Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Covey I'm sorry if my comments made you feel belittled it was not my intent but cabertosser seemed to of taken offence.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I dunno, my grandpa and uncles tell stories about all the fighting they used to do in the "olden days" seemed pretty common that a night ended with a fist fight or two. Only seems to be the last 10-15 Yeats or so that you had to shank someone to prove you were a man. Long gone are the days of duking it out, getting your ass kicked, shaking hands and goin back in for a drink.
I don't think this was a case of somebody getting into a fight. If you read the police chief's statement from today he says that the accused showed up, sober, and went about stabbing people. It appears that this is a case of a spree killing. Somebody decided he wanted to kill a bunch of people and knew of a party where people would have been drinking all day and would be unable to defend themselves.

Serial and spree killers are nothing new. And I can tell you that having a fist fight and then going for a beer has not ended.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Covey I'm sorry if my comments made you feel belittled it was not my intent but cabertosser seemed to of taken offence.
We've kept things gentlemanly enough, I was just sticking up for an acquaintance. We should only hope the entire board had the ability to ante in with an "I'm sorry" now and again. I've probably put out a half dozen or more apologies on here, but probably owed 12 or so
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
We've kept things gentlemanly enough, I was just sticking up for an acquaintance. We should only hope the entire board had the ability to ante in with an "I'm sorry" now and again. I've probably put out a half dozen or more apologies on here, but probably owed 12 or so
I'm sorry for putting a potato in your tailpipe.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe but I don't want to be remembered for the guy that could've done something but didn't. Maybe you''re the type that didn't. I do understand that there is a lot of woulda, coulda and shoulda but running is kind of chicken dung imo. To each their own I guess.
I like you would also like to think I would have done something but the truth is neither of us were there. To suggest that some could of but did not without facts can do nothing but make some feel worse about what is already a tragedy.

No need for the back handed comment on what type I may be. Another case of you hitting the keyboard without knowing.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM

^That.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
norwestalta
I did not like what you said without knowing me, but it did not result in me feeling belittled. I can only make myself feel that way.

This thread is the type of thing that causes a lot of emotion. I just think that making judgmental statements without facts or suggestion that some did or did not do something that could of prevented this can just make already grieving people worse. Anyway lets just move on.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I like you would also like to think I would have done something but the truth is neither of us were there. To suggest that some could of but did not without facts can do nothing but make some feel worse about what is already a tragedy.

No need for the back handed comment on what type I may be. Another case of you hitting the keyboard without knowing.

Seems you're looking for a peeing match. Good luck.
I don't need keyboard to hold my own.
The way I see it is 15 made it out of the house alive. The suspect wandered the streets for 1/2 a hour. Maybe a few of the 15 could of subdued the suspect.
You're right we weren't there.
Difference of opinion is all with little info.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Seems you're looking for a peeing match. Good luck.
I don't need keyboard to hold my own.
The way I see it is 15 made it out of the house alive. The suspect wandered the streets for 1/2 a hour. Maybe a few of the 15 could of subdued the suspect.
https://vine.co/v/MJmuUvxt7B1

LC
Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I dunno, my grandpa and uncles tell stories about all the fighting they used to do in the "olden days" seemed pretty common that a night ended with a fist fight or two. Only seems to be the last 10-15 Yeats or so that you had to shank someone to prove you were a man. Long gone are the days of duking it out, getting your ass kicked, shaking hands and goin back in for a drink.
even the mentally ill ones? Like the guy we are talking about in Calgary? I know what your saying, but maybe don't compare grampas fist fights to a mentally ill lunatics killing spree. just pointing out the difference. There were mentally ill crazys back in the day as well, maybe even moreso.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Seems you're looking for a peeing match. Good luck. I don't need keyboard to hold my own.
Can not do peeing match anymore! Prostate a bit tight and I do not have the range I used to
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I don't think this was a case of somebody getting into a fight. If you read the police chief's statement from today he says that the accused showed up, sober, and went about stabbing people. It appears that this is a case of a spree killing. Somebody decided he wanted to kill a bunch of people and knew of a party where people would have been drinking all day and would be unable to defend themselves.

Serial and spree killers are nothing new. And I can tell you that having a fist fight and then going for a beer has not ended.
I have a feeling the kid was probably on drugs at the time. Really sad story, prayers and thoughts to the families of everyone involved including the parents of the accused.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I have a feeling the kid was probably on drugs at the time. Really sad story, prayers and thoughts to the families of everyone involved including the parents of the accused.
you have a "feeling" or you know?, no sense posting conjecture......
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That was my first thought but apparently he was completely sober. Through *Facebook, I've learned that he had been deeply troubled in his youth.

Also, I'm tired of hearing about the "good old days", that is garbage. Homicides per 100,000 population in Canada are a fraction higher today as in 1961. You can make that argument in some situations but in this case it's simply ridiculous.

* I realize Facebook isn't the most reliable source but I'm the same age as the suspect, live in the same area, attend the same school, and know people he knew.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
you have a "feeling" or you know?, no sense posting conjecture......
Him being sober at a party seems more unlikely to me. Especially an end of school party that must have been pretty big.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
That was my first thought but apparently he was completely sober. Through *Facebook, I've learned that he had been deeply troubled in his youth.

Also, I'm tired of hearing about the "good old days", that is garbage. Homicides per 100,000 population in Canada are a fraction higher today as in 1961. You can make that argument in some situations but in this case it's simply ridiculous.

* I realize Facebook isn't the most reliable source but I'm the same age as the suspect, live in the same area, attend the same school, and know people he knew.
That's VERY disturbing, can't understand why someone would do that without some psychological issues or drugs/booze on board. If he had psychological issues how did no one around him not pick up on them and get him help?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Him being sober at a party seems more unlikely to me. Especially an end of school party that must have been pretty big.
The reports say that he headed to the party straight from work, so I wouldn't imagine that he'd be drunk. The reports also say that drugs/alcohol weren't involved but we'll find out more shortly.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 PM

Feel deeply for victims and their families... A real tragedy.

I must admit I'm tired of this young generation being slammed. Video games are the cause, tv is the cause. It's all speculated non sense. This behaviour has been happening forever.

When an older person goes on a rampage, it's a mental illness. When a young person performs the same act of violence, it's video games, movies, tv and rap music at fault.

And please stop insulting the attendees of the party for not being man enough to stop the act. 5 people paid the ultimate price. We weren't there. Show a little class and let their family's grieve without you insulting them.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

I must admit I'm tired of this young generation being slammed. Video games are the cause, tv is the cause. It's all speculated non sense. This behaviour has been happening forever.

When an older person goes on a rampage, it's a mental illness. When a young person performs the same act of violence, it's video games, movies, tv and rap music at fault.

And please stop insulting the attendees of the party for not being man enough to stop the act. 5 people paid the ultimate price. We weren't there. Show a little class and let their family's grieve without you insulting them.
Thank you. IMO, you absolutely nailed every issue that has been discussed.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz 700 View Post
My little sister worked with the guy. FWIW she said he was always nice and helpful. Something must have snapped. Scary to think he could have done it there.
Prisons are full of people that were only bad for 5 or 10 minutes out of their whole lives.

It happens... sometimes a fella just runs into a situation or someone that pushes their buttons...just right...on the wrong day and... tragedy.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Probably cause your gramps is good people. Remember it was only 40 years a ago and people were judged by skin colour. There's always been evil and always will. And that handshake after a fight is BS, **** wasn't so golden. It's the human condition to glamorize the past. It's a coping method for handling change.
Haha yup. It's a myth a dream etc
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

This guy from the older generation agrees with you 100%
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
This guy from the older generation agrees with you 100%
x3........ each generation slams the new generation for the last 100 years....our great grandfathers slammed our grandfathers generation no doubt.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
x3........ each generation slams the new generation for the last 100 years....our great grandfathers slammed our grandfathers generation no doubt.
Not true....

Is been that way since the beginning of time.

Jamie
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Not true....

Is been that way since the beginning of time.

Jamie
post link please.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Banned

I am not derailing this thread..far from it.

Surely I can share the experience with some AO members who also watched a person they knew develop schizophrenia or some other psychotic disorder during their late teens to early twenties. Some of the teachers on the forum could also relate to this occurance.

What happens to a person when psychosis develops is very sad and sometimes very scary, even with the medication we have today to treat symptoms, but not cure the disease.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
post link please.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=398104

Some good examples here.

Everything people say about kids today has been said since man started.

And yet.... Society keeps on rolling through good times and bad.

Jamie
Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Why does everybody assume he's mentally ill? What ever happened to evil? If I understand correctly, he posted the name of the Megadeath song (and no I'm not blaming music, I'm a big metal fan and I've got through life stab-free) "Dread and the Fugitive Mind".

Quote:
Let me introduce myself I'm a social disease
I've come for your wealth leave you on your knees
No time for feeling sorry, I got here on my own
I won't ask for mercy, I choose to walk alone

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers

What if I do get caught? What if there is no judgment?
If I'm right I lose nothing, if you're right I lose it all

I ought to get caught because I'm doing something wicked
I'm guilty haunted by my fear and the only consequences
Are Dread and the Fugitive Mind

You built walls to protect you so no one will infect you
Pursued by those out there that vanish in thin air
Come a long way to find what you really left behind
You don't know when the end is but it's coming fast

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers

What if I do get caught? What if there is no judgment?
If I'm right I lose nothing, if you're right I lose it all
I ought to get caught because I'm doing something wicked
I'm guilty haunted by my fear and the only consequences
Are Dread and the Fugitive Mind
Sounds to me like maybe he's a moral relativist that killed 5 people because he felt like killing 5 people. Maybe he felt alienated from society, but that's not his father's, drugs', music's, video games', television's, society's, guns', knives', or the people at the party's fault. It's his fault, and I wish that our society still let us punish him accordingly instead of sending him to a prison where he'll get free ice time for the rest of his life (scratch that, 15-25 years probably).

I think it's a problem that when somebody does something heinous, we have to point to an external cause. It mitigates personal responsibility.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Why does everybody assume he's mentally ill? What ever happened to evil? If I understand correctly, he posted the name of the Megadeath song (and no I'm not blaming music, I'm a big metal fan and I've got through life stab-free) "Dread and the Fugitive Mind".

Sounds to me like maybe he's a moral relativist that killed 5 people because he felt like killing 5 people. Maybe he felt alienated from society, but that's not his father's, drugs', music's, video games', television's, society's, guns', knives', or the people at the party's fault. It's his fault, and I wish that our society still let us punish him accordingly instead of sending him to a prison where he'll get free ice time for the rest of his life (scratch that, 15-25 years probably).

I think it's a problem that when somebody does something heinous, we have to point to an external cause. It mitigates personal responsibility.
Are you for real?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM

I'm also really tired about hearing about violent video games and television. Television has been violent since the 70's, so that means all the 50 year old guys on the board should have warped minds as well. I'm in my early 30's have watched violent movies and played violent video games for most of my life, and yet I have a profound respect for human life. Children older than about 2 can tell the difference between real and make believe.
The good old days are horse*****. They were only good if you were a middle class or better white male.
There have few studies recently showing that violent video games may actually reduce real world violence by two routes:
1) By giving young men an outlet for their violent tendencies without getting in a fight every night at the bar.
2) Young men 16-25 are the most violent demographic. Video games keep them off the streets where they can easily get into trouble and keeps them safely in the basement.

Society is NOT that different today. People haven't changed. 90 years ago the older generation was complaining about how corrupted youth were with their new fangled radio music. All you guys in your 60's were corrupted by rock and roll. Guys in their 40's are the horrible Gen X'ers with their grunge music.
Most of us turned out just fine, but sometimes a light switch goes off in someone's head and we are left behind to mourn the dead. The difference is 50 or 100 years ago we only heard about what was happening in our neighbourhood, now every tragedy in the world is broadcast like its in your own back yard.