Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Got my RH Bow, Pics added

As I'm looking at buying a new bow, I thought I'd check in with the experience on here. I am right eye dominant, but have always shot a left hand bow, same as a slingshot. It feels wrong to draw with my right hand. Right out of the gate as soon as I was old enough to shoot I always drew with my left hand. I haven't shot in about 5yrs, but I do remember that when I look at my sight pins they are barely sticking out from view of the riser and this got me to thinking that perhaps I should try harder with a right hand bow. For what it's worth I never took any animals except chickens with a bow, but I could always drive em in the bull with my left hand bow. What doe's everybody think?

Thanks, Homesteader.

P.S. I'll be checking Tropy book out first, as it is the closet.

Last edited by Homesteader; 06-20-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Pics added.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Your best bet is to go to a pro shop and shoot a right handed bow. and then decide.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Default right or left hand bow

By what you've written, I'm guessing you do a lot of things right handed. If that's the case, you should be able to switch to a right handed bow with some practice. I would hit the pro shops and try my best to shoot right hand since you're right eye dominant. Start with low poundage!

But it's not the end of the world for a right eye dominant shooter to shoot left handed. It's only the end of the world if you don't pick up a bow at all!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will for sure try a right handed bow, but like you say the poundage will have to be a fair bit lower. I do do everything else right handed, hockey, golf, shooting, so I'm not sure why it feels so uncoordinated drawing a bow with my right hand.

Any other tips?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM

We're all individuals and we should do things the way that feels "natural" for us. It's just worth trying to match shooting hand preference with eye dominance. But here, the truly natural aspect of this equation is your eye dominance, so it's best to start here and try to get comfortable shooting right handed. You're simply looking for the technical ideal...

As a side note, my brother is right eye dominant, shoots a bow right handed, but when he picks up a slingshot, it feels "natural" shooting left handed. Go figure!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

I am very right handed. Hell I can hardly brush my teeth left handed. Right eye dominate and shoot bow and rifle right handed. But golf, hockey, hitting a baseball, chopping wood, sling shot are all left handed. Have no idea why but that is the way I am.

Try right handed but if it doesn't work for you and you can be accurate then shoot left.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM

I'm in a similar situation... I shoot rifle/bow left-handed, write left-handed, but play hockey and golf right-handed. With raquet sports I alternate hands...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Went to Trophy book today shot several mathews and a mission all right handed. I was a little unsteady, but shot ok so I'm going to make the leap to a right handed bow. Waiting for a hyperlite to come in and see if it feels like a dxt as it felt the best of the bows I shot. I may try some others but the Mathews felt good and the service was excellent.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Took the plunge and got a Ross Carnivore 31 today in a RH. Feels even smoother than the DXT, although they both felt very good. I thought I was set on a Mathews, but the Ross just felt a tiny bit better. Anyways thought I'd post an update, thanks for the responses.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the update. Post some pics of it and keep us informed of your progress.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 PM

Here's some pics. I can't say enough good stuff about Accurate Archery. Lawrence has the gear, the service, and great pricing. I picked my bow up today, he had it all set up as requested and we spent the afternoon doing walk back tuning out to 60yds. I was blown away, haven't shot a bow in 5yrs, switched from left to right, brand new bow, and Lawrence had me hitting the bullseye all the way out to 60yds. If you're looking for smooth this is it. What an incredible bow to shoot, and as silent as they come. , can you tell I'm happy.

For the fine print it is:
RH Ross Carnivore
DL set to 28"
Weight of 60lbs, dialed down to 54 for my weakling arms
Tru Glo 5pin with light
Octane Quiver
G5 rest
Easton Arrows
Rage 100g 3blades
Silver Horn release

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM

Default nice

Great looking bow. Good luck practicing.