Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Another Kayak post..lol

Hey guys,
I don't believe this has been asked, but does anyone know of a decent sit op top (sea) fishing kayak? I was looking for a reasonably priced one that will seat 2 people. I mean I could just put rod holders on a regular one and i'd prob save hundreds.
That said, I like the idea of a dry well and the design of fishing kayaks in general. Anywhere in Calgary I can get one or even look at one? If not, is there a website I should be checking out? I can imagine shipping would be stupid on such an item though!
Thanks in advance folks!
Cheers and tight lines
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Bass pro has some.

I'd be a bit more expensive, but I'd consider going 2 singles instead of one double. You won't want to fish alone from a double, as it would be difficult to unload. Even my 12 foot is a bit difficult for me to take off my roof by myself.

mine is nothing fancy, just an ascend sit on top. But it's got 3 rod holders (front one swivels), plenty of space, and it's pretty stable.

I like it a lot more than my belly boat, as long as you don't have to carry it too far.

here's my girlfriend with a small walleye, she even likes it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3627.JPG (87.7 KB, 67 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Good point man! Maybe I should just consider buying 2.....how much are roof racks for the car I wonder....hmmm
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM

I have this one, http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/ka...hing/big-tuna/ it’s a nice boat, I got it very late last year so we only floated it once. Not many tandems around in the fishing Yak space. IIRC there are something like 13 seat configs so it can be run solo. You and SWMBO need to work well with each other tandems are called divorce machines for a reason but if you do work well together you can fly.

It’s 85lbs stripped down, getting it up on my Yukon can be a stretch, but that is the combination of the height of the truck and the weight of the boat. To solo it I need a window roller and a cart, or a roof rack for my corolla . The down side is it will likely be a special order it is a popular boat, so if you end up going go now.

Ironically though I am already thinking of a second boat. The boat is not big enough for me, the dog, skunk boy, 18 decoys and shotguns.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 AM

The kayak mounts for a roof rack were just shy of 100$, paddles are 200$ ish IIRC for middle of the road. Get paddling life jackets regular ones suck.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Aquabatics or Glenmore sailboats in Calgary carry a few different brands of fishing yaks. Would be a good place to start.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

https://www.google.ca/images?rlz=1T4...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ