Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Default Hanna antelope populations

Has anyone heard how the antelope populations around hanna are this year? Should be pulling the tag this year, im curious i heard alot of antelope died this year down there????
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM

Unhappy

heard the same thing.....and seen some dead ones from highway 9 going east of hanna
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM

with an 8 or soemthing im gonna go 999 again.
i hope the antelope population didnt suffer too bad.
always enjoy seeing them

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Theyve been nuked.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Theyve been nuked.
x2,Atomic Winter ,is what I've been Calling it.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM

well i kinda hope for the sake of the species it is closed until further notice.
no archery, no hens, no bucks.
maybe even bounty coyotes in the south zones to help soften the calf predation

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Remember that these animals are migratory. Many of our goats head to the US for the winter. During long/hard winters or a late spring on the prairie, many pronghorns will not come back all the way north. We've seen this trend for many years. A series of warm winters and the populations spread farther north, a long winter can keep them farther south for a while.

We'll have to wait until mid May to have a good idea of Pronghorn populations in Alberta.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Default pronghorn and muleys doing poorly

In the spring 2011 issue of Big Buck magazine, the editor said, and I quote..."It's now March 1st and I wish I had better news for you. Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba are going through..(paraphrasing here) a tough winter......"The worst die-off will occur in the mule deer and antelope herds....We could very well see and 80% to 90% die-off for mule deer and even higher for antelope."

Anyone in these areas agree?

Regarding antelope moving south to Montana. Probably have done that, but the pronghorn in northern Montana moved south along the Missouri River long ago.....and rumour has it they have lost a ton of pronghorn.

ticdoc
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM

In the herd I hunt I seen 8 in the bunch and there is 50-60 most years. Not sure if they have split up yet but I am guessing not. I hope the season is shut down for a few years, if we have a wet spring again like its looking things could get worse..
Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticdoc View Post
In the spring 2011 issue of Big Buck magazine, the editor said, and I quote..."It's now March 1st and I wish I had better news for you. Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba are going through..(paraphrasing here) a tough winter......"The worst die-off will occur in the mule deer and antelope herds....We could very well see and 80% to 90% die-off for mule deer and even higher for antelope."

Anyone in these areas agree?ticdoc
no.

yes some died, and likely it was above average. they are far from collapsed though.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Gone Hunting

If you know so much about this Ishootbambi, please explain what you have been seeing durring and post the last 3 successive winters with regards to antelope. You seem like the kind of guy that is incapable of seeing things clearly, even after they have slapped you up side the head..

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Does seem to be a few folks that are really knowledgable on the subject.....
Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Remember that these animals are migratory. Many of our goats head to the US for the winter. During long/hard winters or a late spring on the prairie, many pronghorns will not come back all the way north. We've seen this trend for many years. A series of warm winters and the populations spread farther north, a long winter can keep them farther south for a while.

We'll have to wait until mid May to have a good idea of Pronghorn populations in Alberta.
Yes, it appears that a lot of antelope from Alberta and Saskatchewan have made there way south. I live here in the Milk River Valley east of Havre and although a lot of antelope died this winter, the snow has now melted (althought it's snowing again this morning!) and there are several large groups of antelope here in the valley... I've seen several groups of 50 or more between Chinook in Havre recently.

The problem for the animals that want to migrate back to Canada is getting across the Milk River. It's near flood stage and is expected to be very high for several weeks and the vast majority of the antelope I've seen are on the south side of the river. The snow has melted here in the valley, but between the valley and the border and up into Canada there is still a lot of snow that has yet to melt. I'm no biologist by any means, but I'm thinking they are going to have their fawns down here and more than likely stick around for a while. When they make their way back north is anyone's guess, if they do at all.

We lost some deer here, but we have a terrible overpopulation problem so it was bound to happen sooner or later. We lost more Mule Deer than Whitetails, but we still have plenty of both around. I took this picture in the field next to my house a couple of weeks ago. You can't see all the deer in this photo, but I counted 106 and there were still deer coming out as it got dark..

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you know so much about this Ishootbambi, please explain what you have been seeing durring and post the last 3 successive winters with regards to antelope. You seem like the kind of guy that is incapable of seeing things clearly, even after they have slapped you up side the head..
what i saw last year was herds of the things in every field. i dont remember for sure, but i think the buck i shot was about number 130 on day 3? the pre hunt count showed around 20000 in alberta. i suspect the overall count will be down some, but from what i see working out in antelope country every day until a week or so ago, there were herds in every field. the goats in the suffield base seemed to be doing even better than those in farmers fields.....i didnt find a single dead one in the base....not saying none died, but seemed to be less than everywhere else.

i said it before and ill repeat it now. for those who have never seen it, a half dozen or more dead goats in one place looks terrible. the way they group into huge herds in one place makes it look awful when a few dont make it. the counts wil be done in june or july or whatever, and we'll know for sure then. my gfuess is that the numbers will show them to be a lot tougher than some people think.

or maybe.....i suppose its possible that they goats in my travels are tougher than those where you have been looking. after all, my alberta had 20000 last year, and yours only had 3000 right?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
The problem for the animals that want to migrate back to Canada is getting across the Milk River. It's near flood stage and is expected to be very high for several weeks and the vast majority of the antelope I've seen are on the south side of the river. The snow has melted here in the valley, but between the valley and the border and up into Canada there is still a lot of snow that has yet to melt. I'm no biologist by any means, but I'm thinking they are going to have their fawns down here and more than likely stick around for a while. When they make their way back north is anyone's guess, if they do at all.
Yup, when the Pronghorns migrate farther south than usual during a harsh winter, and then can't move back north due to snow/runoff conditions, they are going to stop migrating to have their fawns where they.

Making conclusions regarding Alberta Pronghorn populations in April is pointless. It may turn out that there is a heavy winterkill this year, and it may turn out that many Alberta Pronghorns do not migrate back this spring. A reduction in populations could be from a combination of these factors. We simply have to wait until early summer to know what the numbers are, and where they are.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
what i saw last year was herds of the things in every field. i dont remember for sure, but i think the buck i shot was about number 130 on day 3? the pre hunt count showed around 20000 in alberta. i suspect the overall count will be down some, but from what i see working out in antelope country every day until a week or so ago, there were herds in every field. the goats in the suffield base seemed to be doing even better than those in farmers fields.....i didnt find a single dead one in the base....not saying none died, but seemed to be less than everywhere else.

i said it before and ill repeat it now. for those who have never seen it, a half dozen or more dead goats in one place looks terrible. the way they group into huge herds in one place makes it look awful when a few dont make it. the counts wil be done in june or july or whatever, and we'll know for sure then. my gfuess is that the numbers will show them to be a lot tougher than some people think.

or maybe.....i suppose its possible that they goats in my travels are tougher than those where you have been looking. after all, my alberta had 20000 last year, and yours only had 3000 right?
I have to agree with ISB statements, I originally thought their population would have been down at least 50% this winter... On my travels to work this morning, I seen at least 150 and they look to be in pretty good shape.

I did have to dispose of about 2 dozen dead ones on the farm this year, thought it was a bad sign, but seems they will rebound fairly well...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
. We simply have to wait until early summer to know what the numbers are, and where they are.
that right there truly sums it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Hey i appreciate all of your input, i sure hope all is well with the speed goat populations.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Friend of mine works in the Morrin Area, said he has bin seeing a herd of about 40 antelope
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Lots died for sure, i know that over 60 dead antelope were taken out of medicine hat this winter by city workers but both of my ecology teachers have been watching the situation and saying its mostly very young ones that died and the death rate isn't necessarily that much higher than previous years, its just noticeable because they entered the city when they couldn't find food elsewhere. Last Friday i counted over 150 south of the city. We wont know the extent of the damage until they all move back north.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltprins View Post
Lots died for sure, i know that over 60 dead antelope were taken out of medicine hat this winter by city workers but both of my ecology teachers have been watching the situation and saying its mostly very young ones that died and the death rate isn't necessarily that much higher than previous years, its just noticeable because they entered the city when they couldn't find food elsewhere. Last Friday i counted over 150 south of the city. We wont know the extent of the damage until they all move back north.
Does that are under severe stress may not nessecarily perish but assuming they are bred the doe will quite often abort and absorb the fetus. Exact same throughout the animal kingdom to the best of my limited knowledge.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Gone Hunting

There are antelope still dieing around the Brooks area. Snow is almost all gone and they are still dropping like flies. The survivors are so severely stressed they will not leave where they wintered and are starving to death. This is happening DAILY,,, STILL, and still in HIGH NUMBERS, and its been above 0 temps for 2 to 3 weeks!!! You guys that are from the south and are talking like you know some sh*t better smarten up and stop talking like you know it all, its a world class wreck and its still going on!! Pay attention and take a look around yourselves. Because you saw a herd of antelope doesnt mean you know what your talking about!!!

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM

I work alot in Brook's, Med Hat, Sufflield, and all through the south along highway 3 Bow Island, Purple spring's i have seen about the same number's i have alway's seen this time of year, yes there is a dead one here or there as i glass the field whenever i see magpie's or raven's. Pack seriously a mass die off could you post some pic's please not that i do not believe you but since jan 1 i have about 60 work day's in this country and have not seen "dropping like flies" with my eye's!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
There are antelope still dieing around the Brooks area. Snow is almost all gone and they are still dropping like flies. The survivors are so severely stressed they will not leave where they wintered and are starving to death. This is happening DAILY,,, STILL, and still in HIGH NUMBERS, and its been above 0 temps for 2 to 3 weeks!!! You guys that are from the south and are talking like you know some sh*t better smarten up and stop talking like you know it all, its a world class wreck and its still going on!! Pay attention and take a look around yourselves. Because you saw a herd of antelope doesnt mean you know what your talking about!!!
Well take some pictures of all of these antelope "dropping like flies".....
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Like I said boys, because you see some antelope haired up and supposedly "looking good" doesnt mean you know whats going on. You are being told exactly what is going on, like it, dont like it, it changes nothing. Are you guys that want photos of dead antelope marginal enough to think that a handful of pictures posted on here will magically convince you of what is going on LOL. Thanks and take care.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 AM

They took a heavy hit in Montana.

Severe Winter Taking Toll On Antelope
Food Hidden Buried Under Snow; Train Hits Herd Of 150 Near Vandalia Dam
By Samar Fay Courier Editor

Published: Wednesday, January 26th, 2011
With snow levels inching up on another record year, local wildlife is struggling to survive.
Birds are huddled under bushes. Hay yards are swarming with deer. Antelope that normally feed on sagebrush and other prairie plants are getting hungry and moving south to find food. Unfortunately, their instinctive migration is as difficult and dangerous as the winter weather.
They follow roads and tracks because it’s much easier than the exhausting slog through deep snow. But it can be deadly. Last week, there were two reports of trains hitting groups of antelope west of Glasgow and some were hit by a car on a county road.
On Sunday morning, there was a particularly disastrous event. A train hit a large herd of antelope west of Vandalia Dam. A game warden got a ride on a track truck to the site and found more than 150 animals hit. His painful duty was to shoot them.“It’s a tough winter for them and the other wildlife migrating,” said Mark Sullivan, the Fish, Wildlife & Parks wildlife program manager for Region 6. “It’s triggered by winter conditions back to November, the first snowfall. The lucky ones have made it further south. There a lot of roadblocks on the migration routes that never existed 200 years ago.”
Sullivan said he doesn’t blame the trains, which can’t possibly stop in time. The accidental slaughter is a horrible experience for the engineers, too.
Highways and subdivisions are additional modern problems for the herds to deal with, but the worst obstacle may be fences, Sullivan said. Antelope have evolved as the fastest land animals in the Americas, but they don’t jump very well. They crawl under fences, unless the bottom wire is set low or snow piles up and there is no way under.
Sullivan said there are definitely a lot of Canadian antelope moving south and the animals stack up on the Milk River bottom, because of the highway and a lot of fences. Even if they get down to Fort Peck Lake, it is not a particularly good wintering area. If the ice is hard, they can cross the lake and perhaps do better on the other side. A few years ago, scores of antelope drowned near Duck Creek when the ice broke under them.
Like deer and cattle, antelope are ruminants. Their four-part stomachs contain bacteria that break down plant matter. Unfortunately for winter-stressed antelope, their particular bacteria are not geared to hay. When they are in poor condition and are forced to eat hay, many can’t make the switch and they die.
There is not much that people can do to help, Sullivan said. One suggestion is for ranchers to leave gates open on empty pastures. This allows the antelope to find their way through and continue their migration. Another long-term suggestion is to place the lowest fence wire 18 inches or more above the ground, so antelope can more easily wiggle under.
Sullivan said FWP will probably cut back on hunting licenses for antelope next year. They do aerial surveys in mid-summer, in time to change the license quota in mid-July if needed.
You can’t stockpile wildlife population, Sullivan said. You can try bringing back a population by not hunting them and you get a winter like this. He said the resiliency of the antelope will depend on weather conditions for the next few years. If the summer has good growing conditions and is followed by an easy winter, there will be good fawn production.
“If there is a drought and a hard winter, they are just going to be hanging in there,” Sullivan said.

Winter takes toll on northeastern Montana wildlife

By BRETT FRENCH Of The Gazette Staff The Billings Gazette | Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 12:00 am | (11) Comments

.DAVID GRUBBS/Gazette Staff
A doe antelope lies in a depression dug in a field near Glasgow last week. This winter's near-record snowfall is covering the animal's traditional winter food -- sagebrush. Antelope won't raid haystacks to eat.
GLASGOW — The doe antelope had dug its own grave.

Weakened by months of cold, its usual foods covered in snow, it lay in a 3-foot-deep depression in the snow. Only its head was visible as it warily watched a car stopped along a nearby road. It was too weak to stand and flee.

“It's just a symptom of the severity of the winter,” said Kelvin Johnson, a wildlife biologist for Fish, Wildlife and Parks in Glasgow. He said the doe would be lucky to live one more day.

Train casualties

It has been a grim winter for wildlife. Earlier, Johnson had to help shoot 50 antelope that were injured after a train ran into a portion of a herd gathered on the railroad tracks near Hinsdale. Another 220 antelope were killed in the initial impact, their bodies scattered for more than a mile and left to feed scavengers.The antelope gather on the tracks because they are free of snow. Off the tracks, the snow can vary from 4 to 8 feet deep. To walk through it, the antelope move in single file, trading places breaking trail, much as flying geese trade leaders.

To feed, the antelope and deer have to paw through the snow. Johnson said the landscape would look like a crater-pocked moonscape to anyone flying over — hundreds of holes scraped into the ground as the wildlife seek food.

“Can you imagine having to paw seven times for a nibble?” Johnson said.

Tough winter

Across northeastern Montana, continuous snow and cold have left antelope weakened and dying. Whitetail deer swarm haystacks like flies on meat. Carcasses of dead antelope and deer litter the hillsides and valleys. Only the golden and bald eagles, magpies and crows are getting fat as they scavenge the animal corpses.

“It's difficult out there, and they've been doing it since November,” Johnson said.

Bad winters are common across the rolling prairie of northeastern Montana, only miles from the Canadian border. But this winter has been harsher than normal, with snow coming earlier and heavier.

“We're well on the way to having a record-breaking winter,” said Mark Sullivan, FWP's Glasgow-region wildlife manager. “It's tough on wildlife, no doubt.”

It will also be tough on hunters who are likely to see licenses reduced for antelope and mule deer.

“This has really been the land of plenty for mule deer,” Johnson said. “Everyone's been coming out here. Probably people need to make another plan this year. We are going to lose a lot of deer.”

Fewer licenses

As Johnson explains it, much of the mule deer fawn crop was lost in the winter of 2003-04 that set a record for snowfall — nearly 6 feet. Does that were weakened by the winter had few fawns.

“We're missing that age class that would be 6- or 7-year-olds now,” he said. “I'm quite confident we'll see a limited age-class coming out of this.”

The winter also kills bucks that have low fat reserves after the fall breeding season.

“So bucks and fawns are the most susceptible going into winter with low or no fat reserves,” Johnson said. “So we'll likely lose a lot of mature bucks.”

FWP warden Todd Anderson said he already has found dead mule deer so emaciated that no muscle remained along the backbone.

“I saw one buck that looked like it hurt to walk,” said warden Todd Tryan. “He couldn't even hold his head up.”

The migration

Antelope migrate south to avoid such winters, moving through the plains in herds as large as 400 to 500. But man-made obstacles, like fences, can halt their progress. Sometimes in winter they can walk over the top of fences buried in the snow.

The Glasgow area's resident antelope push south to the Missouri River, some crossing Fort Peck Reservoir atop the ice.

In the spring, they'll attempt to return, but fences may be a greater obstacle to movement after snow has melted. And after ice has broken up, antelope sometimes try to swim across the reservoir.

The antelope around Glasgow now are those that have migrated south from Canada, taking over grazing lands that the resident herds have already abandoned. Moving 100 to 200 miles in deep snow is no easy task. Fawns are typically the first to die. Counts from a difficult winter in 2008 showed the antelope numbers dipping 20 percent, with most of the dead being fawns, Johnson said.

“It shows that migration works,” he said, keeping alive breeding adults while sacrificing the young.

In Sheridan County, a haven for pheasant hunters, Fish, Wildlife and Parks has begun allowing landowners to feed birds, according to Sullivan, the wildlife manager. The department allows feeding when 90 percent of the natural occurring foods are unavailable. Landowners are reimbursed for mileage and feed costs.

“Quite frankly, birds can spring back really fast if the habitat conditions are good,” Sullivan said. “And we should see good habitat conditions this spring. They should have good nesting cover.”

With two more months of snow and cold ahead, the danger for wildlife is far from over.

“It's just one of those tough winters that we go through up here,” said Pat Gunderson, Glasgow's FWP supervisor. “But when you're not in the game of animal husbandry it's a little hard to sit back and watch.”
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Like I said boys, because you see some antelope haired up and supposedly "looking good" doesnt mean you know whats going on. You are being told exactly what is going on, like it, dont like it, it changes nothing. Are you guys that want photos of dead antelope marginal enough to think that a handful of pictures posted on here will magically convince you of what is going on LOL. Thanks and take care.
Calm down, we are just telling you what we are seeing. Would pictures of a large herd change your mind lol? A lot died, i have seen them too, we just wont know how bad it actually is until the ones that went south migrate back.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
And despite this conclusion, we all know you will still apply for and fill your tags.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
And despite this conclusion, we all know you will still apply for and fill your tags.
Boy, now thats intelligent LOL. I guess you think by boycotting something as a single digit army you can promote change. Theres a good one. Even when faced with solid facts, this province and its managers do as they please. Not sure what world your living in, but the tags go out wether there is a resource to justify it or not in Alberta, there is multiple instances depicting this,,, and that is fact, wether guys wanna admit it or not. The ones not realizing this, well . But thats not the issue right now/yet Walking Buffalo. The issue right now is that SRD needs to be made completely aware of what is going on so they dont drop the ball AGAIN.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
. The issue right now is that SRD needs to be made completely aware of what is going on so they dont drop the ball AGAIN.
srd has made some decisions that have baffled us for sure.....but i can pretty well guarantee that you can make them aware of whatever you think you know, and i can make them aware of whatever i think i know.....and neither opinion amounts to squat. the fact is they will count them in june or july or whatever and let us know.