Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Brand new Jiffy SD60i is a piece of crap

and the customer service with Power Tech Canada is equally as shoddy, Jiffy USA called me within an hour only to tell me I must deal with PTC, no reply from PTC by mail or phone. Brand new from the box and the pull cord wont budge. Should of stuck with the tried tested and true Strikemaster. I could fiddle with it myself but it is brand new, fresh from the box, clean as a whistle, has never turned, it is no more than an object that looks like an auger but isn't an auger. New things shouldn't have to be fixed when new.

Nice weather for fishing and my hole cutter doesn't work. pretty p'od!!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Wow sorry to hear. I hope you have a backup manual that will still allow you to get out at least. Hope these guys make it right for you and make it up to you with some other kind of goodies like others have had when dealing with inconvenience s caused by their faulty product.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Wow sorry to hear. I hope you have a backup manual that will still allow you to get out at least. Hope these guys make it right for you and make it up to you with some other kind of goodies like others have had when dealing with inconvenience s caused by their faulty product.
You know those commercials for some pharmaceutical product where the visuals are a woman dancing with CGI butterflies and hugging elderly people while the audio is a high speed announcement stating all the terrifyingly horrible side effects that might happen to you i.e., dreams-may-include-demons-suicidal-thoughts-accompanied-by-serial-killer-fantasies-whether-you-are-awake-or-asleep-colon-may-shrink-causing-fecal-matter-to-come-out-of-your-esophagus-on-tuesday-afternoons.

These disclaimers should go on products nowadays. When did actual manufacturers come with the same caution as one dealing with craigslist?

terrible.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Yeah they don't make things like they used to. People are always trying to cut corners where they think it's possible to make a little more money. Everything including good people are getting more rare everyday. I would be ****ed off with jiffy and the Canadian side of it too. Service and customer service should be as good or better than your product with I would hope is good. Eskimo for the money seem OK for me so far have heard mainly good things and I've never had a bad taste yet with them. Jiffy I've heard quite a few though. Not having a reliable auger is almost as bad as not having one at all.lol
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Default bump

no doubt eh?

It's kind of like those of us old enough to remember life before the advent of the cellphone and the Internet (when it exploded on the scene).

I always wonder about what machinists thought when plastic became the It thing. Good swiss watches don't have plastic gears.

Here's a question; who still uses a Mitchell 300/400/A spinning reel from the 70's? Has it ever broken? Have you been able to fix it yourself if it did?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 PM

I got one! From my grandpa! Still works perfect!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 PM

2 spare spools with hard cases too
Old 12-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
no doubt eh?

It's kind of like those of us old enough to remember life before the advent of the cellphone and the Internet (when it exploded on the scene).

I always wonder about what machinists thought when plastic became the It thing. Good swiss watches don't have plastic gears.

Here's a question; who still uses a Mitchell 300/400/A spinning reel from the 70's? Has it ever broken? Have you been able to fix it yourself if it did?
Check on pre internet & cell phone. Plastic is crap, hence jiffy 30 one plastic part
Check on multiple Mitchell 300 with 5 or so spare spools. both jiffy & Mitchell going strong. Sorry to hear your day was spoiled.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 PM

Can you not exchange it at the store which you bought it?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Can you not exchange it at the store which you bought it?
ya know, I have 8 days to get it back and will do this tomorrow and then head out with a spud and chip a few holes out to relieve my anger.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Probably best just to take it back in one hand, can of gas in the vehicle.
Make sure the replacement fires up before leaving the store parking lot, if they give you the same model.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Probably best just to take it back in one hand, can of gas in the vehicle.
Make sure the replacement fires up before leaving the store parking lot, if they give you the same model.
Thought you were going to suggest something else with the gas thats what I felt like when I tried to return my propane auger to WSS and they said they couldnt because Id already put crankcase oil in it so they wouldnt have anything to do with it. Hard to get a propane bottle lit*
Cranky maybe get the store staff to fire it up in the lot just in case!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 AM

i had the same auger a couple of winters ago, first time out the plastic carb cover shattered in the box of my truck, the second trip out the throttle lever broke drilling the first hole. Jiffy's warrenty was a pain in the ass, they wanted me to take the auger to a mech for repairs. With enough arguing i finally got them to ship out the two parts for it and did the repair myself. I have an eskimo for this season, hopefully i have better auger luck
Old 12-09-2014, 01:51 PM

got a letter from ptc and took it in for repairs, then sulked my morning away at wss, and now making stinger set-ups, a wind jig system with a line clasp from a down rigger and then filing some old blades for the hand crank auger.

I know i'll be visiting the repair guys often this year, gut feeling.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Default bump for all those considering a new jiffy

I'm going to bump this thread till open water season.

Bill for fixing a brand new out of the box never used jiffy ice auger $57.23.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
I'm going to bump this thread till open water season.

Bill for fixing a brand new out of the box never used jiffy ice auger $57.23.
That just #^&^#$%% sucks!

Bobby

Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM

A bill for repairing a brand new auger is total horse apples. I had trouble with my new Jiffy as well and had a hassle getting it repaired. Very unfortunate. Jiffy doesn't seem to understand that after sale service sells the next auger.