Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
I read the information. I just don't agree with you regarding how that information is interpreted.

The lack of growth is directly related to the forage base, size, and quality of the water body, I think everyone would agree on that. Put a walleye fry in your fish tank at home, and no matter what or how much you feed it, it isn't going to grow to be a 10lber. Reproduction is limited by the same factors. There won't be a big recruitment year class until there's room in the lake for them to actually compete and survive.

The fishery won't die. It won't stay the same as it is today, but it's not going to die unless it's opened up to unregulated harvest. There is natural reproduction, and the lake has proven that it is capable of sustaining a walleye population. It will find it's own equillibrium, likely one closer to what those who support monkeying around with it want anyway.

I agree it's a stunted walleye population. The difference is, I'm OK with that. If I want to catch fewer bigger fish, I go to a different lake, there's tons of options available for that. If I want to go with kids and catch 100 small ones, I go to PCR. It's a unique lake, and it has a place as is, despite those who wish to change it to meet their definition of a "good" fishery.

understandable and i agree over time it will probably equal out. But here comes the issue. How long does that take? It can take a very very long time for things to occur naturally. so lets say another 7or so years before the two big year classes start dying and then slowly you MAY start seeing greater numbers of young of the year. but for the most part they will probably be fed on by the gigantic pike. But lets say healthy numbers survive. It will take another 6 years to get the first batch of fry back to the size they are now. then it will take another generation of walleye to start evening out the equilibrium between species in the lake. So your looking at 30-40 years. And your not even sure that it will balance itself out.

I would never suggest anything be done to manage the lake without solid research to back any management strategy......

Although I know a particular lake in calgary that has a perch problem that a bucket full of walleye would love to be in.......