Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Default Did you see Inspt. Doug de Grood on TV tonight?

Heartbreaking to watch.

I pray peace on that family.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

A lot of families destroyed, it's very heartbreaking on both sides of the fence. He looked very ashen. My concern is that the media may start hounding victims families (news people can be cold when going for a story), even watching them interviewing neighbours who were still digesting what had taken place on their street seemed a bit too early and intrusive IMO.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM

I gather from watching the video, he has health issues. This isn't going to help. About the most devastating thing that could happen to you.

Grizz
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Yup. Terrible. That poor man and his wife are going to be absolutely traumatized by this. Probably every bit as much as the families and friends of the victims; and perhaps more so.

The media has got to learn to back off on things like this. They need a good lawsuit -- harassment won't be enough -- to teach them to have some respect for people who are grieving.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

It puts into perspective the range of victims to a crime. Just sad all around.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Heartwrenching. I'd read one report noting that the Inspector was out looking for Matt, as he was worried that his son was going to harm himself based on the nature of some texts he'd received. Mrs DeGrood had apparently called the police; the warning signs Matt gave were brief, but somewhat misleading. I almost wonder if he was intending "suicide by cop"
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM

I just watched it. Compelling and heartbreaking for sure.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM

Yes very heartbreaking for that family, as well as the victims family's, what a waste.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
A lot of families destroyed, it's very heartbreaking on both sides of the fence. He looked very ashen. My concern is that the media may start hounding victims families (news people can be cold when going for a story), even watching them interviewing neighbours who were still digesting what had taken place on their street seemed a bit too early and intrusive IMO.
Media can be very heartless. Years ago a person with the same name as my sister died in a car accident, writer at the Calgary sun called my grandmother and asked her thoughts on the death. My sister not being dead obviously got a very hysterical call from g-ma. All because my sister had been a mildly well known volleyball player at Mount Royal college and been canadian all star and MVP of all canadian college vball (Yaaay sis) had been in the sun a few times, the reporter made the assumption, looked up her hometown and picked somebody with the same last name from the phone book. Classy fact checking. They can hurt people very deeply at their worst point in their life. Luckily gran survived the fright and by a miracle the writer did too.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Two questions that have been haunting me.

The kid has a psychology degree. I am sure he could imitate any psychosis he wanted to, and be out of hotel silly in no time. But why would he perpetrate this horrible crime to begin with?

Second, and I really wonder, This kid might actually be sick and perhaps should stay in hotel silly.

And no, old greylynx has not just turned feely good compassionate.

The parents and family are who I feel sorry for.

Last edited by greylynx; 04-17-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Two questions that have been haunting me.

The kid has a psychology degree. I am sure he could imitate any psychosis he wanted to, and be out of hotel silly in no time. But why would he perpetrate this horrible crime to begin with?

Second, and I really wonder, This kid might actually be sick and perhaps should stay in hotel silly.

And no, old greylynx has not just turned feely good compassionate.
And to continue. Just think what is going through this kid's family right now.

Oh Oh.

Moderator: Please delete this post....sorry.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Whats also pretty troubling, is ( allegedly ) at 5:30 pm the evening it all took place, the son posted "the world needs a hero" on his Facebook.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
And to continue. Just think what is going through this kid's family right now.
Your job as a parent is to raise your kid right. For them to be a good person, for them to be sucessful, you want your kids to be a better version of yourself. Cannot imagine finding out that your kid did something horrible like this. It will tear you up because there are only a few conclusions that most people would reach.
A. How did we have a monster
B. how did we not notice these mental health issues
C. I love my kid so much there has to be some way it's my fault.

None of the answers are gonna do wonders for the psyche

The real answer is you will never know and sometimes no matter what you did people you love will do horrible things, or how can one of the most important people in my world go against everything I've ever taught.

Not a good feeling, and so many will judge you.
Feel horrible for all the families including the bad guys
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Heart breaking all round, so many lives touched in a bad way.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Banned

Default .

Ban that stupid facebook and twitter crap ,best soluion.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
I highly doubt that would solve much, people have been murdering others long before FB or Twitter.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Gone Fishing

I have a question for those of you that ARE parents! Your child is this young man/women that has murdered 5 people. How do you deal with this child of yours now?
What I mean, do you still want them in your life? Do you visit them in the prison for the next 20 years and once released , how do you move forward ?
I only ask for curiousity sake , not to pass judgement upon anyone.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
I have a question for those of you that ARE parents! Your child is this young man/women that has murdered 5 people. How do you deal with this child of yours now?
What I mean, do you still want them in your life? Do you visit them in the prison for the next 20 years and once released , how do you move forward ?
I only ask for curiousity sake , not to pass judgement upon anyone.
Wow, as a parent, this is a really really tough question. When you see Insp. Doug de Grood on the news yesterday he was totally devastated by this event. I can't even imagine what he and his wife are going through.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
Whats also pretty troubling, is ( allegedly ) at 5:30 pm the evening it all took place, the son posted "the world needs a hero" on his Facebook.
Its not allegedly, it was there for anyone to see. I saw it myself, heck I even personally cut & pasted the quote from it into the murder thread here on AO. I've not checked to see if his FaceBook page has been taken down yet, that seems to happen with some of the nastier criminals.

What would be troubling is lets say perhaps if Insp De Grood has long held the belief that there should be a death penalty, even though we don't have one he would be again internally conflicted. He's obviously extremely conflicted with the situation already as a career lawman, but just putting that potential thought process out there. All the cops I'm friends with are pro capital-punishment, they of all people know that a tiger doesn't change its stripes.

Yep, this ones a bit different for the parents to interact, its not like Matt just broke a neighbors window or smashed up a car. I would be impressed if any of the victims parents wanted to connect with the DeGrood's, though I certainly wouldn't think poorly of them if they opt not to. There's a conversation I couldn't think of a single way to start.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Internet forums too? People will always find a way to communicate and express themselves.... Even you since you're here
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM

What we saw on TV is a man who is utterly heartbroken. Many lives and destiny's have been altered forever. My heart goes out to all involved.