Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Default Can a new F-150 be a reliable 10+ year truck?

I'm seeing Ford dealers blowing out 2018s for what Sherwood Ford claims on their website is cost plus GST. True or not, $32k for an F-150 XLT has got me thinking of trading up from my car.

My concern is with all the crazy efficiency-scraping technology they use on these new trucks nowadays that there's so much more to break or wear out. Not just on Fords but the big 3 are all building them like this now.

I'm not asking for reliability stories, there are already a hundred of those threads. How well do you guys think these trucks are gonna hold up in 6, 8 or 10 years?

Last edited by ssyd; 04-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM

It all depends on how you use, maintain and take care of it.

If you are in the oilfield, it won't last 10 years.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Banned

Yup!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Not a chance in hell
Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM

I Sure Hope so
Old 04-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Too many variables. Km/year, hiway, city, lease roads, hauling anything? How often? Etc. Etc etc. Light use I’m sure they will. Lots of lease roads and a lot of lugging the 5 th wheel around I doubt it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM

If you take care of it, I'm sure it will.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
Not a chance in hell
Mine is......like anything else in life put the maintenance into it and cross your fingers....my old gmc went 21 years....had a Toyota that went 8 years of pure crap....just depends.

Get what you need that fits your requirements and carry on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It all depends on how you use, maintain and take care of it.

If you are in the oilfield, it won't last 10 years.
That there is the simple truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost that has 407000km's that still runs pretty good. I would say it can last if properly maintained.
My 2013 F150 ecoboost only has 150,000 km's on it but it's still in excellent condition. Mechanically, it's perfect. It's a got a few scratches, chips and a door ding in it, but no rust.

I keep it clean and do the proper maintenance. I expect to still be driving it 10 years from now.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-22-2019, 03:11 PM

I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost that has 407000km's that still runs pretty good. I would say it can last if properly maintained.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
I just picked up a 2013 F150 3.5 EcoBoost in June with 28,000 on have 18 more thousand on it no issues yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM

I drive F-150's that my company rent for me. It is usually less than 1-yr old with 5 to 15k kms.
Several years ago I would say may be. For the last couple years it is complete garbage. Yes, rental trucks are used and abused. But you probably not buying truck to go to your office and occasionaly to Costco withinh the city. Less than 15k and full bunch of small things pop-up. Locks are not working properly, frame is rattling, funny noise when it is below -30 (not so funny if it is YOUR truck) and so on and so on.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
I drive F-150's that my company rent for me. It is usually less than 1-yr old with 5 to 15k kms.
Several years ago I would say may be. For the last couple years it is complete garbage. Yes, rental trucks are used and abused. But you probably not buying truck to go to your office and occasionaly to Costco withinh the city. Less than 15k and full bunch of small things pop-up. Locks are not working properly, frame is rattling, funny noise when it is below -30 (not so funny if it is YOUR truck) and so on and so on.
I rent trucks for work as well, I have driven mostly F150s, also Chevs and Dodges. Your satement is bang on.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Aluminum may sound good in marketing ploy, but not practical for a real truck .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox71UKDeazU

Friend had one with hail damage, One time fix , new panels nest time.

Grizz
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Aluminum may sound good in marketing ploy, but not practical for a real truck .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox71UKDeazU

Friend had one with hail damage, One time fix , new panels nest time.

Grizz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblyH-6F2Hc
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM

Got 165,000 0n my 2005 F150 that I maintain religously, thinking of a F250 as the dealers seem to be swamped with 2018's and need something to haul a camper.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Can a new F-150 be a reliable 10+ year truck?
ask your self can any truck be a reliable 10+ year truck
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Owned a 2011 f150 for 8 months. Wasn’t worth the heartache.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Has anyone on her ever done the math to determine the cost of maintenance to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Seems like a conveniently forgotten expense like interest on a mortgage.

What is the total cost of ownership in real world applications.

Wife's 2007 Honda Fit has cost about 11K in repairs,tires, oil changes and fluids not including recalls since new in fall of 2006.
It has 300,000 km and we budget $30 a week in fuel

Has depreciated about 13k in 13 years
Seems like new trucks depreciate more than that the first year.

Last edited by omega50; 04-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Has anyone on her ever done the math to determine the cost of maintenance to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule.

Seems like a conveniently forgotten expense like interest on a mortgage.

What is the total cost of ownership in real world applications.

Wife's 2007 Honda Fit has cost about 11K in repairs,tires, oil changes and fluids not including recalls since new in fall of 2006.
It has 300,000 km and we budget $30 a week in fuel

Has depreciated about 13k in 13 years
Seems like new trucks depreciate more than that the first year.
My Trailblazer (2007) was paid off in 2014. It now has 325000 kms. Every tax season I average the costs and over the time it's been paid off I've paid an average of $885/yr. This includes regular maintenance and a couple of brake jobs. I've been very lucky that in the last 5 years other than a serpentine belt, a steering rack and a power steering pump nothing has failed.
Plus I deal with a very good independent dealer who charge by the hour, not book rate (meaning you don't get charged a 2hr book rate for something that his mechanic finishes in an hour).
Of course doesn't include gas.
It runs like a charm has no rust and if you work it out on a monthly basis it is $73.75/mo.
I personally don't need to spend an extra $300-$400+ per month just to say my car is shinier than the next guys
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Everything will last to a certain age as long as you take proper care of it.
That being said, some products, including cars are better than others. That is the hard truth no matter how some guys spin it.

What I find hilarious is the people saying my truck is really good, only had a couple minor issues such as........

To me, and I believe Elkhunter mentioned it too, a reliable vehicle means no problems at all.

For example, my Tacoma, which I bought new is now 6 years old, just passed 140k, and has had literally ZERO issues. No problems, no repairs, nothing.
All it is getting is proper maintenance in the form of timely oil changes with synthetic, tire changes, fluid changes and that's it. I am still on my original brakes and I tow a camping trailer every year multiple times.
The truck has done everything I have ever asked of it and more. I think my truck has done more work and play than half the city princess trucks out there.

I know pricing has gone up over the last few years but when I look at the price I paid for my truck and compare it to a similar domestic for around the same price, a question arises...What does the price difference mean when a mid-size truck from Toyota costs the same as a full size from the big 3??
In my opinion, it's the R&D, quality of parts and overall build quality.

Everyone makes different choices when it comes to vehicles and in no way are they all trouble free, however there are some clear front runners when it comes to reliability and quality and not to mention value retention...
To each their own, I prefer to spend money wisely on a proven, reliable products from Toyota.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
What does the price difference mean when a mid-size truck from Toyota costs the same as a full size from the big 3?? In my opinion, it's the R&D, quality of parts and overall build quality.
I think it means that's what the finance guys feel people will pay for it, and that's it. The Ranger costs more than the F150, the Ridgeline and Gladiator are more than the base F150, both 1500s, Titan, and Tundra, yet I have a suspicious feeling you wouldn't think they are the best trucks offered by those five manufacturers.

Last edited by Trochu; 04-25-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
My Trailblazer (2007) was paid off in 2014. It now has 325000 kms. Every tax season I average the costs and over the time it's been paid off I've paid an average of $885/yr. This includes regular maintenance and a couple of brake jobs. I've been very lucky that in the last 5 years other than a serpentine belt, a steering rack and a power steering pump nothing has failed.
Plus I deal with a very good independent dealer who charge by the hour, not book rate (meaning you don't get charged a 2hr book rate for something that his mechanic finishes in an hour).
Of course doesn't include gas.
It runs like a charm has no rust and if you work it out on a monthly basis it is $73.75/mo.
I personally don't need to spend an extra $300-$400+ per month just to say my car is shinier than the next guys
Yup, that's the way try to look at vehicle ownership as well. I expect a vehicle to average $1K in maintenance annually over its lifetime.

Historically I bought older Ford pickups because they were cheaper to buy used on average, and I've become accustomed to working on them. With a Haynes manual and some good googling, I was able to do a lot of the work myself. I had a 2005 that I really loved to drive, spent a fair amount of time and money fixing it, but the purchase price was very low - so on average I did okay with it, and it was a great ride.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM

I absolutely hate vehicle shopping. Right now I need to start looking for a newer ride, I’ve been driving my truck for the last 17years (360000km) - it’s dependable and I like driving it but it’s really starting to look like hell.
For me the body’s usually rust away before I need to worry about serious mechanical issues. This thread really has me worried - and dreading my next purchase.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 AM

My 11 F150 was very reliable till 120k when I got rid of it.
My 15 Silverado was a complete nightmare,the Chevy shake....multiple lifter and pushrod failures, and a bad tranny that Chev deemed normal.
2 years of Chev telling me its all normal was enuff.
My current F150 with 40k on it has been pretty good,few little issues but a dream to drive compared to the previous Chev.
Some people say Im hard on my trucks....I use it as a truck ffs

Thing is I havent ever owned a vehicle for 10 years and dont plan to.
If I was I think Id look hard at the Tundra....ignore ****ty gas mileage,interiors that are way behind the times,options not available that other brands have.
It hasnt changed much in 10 years so its sorted out....and should be
10 years with any of the other brands....I wouldnt
I also agree that all the electronics on trucks are gonna be a problem later on...and expensive.
Thank god I dont want alot of the electronic doodads