Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Called RAP line today.....Damn Poachers!

Well I was out pike fly fishing one of my spots today and there were quite a few fisherman on the banks.

Accross the bay from where I was a couple hundred yards away I see a guy catch a hammer handle pike. As he get it to shore he unhooks it and wings it up in the grass...no tape out no measuring nothing....I am thinking I know I am about 250yrds away right now ....but he brought out no tape and most fish people catch there are hammer handles.

I then see a mini-van that was parked further down drive up to where the guy is....I see another guy go over and proceed to stomp on the fish (assuming on the head). So I decide I can't let this slide.....

So I proceed to walk over to them .... past about 7-8 other people fishing some about 20 yards from them.

One guy sees me coming and reels in his line and breaks down his rod and goes to the back of the van to put it in. The older fella is standing over in the grass.....I knew thats where the fish was. So I walked over to him and look in the grass and there is 2 very undersize pike laying there....

So I proceed to tell these guys that those fish are way too small to be keeping......the ignorance started so my voice got raised and I proceeded to unleash on these guys.....they didnt say much once that started. Then they take the 2 fish and toss them in the lake....clearly they won't live. Then the oldest of the bunch proceeds to walk over and dig ANOTHER fish out of the grass and throw it in the lake......so I ask them how many more fish am I gonna find in the grass?

I also told them I have their license plate and if I see then down there again doing the same thing I'll call F&W. I told them if they have undersize fish at home they better go home and cook em quick...... so they get in their van and drive off.....not knowing I was planning on calling F&W anyways.

At this point I fish the floater out of the lake and take pictures of it next to my rod and my tape measure in case F&W needs it.

F&W called me back and asked for descriptions etc. As he is stting outside their house waiting for them to return. I gave him my email and told him ill send him the pics if he needs em.......I'll wait and see where this goes.

On a good note I nearly landed about a 15lb fish tonight! I tried to shore land him and when he got in shallow he spit the hook which is cool.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.