you in a situation where you feel guilty for saying NO to such an obvious no brainer.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Case in Point .......

Denial of Coverage from your Insurance Company

Automobile insurance covers negligence and perhaps even gross negligence or reckless conduct, depending on what your policy says. But no insurance policy covers intentional conduct.

Some automobile insurers like to argue that drinking and driving is intentional conduct that will allow the company to disclaim coverage for damages resulting from a DUI. The insurers argue that the driver intentionally put him or herself in a position to cause the accident -- i.e., the driver intentionally drank alcohol, intentionally got drunk, intentionally drove after getting drunk, and knew or should have known that drinking and driving is extremely dangerous.

If you cause an accident while you are intoxicated, your auto insurer will at least investigate the circumstances of your accident before it agrees to accept liability for damages relating to your accident.

If the insurer takes the position that you acted intentionally to cause the accident, it may refuse to defend you and will deny coverage for damages relating to your accident. This is especially true if you're trying to get coverage for injuries to other drivers and passengers.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Does she have a valid license and a car that is presently insured?

If that's all good I would be fine with giving her the car to do some daytime shopping or running around, but not if she's going out for the night with friends, drinking, etc.

Other alternatives I might consider:
-have HER rent a car and you give her the money to pay for it. Then the risk is between her and rental company but wife is happy you are picking up tab and daughter has transport. All it costs is money but you have marital peace.
-you pay for Uber or cab.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 AM

How long is she visiting? If it is a couple of days that is one thing but if it is for 18 months that is another.

Couple of days - she rents a car or pays for taxis
Months - Let her buy a beater and insurance (you can help her with the finances). Even then you should be setting rules or guidelines about her use of it.

Would you hand over the keys to your car to your own kid if s/he has a drinking and driving problem?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Give a drunk access to a vehicle??? HELL NO. Stupid got herself in trouble, it's her own problem. She can walk or peddle.

Tell the wife this is absolutely unacceptable and grounds for a divorce if she proceeds. Dean highlighted the potential consequences. Half is better than none.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Send her to AA
Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Zero chance. A job pays for insurance and a vehicle, she needs all 3.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
How long is she visiting? If it is a couple of days that is one thing but if it is for 18 months that is another.

Couple of days - she rents a car or pays for taxis
Months - Let her buy a beater and insurance (you can help her with the finances). Even then you should be setting rules or guidelines about her use of it.
^ I would go with this option.

She made the mistake of driving under the influence andgetting a DUI, she needs to deal with the consequences. You are still being accommodating without putting yourself at risk.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 AM

If she's an adult she can rent a car herself, but based on her history she's probably better off taking a cab or a bicycle. Don't let yourself be the enabler that suffers consequences of her actions.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM

You had me til DUI.. That's a hard NOPE.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have a step daughter visiting and she has a problem with alcohol,my wife wants to give her the use of one of our vehicles,which is against my wishes because of the consequences that may arise,accidents and insurance,she has had 2 accidents in several years and a DUI,what would be your approach?Thanks
Is she in AA, sober? If the answer is no, then so should be yours! I sure wouldn't lend my vehicle to a drunk! (Even though I used to be one)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM

no way!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks guys for the opinions,yes to say the least its an awful lot of worry for me so no will have to be my answer,and like someone suggested Get her to rent a car and insure it and I'll pay the bill,at least that way if she has an accident I won't end up being sued.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Get her to rent a car and insure it and I'll pay the bill,.
Just make sure you give HER the money and not the rental car company. You don't want your name and credit card legally associated with the rental.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just make sure you give HER the money and not the rental car company. You don't want your name and credit card legally associated with the rental.
Thanks again
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM

NO...
Old 07-26-2017, 02:12 PM

You got your answer, rent her a cheap little economy car on her CC, you can give her the cash to cover it. Way cheaper if something happens and wife should be happy.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM

DO NOT!!! It is not your responsibility to provide her with a vehicle, her actions are most likely the reason she doesn't drive, she screwed up her insurance, now there's a chance she can screw up yours. Let her learn her lesson the hard way! Do not let her drive under your insurance, because it will end up being on your dime! IMO!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Buck no. Darned auto-correct.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM

Depends. Is she likely to start drinking during the day? If so tell her not even maybe. Use your discretion. Butbif your wife gives her the keys and you have any idea that she may have been drinking. Call the cops pronto