Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Question How to properly care for an antelope?

Hey guys. So I drew my first antelope tag this year, I've never hunted them before but I've heard that their hide is very delicate and needs extra care. So I guess I'm wondering what that extra care looks like.
If you want to mount it do you just cape it like a deer? Does it (cape) need to be in a cooler ASAP? I'll be 2-3 hours from home so I don't want the hair slipping etc. Any advice would be appreceiated TIA
Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM

You should get the cape and head to your taxidermist right away if you can. I recommend asking your taxidermist if he wants you to freeze it or salt it if you can't get it to him right away. I believe more taxidermists will now say to freeze the cape.

The big thing to know is that the hair breaks away from the cape very easily. Don't drag the animal anywhere. Place it carefully and don't tie a rope around it to hold it in place when you haul it.

Good luck!

cutthroat
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 PM

If you can skin the cape off of the carcass and get it and the head in a cooler you will be better off, Even better if you can cape it right off of the head. That being said if you are not confident to take it off the head you had best leave it for the taxi guy.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the feed back guys.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM

When you get one don't drag it...antelope have very thin skin and I've seen the entire side of hair removed after dragging a few huntred yards.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM

From my research, the common thread is get it taken apart and in a cooler immediately. This goes for the meat as well. Most recommend buying a large high quality cooler and either putting it in a freezer or packing it with ice 2-3 days ahead to cool the insulation. Keep it full of ice and only dump what you need to fit the antelope parts in. It is better to bring the cooler to the antelope than trying to haul the animal to the cooler.

Also, the hair can be simply pulled off even minutes after the kill, so handle gently.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:03 PM

If you drag it even a short distance hair will pull off Get the head and cape ( take it off well behind front leg so taxidermist has extra to work with) frozen asap. I always take one of those small apartment freezers in box of my half ton. They would hold 3 antelope and I can pick it up and put in box myself A small generator or long extension cord if you have a plug access is all you need
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM

I would use salt on the capes if possible over a cooler, two buddies last year had their antelope capes frozen within 12 hrs of being shot and both slipped to the point they couldn't use them. The hot temps can be deceiving on how fast the bacteria will grow. Salt will solve that problem.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM

Every that has been said so far I would echo. The sooner you can get it to a taxidermist or the freezer the better. If you are confident enough to get the cape off the head you still need to freeze it right away or cool it down. Throw it in a creek or something to cool it off if you can't get to a taxidermist right away. Even 12 hours in the warmth will spoil the hide. If you have to leave hunting camp for a few hours to get it to a taxidermist do it! let them take care of it. I know guys will say salt the cape but I say your better off freezing it unless you know how to turn the eyes, lips, ears and get all the chunks of meat off before you salt. If you don't the salt doesn't penetrate through the meat and fatty stuff to pull the moisture out and it will slip all over. Also never salt it and put it in the freezer. Do one or the other. I am amazed at how many people salt the hide with meat and stuff still on and then freeze. They forget about it and pull it out a few weeks later to take to taxidermist and the hide never froze in the freezer and will spoil and slip. Why? Salt doesn't let the hide freeze. Thats why they put salt on the highways. Don't worry about blood and stuff on the hide, it all comes out in the tanning process. Don't get in too big of hurry and forget good field photos! Also take some reference pictures for your taxidermist. close up pics of the eyes, ears, nose, horns, the head itself, side view profile, ect. will go a long way to help get a great mount back.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Thanks! Another question, should I be wearing orange? It is a rifle season but if the opportunity arises I will try to take him with a bow so I'll have a decoy. Does orange freak them out? Haha Don't want to get shot but also don't want to freak them out.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 PM

Not to sure about a decoy during rifle season. Could cause issues and I would definatly wear orange if doing so.