Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I've noticed on here that almost everyone Hates people who don't put in what they take out, don't contribute, only take. Cheat the system, take what ever they can. Discriminate against any race you get attacked, called a racist, get banned. But why is the hate for easterners never addressed? On here you can bash a person from east of Alberta to the ground and no one says a word, mention another race and you get smashed by the ban hammer.

What I'm getting at is, I'm tired of seeing all the easterner/newfie bashing on here. I questioned this in another thread and was told that we are the sole issue of what's wrong with hunting in Alberta. I didn't realize that me living here for 10 years still doesn't make me an Albertan. It's kind of funny that on here people get thier panties in a bunch when someone says all hunters are poachers, but it's ok to say all easterners are poachers.

Just trying to understand this, explain.......
Well Lee how long would I have to live on the rock to be a Newfoundlander?
We both know that my kids would still be considered as being from...away.
Right?
Oh sure...most folks would be friendly enough but me and my kids would never really be seen as quite the same as the rest of town.

Otherwise it isn't actually the east coast guys that are historically resented so much as its Ontario and Quebec and its because of how we were SOLD into confederation...not invited.... transfer payments...welfare provinces... being called red necks by people who traditionally are far more redneck than we ever were etc.

AND... the importation of certain attiutudes that we in the west have been resisting for generations.

Those attitudes include the increase in bigotry and racism that has actually gotten a lot worse with the import of folks from down east...not better.
I know that I for one was shocked at how easily certain terms fell from the lips of guys I met when I went to NS for basic training. I'd never heard anyone use that language so casually and openly here.

At one time multiculturalism worked quite well here... and then we started filling jobs with guys from down east and everything started to shift.

The final thing is that like it or not you have a lot of company from back home who do not have a vested interest in Alberta or any desire to stay.
When people arrive with attitudes like that... they generally have little care for the state that they leave the place that they are only visiting for a short time.

They display that by their attuitudes, their lack of interest in anything other than money and by how they conduct themselves WRT hunting etc.
They tell us what they think of Alberta and often its...thanks for the job followed by a tirade about how much they hate it here and how backwards we are.
And that attitude was shoved in my face plenty of times when I was a guest down east as well... In fact many guys went out of their way to hammer the west...constantly.... to the point of fist fights....so I guess bias might be more reciprocal than you might be considering from your perspective ...here and now.

Not you buddy (I know) but many.

And I understand that its hard not to take it personnally... likewise you should be able to understand that when that happens its just as hard for us not to take it personnally..especially when we have seen those jobs, that oil and those attitudes change Alberta and Albertan attuitudes so much.

Then of course there is the clannishness and the cliques that form among immigrants and folks from down east. Its a natural thing to do and mostly harmless but it does leave an impression whenever that happens...no matter where you go in the world.
Of course the problem isn't the association but rather how people tend to view things with a bit of a yellow eye.

The bottom line is that this province and the people in her were much nicer before everyone came down with oil fever and got all hoity-toity and folks from outside of Alberta have been the driving force for those changes that we...will be left to live long after they have all gone home.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 04-16-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've noticed on here that almost everyone Hates people who don't put in what they take out, don't contribute, only take. Cheat the system, take what ever they can. Discriminate against any race you get attacked, called a racist, get banned. But why is the hate for easterners never addressed? On here you can bash a person from east of Alberta to the ground and no one says a word, mention another race and you get smashed by the ban hammer.
What I'm getting at is, I'm tired of seeing all the easterner/newfie bashing on here. I questioned this in another thread and was told that we are the sole issue of what's wrong with hunting in Alberta. I didn't realize that me living here for 10 years still doesn't make me an Albertan. It's kind of funny that on here people get thier panties in a bunch when someone says all hunters are poachers, but it's ok to say all easterners are poachers.
Just be glad you're not native.
And/or liberal.
Hmmm... especially liberal!

Last edited by drhu22; 04-16-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

I would not take it personally. You obviously are not one of the problem. Be proud of who and where you are from, and respect where you live, and nobody can fault you for that. Anyone who does is not worth your time.

I know of a few easterners who don't respect where they currently live. They are here to earn money that they can't back home, and anyone who isn't one of them isn't respected. No different with other people too. Some people have lived in Canada for many many years, yet never learned to speak either of our official language, and have never supported any local issue if it didn't have something to do with their homeland. And then demand that our customs and laws are changed to suit their desires. These are the kind of people that give the rest a bad name. If you don't like where you are living, then go back to where you came from.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

But the guy who wrote your sig line is where you should start in your search. There are some guys who come here, reap the benefits but despise the people, politics, culture here that made it possible.....and are rotten green with envy that it's not happening back home where they think it rightfully should.

Check your sig line author......I think you'll figure it out much faster.
classy Hoss classy
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I'm born and raised here in Alberta married a nice gal from Newfoundland so no eastern bias here . It annoys me that people from all over come for a couple months to work and get the same benefits of for hunting as someone who has lived here for at least some time. I think any bias is more against transient folks rather than people from anywhere in particular, if you come here to build your home and make Alberta a better place you're alright in my books.
10-4 on that. I know a Mexican guy who is a system milker to the core, wish he was breaking a law so I could report him. Spends about 4 months a year here working and getting his kids working for him, and spends the rest in mexico. Collects all taxes back on him and kids, hence he's getting max child tax benefits and every other break possible on him and his brood, of which theres quite a few. Usually came up here when his wife was due so kid was Canadian, and would make him eligible for all the goodies. Makes me wanna puke.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
All Canadians are equal, but some are more equal than others......

Remember where you read that????? Orwell

To me, a Canadian is a Canadian. Dont care where you are from.
x2.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Not sure why your not understanding the issue.

First off, the guy who taught me how to hunt and is a very good freind of mine is a Newfie. Type of guy you can depend on no matter what and vice versa.

But the guy who wrote your sig line is where you should start in your search. There are some guys who come here, reap the benefits but despise the people, politics, culture here that made it possible.....and are rotten green with envy that it's not happening back home where they think it rightfully should.

Check your sig line author......I think you'll figure it out much faster.
pretty good thread untill this poster^^^^^^^^^ with personal attacks on someone not around to defend himself.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Well said BDB.
I don't understand that if times are tough out east why many wouldn't bring their families to Alberta where their kids would have a opportunity.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
And I know it's not everyone, but god damn, Alberta is almost worse than Quebec when it comes.to being prejudice.
Is this not a serious case of irony right here? You start a thread about albertans bashing the Newfs and then you write this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
We can't be like that, it's a well known fact, Asians can't drive hahahahhaha
Wow, I'm not thinking irony anymore but perhaps hypocracy.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 04-16-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Banned

I would much rather see the influx of Canadians into Alberta than the influx of immigrants I see coming in. The immigration laws of Canada are themselves what helps breed the hate and resentment. The tax, health, and education benefits along with subsidized housing make me wish I was an immigrant to Canada instead of a Canadian. I wouldn't have to work so hard to pay so much so someone from another country could have a cushy life on my dime. I understand there is a reason for them to immigrate to Canada, it's to come here to WORK and have a better life. I say let them WORK and PAY for what they get, we all know the Canadians from the east do.

Rant over........ For now.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Well I am a born and breed Albertan and have work with a lot of Newf's and easterners over the years. Some good, some not so good, but no worse than any other. I know a lot of people that came from east of Alberta in the 80's and have no intentions of going home, as Alberta is their home now.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:46 AM

edited - never mind
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
All Canadians are equal, but some are more equal than others......

Remember where you read that????? Orwell

To me, a Canadian is a Canadian. Dont care where you are from.
Sorry Huntinstuff, but there is another item that diagrees with you and kind of supports Orwell.

It is called the "Canadian Constitution".

Does that sound "reasonable" like Part one of the Canadian Constitution states?

Last edited by greylynx; 04-16-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Shortly after moving here in 2008 I made the mistake of telling a guy (who asked) that I came from Southern Ontario .

From his response you'd have thunk I'd arrived from the wrong side of the River Styx !
Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Only thing I got against some easterners is the constant maritime this maritime that. I work with a New Brunswicker that honestly never shuts up about it. Ok, I get it. You miss your home, but God, there's a reason you're here right?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM

It's more a personality thing with me. Like others have said some easterners tend towards being obsessed with "back home" and telling us albertans how much better it is than here. No problems with you guys as a group, just some individuals. I know because I'm from the other group it's okay to bash on here. Never gone to mods with complaints ever, well maybe once I can't quite recall.

I wish we all got along.
But I bet you see way more bashing on here than real life right? Same as me, I don't have much for issues. Same old story weigh 250 bench 300 and everybody likes you, it's when there is zero accountability that it starts.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
It's like "they" think it's their country. I wonder where "they" got that from? Encouraged by one Ralpf Klein famous for saying "let those eastern btards freeze in the dark" or words to that effect lol
"They" did not start thinking it was "their" country with Ralph and the NEP. "They" started thinking it was "their" country as far back as the Hudsons Bay and Northwest company days.

So there.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Newfies and easterners havent yet cultivated a narrative of victimhood that everyone thinks they should tippytoe around but give it time. Americans are the best you cannot insult them no matter what you say because they know better and im the same way. Some cultures are fair game and some may be getting sniffy re easterners and newfies
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM

For starters, I think like in many instances when bashing occurs, it starts off tongue in check or a casual ribbing, and then gets more serious and in some cases downright ugly. Like any demographic, easterners or "newfies" are easier to look at as different because of the many different ways they have of speaking. In reality, like any identifiable group, they are for the most part good people, with a couple of baddies that ruin it for everyone else. Not all Muslims are terrorists ya know.......

For the record my wife is from Upper Island cove, and I have been out to the rock visiting her family many times and love it there......I truly get the harsh beauty of Newfoundland, and would like to buy a place there so every couple of years I could go there and spend a month as I think that the people there and the place itself is fantastic, and in many ways different from anywhere else I have been in Canada or the US.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM

i hate the newfie flag on the back window an license plates , if you love it so much why are you here ? lot of people from ontario here but you don't see that crap on there stuff. i could also do with out the insane amount of traffic around here the last 10 years or so, i almost wish we could shut down the oil for a year just to get some space back, soon we'll have to move to the yukon to breathe. as a born and raised albertan my biggest fear is eastern liberalism infecting our province, most of that i guess would come out of southern ontario.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Well Lee how long would I have to live on the rock to be a Newfoundlander?
We both know that my kids would still be considered as being from...away.
Right?
Oh sure...most folks would be friendly enough but me and my kids would never really be seen as quite the same as the rest of town.

Otherwise it isn't actually the east coast guys that are historically resented so much as its Ontario and Quebec and its because of how we were SOLD into confederation...not invited.... transfer payments...welfare provinces... being called red necks by people who traditionally are far more redneck than we ever were etc.

AND... the importation of certain attiutudes that we in the west have been resisting for generations.

Those attitudes include the increase in bigotry and racism that has actually gotten a lot worse with the import of folks from down east...not better.
I know that I for one was shocked at how easily certain terms fell from the lips of guys I met when I went to NS for basic training. I'd never heard anyone use that language so casually and openly here.

At one time multiculturalism worked quite well here... and then we started filling jobs with guys from down east and everything started to shift.

The final thing is that like it or not you have a lot of company from back home who do not have a vested interest in Alberta or any desire to stay.
When people arrive with attitudes like that... they generally have little care for the state that they leave the place that they are only visiting for a short time.

They display that by their attuitudes, their lack of interest in anything other than money and by how they conduct themselves WRT hunting etc.
They tell us what they think of Alberta and often its...thanks for the job followed by a tirade about how much they hate it here and how backwards we are.
And that attitude was shoved in my face plenty of times when I was a guest down east as well... In fact many guys went out of their way to hammer the west...constantly.... to the point of fist fights....so I guess bias might be more reciprocal than you might be considering from your perspective ...here and now.

Not you buddy (I know) but many.

And I understand that its hard not to take it personnally... likewise you should be able to understand that when that happens its just as hard for us not to take it personnally..especially when we have seen those jobs, that oil and those attitudes change Alberta and Albertan attuitudes so much.

Then of course there is the clannishness and the cliques that form among immigrants and folks from down east. Its a natural thing to do and mostly harmless but it does leave an impression whenever that happens...no matter where you go in the world.
Of course the problem isn't the association but rather how people tend to view things with a bit of a yellow eye.

The bottom line is that this province and the people in her were much nicer before everyone came down with oil fever and got all hoity-toity and folks from outside of Alberta have been the driving force for those changes that we...will be left to live long after they have all gone home.
I have to agree BDB, well said!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
"They" did not start thinking it was "their" country with Ralph and the NEP. "They" started thinking it was "their" country as far back as the Hudsons Bay and Northwest company days.

So there.
Being a Canadian first, my second loyalty is to the province I'm currently living in. The length of time I've been here is not relevant. Those who judge others by the length of time they have lived in this province will be judged by those who have even longer roots. Judging anybody, especially other Canadians is? Greedy, selfish.......all kinds of unpleasant adjectives can be inserted here. I'm a Canadian who happens to live in Alberta. I moved in and out of country and I moved to AB because my employer told me I was moving here. I came to like it so much I am staying. I'm a net contributor, not a taker, if that means something to anyone. History is what binds us together, it's not meant to divide us. What "they" think................who cares................it's like listening to sour background noise and it will never have any traction.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Being raised in McMurray and living there most of my life, i got to know an amazing amount of Newfoundlers. They play hard and work hard. My father was a Mobile Mine Equipment Supervisor at Suncor throughout the 80's and
90's. He has always stated that the Newfoundlanders that worked for him had a work ethic that was second to none. These people didn't uproot their families and move to Alberta to sit on their arses.

I also wake up with a Newfie every morning and can attest that her family is easily the most hospitable and fun people i have ever known when it comes to being involved with a family.

Newfies are good folk....
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 AM

Id like to comment from both sides of the fence on this.

I'm an easterner who moved here 14 years ago. I love my home town and where I'm from and I'm damn proud of it. When I left home I was an 18 year naive kid who had a hockey bag full of clothes and not much more. I was one of those guys who thought everything was better back home right down to fountain pop and the gravy from KFC haha. Again I was an 18 year old kid who missed home and really had no idea where I was or what I was doing.

One day not to long after I had been living here I realized that even though I may not have noticed it or been doing it maliciously my comments about back home were in a way calling down the province that was supporting me and giving me a way of life and I started to curb those comments because I realized how they were being perceived. Again 99% of them likely meant no disrespect to AB or the people here I was just a kid who missed home and his family.

I now consider Alberta my home, my kids were born here my family built our first home here. I love and respect this province and truly enjoy the hard working people who make it what it is.

I guess what the moral of my story is take everything with a grain of salt on both sides of the fence. I think deep down most of us are proud Canadians no matter where we come from and we should support each other as Canadians not as Joe from PEI or Jim from BC. Yes right now AB may be the wheel that drives this country but one day down the road it might not be the case and if that day ever comes (I hope it doesn't) we might be the ones who become the transient worker and are telling our stories of home and how much we miss it and will likely appreciate a sympathetic ear to hear our stories.

To finish this off when people ask me why there's no work back home I tell them its because we've got it all done so now were here to help you guys out !!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
i hate the newfie flag on the back window an license plates , if you love it so much why are you here ? lot of people from ontario here but you don't see that crap on there stuff. i could also do with out the insane amount of traffic around here the last 10 years or so, i almost wish we could shut down the oil for a year just to get some space back, soon we'll have to move to the yukon to breathe. as a born and raised albertan my biggest fear is eastern liberalism infecting our province, most of that i guess would come out of southern ontario.
Wow, thanks for typing that out and saving me a few minutes!
A big X2!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
I think one issue is that no matter how long the person stays here or works, the intention is to some day move back there, after you've made your retirement fund. They go back home with the money knowing that the housing market prices are way lower than what's on the Alberta market and buy something really really nice. So coming here and settling down is never an option.
I came hear for the Alberta advantage 13 hears ago when you cou get 3 job offers in 3 minutes and a nice fixer upper starter house was 100000. Made one mistake, married an Alberta honey and sne won't let me leave.

I've always thought Alberta is a gem. For all the negative things, it had an economy and gave me everything. Many awesome people here, I always felt people got to much into the rat race and need to slow down a little. I don't get Albertan's who bash anyone else who came here. Easterners came here to help build an economy that many of us enjoy.

On another topic, Alberta is awesome. Don't get why people compare it to Vancouver or Toronto. Edmonton and Calgary are great towns...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Thats different, I have become fluent in newfanese, its the filipinos in town here that drive me nuts with their driving skills and language barrier
Not defending anything, but you can tell their nationality by looking at them. I cant ? .
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I would much rather see the influx of Canadians into Alberta than the influx of immigrants I see coming in. The immigration laws of Canada are themselves what helps breed the hate and resentment. The tax, health, and education benefits along with subsidized housing make me wish I was an immigrant to Canada instead of a Canadian. I wouldn't have to work so hard to pay so much so someone from another country could have a cushy life on my dime. I understand there is a reason for them to immigrate to Canada, it's to come here to WORK and have a better life. I say let them WORK and PAY for what they get, we all know the Canadians from the east do.

Rant over........ For now.

Bloody foreigners.
Sorry for making you work so hard for my cushy life.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
I am with you on the big Newfoundland decals on the back of vehicles. Thats gay. But so are Calvin peeing on Ford, Dodge or Chevy stickers, Metal Militia decals, Tapout decals, etc etc.....