Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM

This is why I don't have all my credit cards at the same bank. I ran into this about 10 years ago travelling in the US where the bank cancelled/froze my debit and credit card because of suspicious activity. I had about $100 in cash and that was it. Lucky my brother was travelling with me. Now my bank is TD with debit and Visa, Mastercard with Sears Financial and a Amex card.

Last edited by jackrabbit000; 04-18-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
This is why I don't have all my credit cards at the same bank. I ran into this about 10 years ago travelling in the US where the bank cancelled/froze my debit and credit card because of suspicious activity. I had about $100 in cash and that was it. Lucky my brother was travelling with me. Now my bank is TD with debit and Visa, Mastercard with Sears Financial and a Amex card.
this is a good idea. The cards are the banks, not yours and they can shut off the tap anytime they want.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
The Chip cards when inserted the machine can't read the mag strip. A chip card is way more secure than a mag strip.

Visa has very good fraud detection algorithms that operate behind the scenes, good on your Bank for catching it.

I hate using visa in the states because there are almost no chip readers.

A chip card is infect MORE UNSECURE because there is a transmitter in the chip and if you have the receiver, you have the card information. For example, you can go to grocery store, Tim Hortins or gas station and you can just tap your card and it will be accepted and you don't have to even enter your pin or swipe the card.

Now here is the interesting thing....these scanner can be bought from ebay for less then 100 bucks and the bad guys can keep this little scanner in their pocket and can walk around in any public area and keep picking the credit card information from people violets. Now how I know this, I saw it in either news or a some documentary but it was on TV.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 AM

Default visa charges

Visa phoned us on the 16th and said there had been 16 attempts to use our Visa on the internet. 3 went through before they caught it and 10 were declined. They will reverse the 3 charges and send us new cards. They did not ask for any information other than to identify us. They had all the card info and their fraud section is investigating. I hadn't used the card since Feb. and once on the net to order a magazine.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Yup, I carry a Visa, MasterCard and Amex, all from different banking institutions, for that very reason. And because I like to collect Airmiles, Aeroplan, and get cash back, depending on the place I am spending. Double dipping is good too.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone