Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Octoberfish Chum Salmon Derby

I got this iun an e mail today. It sounds very tempting........

Are you ready for some of the best fall fishing on offer?

Take on Vancouver Island’s fall salmon runs with the second annual Octoberfish Chum Salmon Derby at Painter’s Lodge or April Point Resort & Spa from October 1–13, 2008.

There are three prize packages up for grabs plus daily prizes. The angler with the biggest catch will win the all-inclusive fishing trip of a lifetime in the northern Queen Charlotte Islands!

Scroll down for package details and visit www.obmg.com/specials/chum-derby/ for more information.

To book your trip, call 1-800-663-7090.

Tight lines,

— The Oak Bay Marine Group Crew

1-800-663-7090
Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 AM

Smile

Hey John I have fished in the first ever Browns Bay Chum Derby. Which is just north of there. I can tell you it was amazing action. These fish fight like crazy when caught in the rivers, But when caught in the open ocean they are just insane. We were running 4 lines out with 2 down riggers. We stacked them 2 on each one. At one point we got a quad headder. Yes 4 chum on at one time. We were in a buddy of mine's boat at the time. He had a 26' SeaRay. We had enough room to manouver and we were fortunate enough to land all 4 fish. We didn't win the derby. But we had an absolute blast.

The prizes aren't the same as what you had described. But we did have a great time. With a prize like the Charlotte's trip that makes it even more exciting.

If you are seriously concidering it then I have a buddy who owns http://www.blueorcacharters.com/ Paul is not only a great guy. But one of the best in that area as he lives right there.

Have a great time.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

All tho I have never been to the derby (yet) it is a definete to do. I have a couple freinds from the west coast that have takin it in and the remarks are all the same the Browns Bay Derby is one of the funnest times a person can have on the water with your pants on of course . Do yourself a favour and go for it John..

Many people may not realise it but the Chum is the second largest of the Pacific Salmon species. They are not generaly considered to be the best table fair but to us flat landers fresh Salmon is fresh Salmon and like any fish its all in the way its prepared. Chum are considered by some to be the best for smoking they are a much oilier fish than the other species so they are great for smoking.

I have a couple pics some place on my computer from the derby when I find them I will post them..

Again go for it John...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

BBJ heres that pic I was looking for..

What do you think is this guy having a bit of fun ??? lololo I love this pic,, what a maroon...

Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
BBJ heres that pic I was looking for..

What do you think is this guy having a bit of fun ??? lololo I love this pic,, what a maroon...

Thats just crazy. So ive thoiught about it im unable to make the treak for the derby but it was mighty mighty tempting.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 PM

hey BBJ,

Next time you me and some of the goon squad outta go for the derby.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
hey BBJ,

Next time you me and some of the goon squad outta go for the derby.
Next year if I get my boat over winter Ill uh defenetly go into this derby and may others. At least it would be in my boat not the other guy then get you or posse to co fish with me Im looking hard at boats right now Im down to 2 diffrent brands 2 diffrent dealers.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 AM

You know I will be your co Angler any ol day of the week my man....lol