Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Default salmon trip next year. need help

im looking at booking a trip for 3 or 4 guys next year. i heard it was a slow year so im looking for sugestions for next year. i was thinking of masset on the qci's or prince rupert. does anyone know how they faired this year? any charter/lodge sugestions as well as time of year would be very helpful. also wondering if anyone has ever fished out at shearwater resort. was thinking taking my boat across the ferry is also an option.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Default The Charlottes

You should get a lot of responses....I can only tell you about our experience...3 years ago my bro's and i took our 75yr old dad to massett. We ended up booking thru Langara Lodge. Obviously they are a large operation. However we were looking for fun however at our own speed. We ended up staying at a B and B Langara had just puchased 5 mins from masset. It was perfect. It is called their Alaska View Lodge...it held 7 guests, full gourmet meals and housekeeping, large hot tub on the Ocean. Because it was a family trip all 5 of us crowded onto a 28' grady white. Our guide was excellent and obviously very patient with us as my dad and sister were not fisherman. In the 2 days on the water ( early July) we must have hooked 50 fish and brought 30 of them home between the 5 of us. Just missed a tyee as the largest was 29 lbs. We utilized their mooching rods which was a helluva lot like fly rodding once they were hooked. Langara has larger lodges with games rooms and bars and guide yourself boats however for our group and price range ( approx. $2500 each from Van for 3 nights and 2.5 days on the water) that lodge was perfect..someday I will be back...enjoy...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

BFD,,, the QCI are never a bad idea although even they had a tough time this year.. I would not use this year as an example ( I hope !!!) generaly speaking the charlets can produce some of the best fishing there is to be had,, mind you they are also some of the most expensive fishing there is to be had and I don't know about you but for myself I don't have to be pampered to enjoy a trip I actually enjoy it more when I am not concerned about what it is costing me.. When it comes to Salmon fishing you don't have to spend a ton of money to get into them actually the oposite is true you can get into all the fish you can handle on a bugdet,, and I don't mean sleeping in tents in the rain fishing out of a canoe either. There are many places that you can drive to, stay in very comfortable acomadations and fish out of very safe boats and be into all sorts of fish for around $400-$500/day. The trick to getting into Salmon is not necesarily "where" but "when"...

Like I suggest most anyone,, first decide when is the most convenient time for you to go then you can start to look at where.. That being said there are some basic rules of thumb, and the main one being that if its big Chinook you are after then generally speaking August is the best time of year just about any place.

If I were you and wanted a good fishing trip and don't want it to cost you a second mortage I would look at the Island,, to be more specific the north Island and or the west side even better the North west side of the Island,, they were some of the only area's that actually did have some decent runs this year,, they out did any other place even the QCI's...

There are some fine lodges or even cabins, motels or vacation rentals to be had at some of the northern locations..

Do yourself a favour spend some time on the internet snooping around places like,, Port Hardy, Port Mcneil, Zebelo's, Gold River, Nootka Sound, Telegraph Cove, Bamfeild, Tofino. A lot of these places have as good if not beter fishing than the QCI's the only differance is they can be done at a fraction of the price.. Don't get me wrong you can stay at some high end places at these locations as well but atleast here you have the option..

And if going with your own boat is an option,, well then thats an even better choice. Nootka sound has some awsome lodges that speceilise in do it youreself trips and the fishing on the west side can be absolutely great,, again as good as there is heck give me the north west Island in mid August over the QCI's any day..

Good luck in your search and I hope I have opened your eyes to a few more options any more questions I will try and help..
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Don't want to seem like I'm "fishing" for clientelle...but we have some amazing fishing with us out of Port Hardy on northern van island...posted weekly posts on here during summer...just search the forum or my profile for them. Gunslinger (Pat garrett) and monstermuley (Brian) came up with us this year and we had a blast!! Always fun...and lots of fish...all what fishing is about. But this year I will say Walleye hit the nail on the head when he said the NVI fishing was better than the charlottes..as it was.

Cheers.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
im looking at booking a trip for 3 or 4 guys next year. i heard it was a slow year so im looking for sugestions for next year. i was thinking of masset on the qci's or prince rupert. does anyone know how they faired this year? any charter/lodge sugestions as well as time of year would be very helpful. also wondering if anyone has ever fished out at shearwater resort. was thinking taking my boat across the ferry is also an option.
You need to look no further then a place called Zeballos BC Unreal fishing there. end of july all the way to the first 2 weeks of aug. is peak. Very hot fishing. Try a place called Zeballos Masons Lodge.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Prince Rupert

Fished out of Prince Rupert and Work Channel. Excellent in all regards. IM or email me if you want more info.

Mark
Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Grew up in Port Hardy on North Island, can attest to excellent Chinook and Coho fishing. PM me and I'll forward a link to a fishing lodge just outside Port Hardy that does guided and self-guided packages. Reasonable weekly rates too (I have no connection to lodge, just know they are located alongside an excellent fishing area)
Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Smile Salmon fishing

If your wanting to go to the Charlottes then get hold of my buddy Bret at www.fishmasset.com
Bret has a great boat and knows the water well. Actually he lives in Masset. So how much better can you know the place?

Hope you have a great time. The Charlottes are a magical place to visit.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG000A.JPG (39.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
gitrdun

My wife and I fished with Joe's Salmon Lodge this July. You are right, the salmon was slow, halibut was great. They're up in the Hakai Pass. The people at the Lodge treat you right and the accomodations are awesome. PM me for their number if you like.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 PM

I know a guy who sets up trips direct from Calgary to Langara (Queen Charolettes). The late May trip saw lots of salmon hooked and when I went in September there was good quality fish around.

Pm if you're interested