Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Lots of info out there on both sides of the debate.
I can't say whether it's good or bad, but it sure isn't simple.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...rs/index.shtml

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...ed/index.shtml

http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/cfib-documents/TFW2013_EN.pdf

http://www.plant.ca/general/cfib-set...orkers-112141/
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM

http://globalnews.ca/news/1282675/wa...reign-workers/
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I think it has become fashionable lately to slam companies using TFW in the media and it seems the media is only showing one side of the story too.

Hours reduced to 3/week. Isn't that what you do to people you want to get rid of? She is an adult woman who needs a paycheque and her previous job was for 12 hours/week.

I see some red flags.......
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 PM

Talking gummin away

Transient workers take the shaft like any other low income worker ,,price of gasoline ,rent,food,clothing,no one's making it rich ,only the rich is getting richer ,,just wait jan 1 2015,,,the canadian border opens up to foreign workers making it easier to get in to this great country called canada,,and foreign workers becoming perment residents foreign people are in for a shocker when they find out how much it cost to live here ,,employers will hire cheap laborer's and the average canadian employee well suffer and so well the foreigners,,,only the rich well get richer,,and the government well collect more tax's,,,,,,Maybe the answer is more foreigners ,they are going to need new cars ,,homes ,all kinds a things.....I'm going fishing the hell with the "world New" ,and politics.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Its a myth.

Harpers economic action plan to get us to fund profitable corporations...which is where almost all of that money went...and to drive down wages and your standard of living.

The governments own watchdog outed them.
Right......... That's why the latest survey indicates Canada's middle class is the highest paid in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/up...s-richest.html
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Right......... That's why the latest survey indicates Canada's middle class is the highest paid in the world.

You make it sound bad that we have a rich middle class? What would you like flood the country with tfw and give all our resources away? I for one like the fact that we have good wages and a little free space to hunt and fish.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
Transient workers take the shaft like any other low income worker ,,price of gasoline ,rent,food,clothing,no one's making it rich ,only the rich is getting richer ,,just wait jan 1 2015,,,the canadian border opens up to foreign workers making it easier to get in to this great country called canada,,and foreign workers becoming perment residents foreign people are in for a shocker when they find out how much it cost to live here ,,employers will hire cheap laborer's and the average canadian employee well suffer and so well the foreigners,,,only the rich well get richer,,and the government well collect more tax's,,,,,,Maybe the answer is more foreigners ,they are going to need new cars ,,homes ,all kinds a things.....I'm going fishing the hell with the "world New" ,and politics.

What do you mean by "open Border"
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 PM

Talking Just a,,,,, gummin

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
What do you mean by "open Border"
I mean't ,,,flood gates,,once it starts shes goin to be hard to stop
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
I mean't ,,,flood gates,,once it starts shes goin to be hard to stop
Yeah, just found the article.....sigh.....
Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
My brother in law is a trained nurse. He was sponsored by a retirement home and they got permission directly from the government to hire him as a healthcare aid, with the intention of helping him get his Alberta license. They had to renew the offer because the visa had not been approved after waiting 6 months for what should have been a 6 week process. Eventually the visa was rejected, and the retirement home was out all the money and time they invested trying to get him here. And this was when there was a serious shortage of healthcare workers, yet they seemed to be willing to immigrate tons of taxi cab drivers from Somalia.

I understand the issues with some of the TFW program, and I think it has been abused by some companies. But when we have a hard time filling positions because our own people refuse to go work in some locations, I understand why a company would rather hire a TFW than some spoiled self entitled kid with no experience.

I have had to travel for work, and have worked away from home for many years because there was little work where I lived for what I do, or the salary they pay and hours required were akin to what I could make working as a store greeter at Walmart. I know of a few younger kids that won't work unless they get big money. When I was their age, I worked 2 jobs to make up the difference. And when I first joined the Military, I made very little, and supplemented my income with a part time job.

If there is a need for workers, I believe we should hire our own people first, and then if we still have a need for workers, then we should hire from outside our boarders.

I think my biggest issue with the TFW program is not that they hire foreigners, but that they are selective on who they hire. It seems that our government only hires from certain nations. And then the next issue is with not holding companies accountable to prove they have a need for the TFW they hire. I remember a few weeks ago there was a company that laid off a bunch of steel workers in Ft. Mac, but kept all the TFW and seemed to even hire more. To me this was wrong.

But then again, if it comes down to our economy stagnating because companies can't pay what workers demand, then this too is a problem. Maybe we need to re-evaluate our economy and tax structure so that people can afford to work for less.

Companys can pay , but they dont want to , they want slave labour and more profits and the Tories are on their side because of campaign funds by thease same companys.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Companys can pay , but they dont want to , they want slave labour and more profits and the Tories are on their side because of campaign funds by thease same companys.
Corporations are not allowed to donate to political parties in Canada. Back when they could the Liberal party received far more money from Corporations then all the other parties combined. I do agree the TFW program is a joke, we should have true free markets not corporatism. If a business doesn't have the money to pay staff for 3 Tim Hortons in one neighborhood then shut one of them down.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Corporations are not allowed to donate to political parties in Canada. .
Ohh please

Yup they have dinner fund raising which cost 1000$ a plate and sell it to corporation and their selected speaker their campaign manager
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Default This will all change .

When the majority of seniors are on medical pot.When Recreational pot
Is legal . Everything will come to a standstill .our high schools will be empty
Mexico of the north ,everyone laying around , to stoned to move .
We will need FW to do stuff , Canadians will be to she it faced ....
Whole generations blitzed , our rock star prime minister Justine
And MLA Bieber will be having whole Asian countries immigrating here .
We likely will change our name to Canadope .
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM

I can't wait for pot to be legalized so I can try it..............
Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter17 View Post
You make it sound bad that we have a rich middle class? What would you like flood the country with tfw and give all our resources away? I for one like the fact that we have good wages and a little free space to hunt and fish.
WHAT? BDB is claiming the standard of living is being driven down( his usual Harper bashing) when if fact we are doing better then ever.... Where do you read that I said that is a bad thing?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
WHAT? BDB is claiming the standard of living is being driven down( his usual Harper bashing) when if fact we are doing better then ever.... Where do you read that I said that is a bad thing?
real earnings have not kept pace with inflation for over 30 years. the availability of cheap credit is all that is keeping many people in the entitled standard of living they are engaged in. this is not just Harper's fault, there has been liberal governments who have ignored this issue, and wait, it all started after PETs numerous wonderful reforms.

don't think the old bad badger will be quiet if a liberal majority gets elected. some of us enjoy and practice our right to openly and consistently question the actions of the government de jeur.

vote independent or fringe next election. bring back debate, bring back compromise to our governance.

also, the "free" market is a pipe dream from 200 years ago. it's time for something new.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

Try that again and this time ....read the report.

Canadas middle class is not the wealthiest in the world but rather we have surpassed the US.

And... that isn;t really saying much is it?

Then take a look at how they measured all of that then consider that wages have still not kept pace with profits or executive salaries and finally that just because we shifted position a bit does not mean that the middle class has not slipped in all of the countries examined.

Finally... its the NY Times.

Had they published anything that did not support your argument in this instance... would you be so quick to hold them in such esteem?

Honestly... hoow seriously do most guys here take the NY Times when they talk about Alberta Oil, the right vrs the left etc?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your brilliant analysis.

Care to comment on the TFW program now that it has been proven to have caused increased unemployment and now that we know that employers have been using it to under pay?
You know darn well that Timmys and McDonalds didn't react the way they did if they had a leg to stand on.
And you ought to know darn well that the minister only reacted the way he did because the President of McD's literally admitted that there were laws being broken.

The fast food places have only one reason for hiring TFW's... either they are such rotten employers that nobody will work for them except some guy from overseas that feels trapped when he gets here or they are saving on wages...or both.

Because Lord knows they cannot claim that there is a dirth of suitably skilled workers for their operations.

Like...I presume you..I voted Conservative in the last federal election and every one before that.
I did that because Harper made promises and because I hoped for change.

Those promises have not been kept... they have been just as corrupt as any other government in our history and they have done more to erode rights than any government in history.

I never left the CPC...they left me.... but don't worry that doesn't mean that I will vote Liberal or NDP because I will not....they are no better and..as mentioned... really no worse.

It took awhile but I woke up and realized that the problem is not which party wins...its parties period.

My hope is that we can eliminate party politics in Canada altogether and... see Canadians having more access to and influence over their government than non-citizen owners of corporations.

Obviously... that is where you and I truly disagree.

Keep on hoping and see if that starts working for you.
Me? I'm for trying something other than what has consistently failed us as a people for generations.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 04-26-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Was talking to a worker at C T in Sp. Paul
He has been there for 5 years on and off. He is getting $13.00 an hour. He tells me the foreign workers (which they have many of) are making way more.
Go figure!!!!!!!!
I think it is time to start to boycott these places.