Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM

Default Looking to get an all around spotting scope

I am in the market for an all around spotting scope that I can use for spotting from the truck as well as hiking the coulees and mountains.

I have been eyeing up either the new vortex viper hd straight eye piece in 15-45x 65 or the vortex razor hd in the 11-33x50. I can get both for the same price brand new. They would both be $800 canadian shipped with the vortex high mountain tripod.

I am open to other options as well. Other brands and models to look at. My buddy suggested a leupold gold ring which i can get for about $900 Canadian shipped.

I am also looking into a decent tripod to use while hiking with my new spotting scope and my binos.

Let me know what you think a good option is and why. I will be using it mostly for mule deer. Whitetails. And elk.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Do you do much hunting on foot or mostly from the truck?

I’m a mule deer outfitter, and hunt sheep for myself... i use a Leupold Golden Ring... the magnification (12-40x) isn’t quite as great as some of the other scopes out there, but it’s small, lightweight and compact... i have a client that brings up a Swarovski, and it’s so big, heavy and long that any movement in the truck when it’s on a window mount, or a windy day when it’s on the tripod, it shakes so much that it’s useless. I don’t have experience with the vortex spotters, so can’t really comment on them.
If i ever was in the market for another spotter, i wouldn’t hesitate to go with another Leupold - but would probably get the 20-60 instead.
I use a composite manfrotto tripod, and it’s without a doubt the best one I’ve ever had. The aluminum ones are loud if they bang on anything, and the steel ones are too heavy.
Just my $0.02
Old 04-15-2018, 02:01 PM

I scout from the truck and walk in mostly for mule deer but this year I plan on hitting the mountains for more elk hunts.

I will be doing a lot more hiking this season to get away from roads and other hunters.

I am currently going over my gear to make sure my I have everything I will need as well as a light and organized pack. A decent spotting scope and tripod is one of the major things I am currently lacking.

I have about $800 or so to spend on a spotter. Tripod. And bino/ tripod adapter.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:02 PM

If you're going into the mountains for spot and stalk I would say your going to want to spend most of your time behind binos rather than your spotter. Vortex has nice spotter but alittle heavy Im not familiar with a good budget scope but I have used the amazon basics tripod they run about $100 and work really well you just need to get a pan head for it. If I were you I would make sure I set aside enough money for good binos over a scope. I use zeiss sf which are pricey but fantastic If I had to buy a pair of 10x42s right now I would get the nikon monarch HG they are FANTASTIC they will cost you about 1400 but compare to binos twice that price. You will use them far more than the spotter
Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Just bought some Vanguard Endeavor binos a few months ago and I'm really impressed.

Not sure where you can get your hands on a spotting scope to check it out but I'd recommend some research on them.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:16 PM

45X over the 33X........and I would take a 45X over a 60X. 60X is subject to a lot of mirage at that power and it's bigger/heavier in your pack, on a mountain.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 PM

If buying a vortex buy a razor, I had a viper and it was crap