Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Fraudulent Charges On My Visa Card

I just received a call from Visa and they told me that there are a bunch of suspicious charges on my Visa card. There was one on Wednesday and 10 on Friday alone. All looked like normal charges at different stores and bought online. I wonder how Visa flags these charges because I have used the card in the last few months at reputable companies in the US and Canada. Does anyone know what kind of info is stored on the magnet strip/chip on the credit card if it was skimmed? What a pain in the a**.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
I just received a call from Visa and they told me that there are a bunch of suspicious charges on my Visa card. There was one on Wednesday and 10 on Friday alone. All looked like normal charges at different stores and bought online. I wonder how Visa flags these charges because I have used the card in the last few months at reputable companies in the US and Canada. Does anyone know what kind of info is stored on the magnet strip/chip on the credit card if it was skimmed? What a pain in the a**.
Are you sure it was visa calling? what did they ask you after telling you about the suspicious charges?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM

I woujld be suspicious of the call............... scam? Check your VISA transactions online.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 PM

mastercard called me once and explained that someone was trying to put $5000 on my card online. would I o.k it. No. They then cancelled that card and sent me a new one. good for them. The only place I had used the card was at the eating place called the log cabin at Sushine Village. I remember the waiter came back and said the card would not work and I had to pay cash. I figure someone had put some kind of scanner in the machine and copied my card.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Call whoever provides your visa and check with them... i'll get calls once in a while from royal bank asking me to verify my information - stuff like the number on the back and such. Always from a blocked number.

Uh, no, let me call the royal bank back and verify you are valid.

Have your computer checked for a virus

Most of these calls are scammers looking to steal from you, and they play ever game in the book to sound valid. If in doubt, hangup and call your bank.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

I was stung for five grand on a Visa Card.

It was done at a gas station. I only use a credit card for gas.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Chip cards are the way to go...but cover up the pad and fake key hits to throw them off.

Never hurts to be careful. Bad enough the family buys stuff on it let alone strangers :-)

Also agree with above...companies will sometimes call to tell you your card is compromised and another is in the mail...they never ask for other information.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I woujld be suspicious of the call............... scam? Check your VISA transactions online.
No, they left a message and call display said TD Canda Trust, I called the number back and it was TD Bank. They read me a list of the last 20 transactions and after the first 10 they were all mine. They cancelled my card and said I could pick it up at my branch, they knew the branch location, gave me their direct phone number. I called TD back a few minutes later at a different number to ask another question and the person on the other end said that she see's that I just called and it was logged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Chip cards are the way to go...
Not really, chip cards still have the magnetic strip on the back. Kind of defeats the purpose. Fraudulant charges using a chip card is harder to dispute because you are supposed to be the only person that knows the pin number. So any charges on your account are supposedly yours.

Last edited by jackrabbit000; 07-28-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
No, they left a message and call display said TD Canda Trust, I called the number back and it was TD Bank. They read me a list of the last 20 transactions and after the first 10 they were all mine. They cancelled my card and said I could pick it up at my branch, they knew the branch location, gave me their direct phone number. I called TD back a few minutes later at a different number to ask another question and the person on the other end said that she see's that I just called and it was logged.

Not really, chip cards still have the magnetic strip on the back. Kind of defeats the purpose. Fraudulant charges using a chip card is harder to dispute because you are supposed to be the only person that knows the pin number. So any charges on your account are supposedly yours.
The Chip cards when inserted the machine can't read the mag strip. A chip card is way more secure than a mag strip.

Visa has very good fraud detection algorithms that operate behind the scenes, good on your Bank for catching it.

I hate using visa in the states because there are almost no chip readers.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I recently had this happen , had visa call me and put me over to royal bank visa security went over the charges , to the tune of 4000 dollars . Anyway after a little bit of time and going over this , they cancelled my card issued a new one and removed the charges . Only reason I knew something was up is I got a letter in the mail from Visa saying contact Visa security .
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

They told me that I'll be getting a letter in the mail in about 3 weeks.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
. I wonder how Visa flags these charges because I have used the card in the last few months at reputable companies in the US and Canada. Does anyone know what kind of info is stored on the magnet strip/chip on the credit card if it was skimmed? What a pain in the a**.
One of those reputable companies usually have a bad employee. They see a bunch of charges from you and others but have a common thing that you all were at store x. Sometimes they catch it from someone else's card but red flag yours because you used it at the original common store.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM

My Dad had his card frozen in the states a few years back. His truck had a slip tank in it so it took 300L. Well down there they have a max of X number of gallons. So he would have to pay and they fill right away again. This tripped VISA and they froze the card until my Dad was able to call from the next fuel station. This is a common thing with credit card thieves is to fill up a bunch of vehicles all at the same time.

He was pi$$ed at first when his card was declined/frozen but once he talked to them all was good.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
One of those reputable companies usually have a bad employee. They see a bunch of charges from you and others but have a common thing that you all were at store x. Sometimes they catch it from someone else's card but red flag yours because you used it at the original common store.
I think the red flagged it because 4 of the charges were at women's clothing stores online in the US and another for $197 at a perfume store in Dallas, Tx. Other charges were in Canada's Wonderland, Apple Store and couple of hotel bookings.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Did you phone Visa to check the phone call you get? The phone number is in the back of your card.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 PM

they left a real good trail so i suspect they will get caught. my card was frozen once, yelled at the bank ,they said there was to much heavy activity in a short time and it set off flags, If it had not been me ,and it had been stolen I would of been real glad they froze it,as it was all I could say was OH that makes good sense and sorry for the hiissy fit,
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
My Dad had his card frozen in the states a few years back. His truck had a slip tank in it so it took 300L. Well down there they have a max of X number of gallons. So he would have to pay and they fill right away again. This tripped VISA and they froze the card until my Dad was able to call from the next fuel station. This is a common thing with credit card thieves is to fill up a bunch of vehicles all at the same time.

He was pi$$ed at first when his card was declined/frozen but once he talked to them all was good.

Being from the States I can tell you that credit card companies are on the lookout for either large fuel purchases or the first time a card is used and it is for fuel. Security will call you. News to me..........I returned the call they asked about the purchase, yes, it was me at XX hour that day. They told me then that stolen cards typically are first tried at a gas station where the purchase can be small enough for the thief to pay IF the card does not work. If the card is accepted the thief then typically goes shopping....... I was glad to get the call and the education.

One Christmas when we had 4 kids, all married with 8 grandkids to shop for I decided rather than checks and cash I was gonna charge it all to speed things up then pay the bills as soon as I got back home............WOAH The fraud/security division of Discover Card beat me home...........long message left. I called back and they were concerned about unusual amount of activity on the card that day. YEP, it was me BUT thank you for the call.

Reading some of the posts here I see what can trigger these calls from the Fraud/Security Divisions of Credit Card Companies and I am glad they work as well as they do.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM

2 words "Capital One"
I had a dealership take a deposit and tried to keep it when the showed up with the wrong truck i ordered. I then filed a dispute with my CC and within 2 weeks i was getting that money put back on my CC
Old 07-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Had this happen to me with some ******* buying a big screen tv at Walmart in the states. MasterCard canceled the card right away and gave me back my money but then got a call 2 weeks later from Walmart saying they we're sending it to collections if I didn't pay them...... That didn't go over well considering I didn't even have A passport to go into the states to buy a tv. Turns out one of these **** heads from some **** hole country put a card reader in on his night shift and was sending the info to his buddy down there....
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwoman View Post

Reading some of the posts here I see what can trigger these calls from the Fraud/Security Divisions of Credit Card Companies and I am glad they work as well as they do.
I think what triggered mine was all the online orders to the US for women's clothes and the perfume. But, I asked Visa who's stupid enough to put 2 charges on it from a travel company for hotel rooms, you usually need I.D. when you check in. All the charges were at normal stores and amounts from $1.00 to $257.12. Visa said that they were probably testing the card.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Had this happen with MC, someone bought some stuff from Costco. I asked all sorts of questions as to how they had picked this up, no answer. In the end I found out that a clerk had entered a number wrong, found that out from Costco. MC would not say anything, and it was a bit of a pain in the azz to fill in all the paper work to get the money back. Still don't know how they picked it up as I had bought from Costco online before using that card.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM

One thing that helps is to alert you credit card companies that you are going on holidays and to where and for how long. Helps stop errant spending if you get compromised on vacation.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM

I have had a few dealings with Visa like this. The first one was when I tried to use a new card to buy a computer at Future Shop. The card was declined and I got a call on my Cell right then, asking if I was trying to buy a large ticket item at a Future Shop. I said yes, and they just said to try the payment again and it will go through this time. Also had that happen when trying to buy a movie ticket at a self serve thing, they called right there just to make sure it was me, then everything worked fine.

A few years ago, I was at a restaurant in High River and tried to use my Visa to pay for my $20 lunch tab. The waitress pre authorized my card for over $100 and I refused to sign the slip until a manager canceled it and rang it through for the proper amount. The next day I went on Holidays to DR and went off grid for a week. When I returned to Canada, I discovered that the restaurant had posted both charges, and the waitress had written in a very generous tip for herself (around $150 I believe) I called Visa and explained the situation, they immediately took the money back from the restaurant and investigated the situation. 1 week later I got an apology from the restaurant manager, and the charges removed from my card. And I never went back there again.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 AM

I had fraudulent charges on my visa card too. This was about month ago. I was
charged $97 from my debit card and I don't know why .... I have not buy anything that cost that price. I even did not know what to do. My collegue advices me to check at vcharges, they checked and gave the description of this charge. Then they returned my money. Last year there was the similar situation, but nobody had returned my $50 back.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 AM

Was hit a couple of times on the Mastercard. Unfortunately for us , Mastercard did catch it but neglected to tell us that they cancelled the card. Made for some red faces ! Several of us got our debit cards hit in Kindersley last fall as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Never had any weird charges yet. But before we go on vacation or just crossing the border to the states, I Always notify visa and master card, even my debit card.

My visa got frozen once when we were in Barbados , cause I did not notify visa.

If I'm in a restaurant, and pay with credit card I always follow the waitress, who knows what they do with your card when they take it to their little counter.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM

I recently had my Visa 'declined' when trying to buy ammo from one of our sponsors (to the tune of $3G). Ticked me right off, embarrassing even, so put it through on my MasterCard which I rarely use, all good. Called right away, and they flagged it as unusual activity. I had an email sitting on my phone to that effect even as I dialed, with a number to call their security. I told them I appreciated them watching over my card and account activity, and that it was not a problem, but that I was choked about losing out on the Aeroplan miles, which is why I favor the Visa card. No problem, they apologized again and her manager credited my account with 3500 miles. Sweet! And I get 2% cash back on my MasterCard, so all in all, not a bad day. Not to mention the good deal on ammo.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 AM

Yes everyone should protect the information on the card. But don't forget, visa does not give you your money back, they simply don't add it your account. Its there money not yours, its there card, there debt etc... they are protecting themselves. All the fraud charges are there problem, not yours. You are responsible for authorized purchases only. On my visa agreement they have a clause in there where if I don't catch fraudulent activity and pay my bill, I only have 3 months to notify them to rectify it and be refunded. Even so, they have caved in on this with enough arguing. I had a big dispute with OnStar that eventually got rectified 7-8 months after the fact and I hade paid all my bills without catching things. it was difficult and frustrating and I even thought about call Ken for help, but they finally came through.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Smile I had this too..

We were on our way to Toronto by train from Edmonton, at the Shell station on gasoline alley in Red Deer an elderly east Indian gentleman in a turban came to my car window at the self serve pump carrying a clip board with a pencil tied to the board. He took my card to the cashier and brought it back.

By the time I tried to use the card in TO it was cancelled! I called Visa and they had the situation under control. The card was being used to buy 5K worth of pottery in Australia.

I think that they do a pretty good job, and I cooperate as much as I can.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM

We have all our cards with the same bank
Two years ago in Vegas my debit card got " compromised" they said cancelled my debit and visa
Called in she told me they thought it possibly could if been tampered with I said I appreciate their trying to protect me from fraud but I need money and am in Las Vegas. She responds well just go into the closest rbc branch and it will all be rectified. K no problem I tell her but I am in LV on holidays Well no problem sir I can give you the address of the closest branch yo your location where are you sir Las Vegas ok and what province
At that time I got a bit irate
They put a supervisor on the line and I proceeded to go through the same bs with her then said either they fix the problem it rbc will lose our business as soon we return to Canada I got a your not in Canada response to which I say yeh hence the reason I can't go I to an rbc branch well your going to have to go into a branch sir when you get back into Canada. To which I responded no problem but how the ---- do I do that with 20 ----in dollars in my pocket
Finally convinced them to give me a 500 a day limit till I got back
Was a real pita