Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsarcher View Post
unless that sick child once to go hunting.............and that i think is jamies point.
are you frickin blind , are hard of reading .... If a kid wants to go on a hunt then they will arrange something ...... Go read the make a wish website , go look for proof of this acuzation other then make a wish wouldnt grant the hunt for the one person as it wasnt a good business move that doesnt mean there agianst hunting ... Thats stretched from jamie saying so he never once proved any documention proving this ....

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 02-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Jim Maggio, a spokesman for the charity said : "Make-a-Wish has granted 83,000 wishes, but put a stop to hunting outings. It's a safety concern about exposing the kids and other participants to the potential danger of a weapon being handled by someone in a weakened state from a life-threatening disease."

Many see the move as politically correct. They believe that Make-a-Wish is worried that if it offers game trips it may lose the support of many business backers
Sorry BBJ not blind. I wrote several articles about this when it occured and spoke with Make a Wish at the time. Make A Wish will not grant a hunting or firearms related wish and have declined at least a dozen as of 2002. Luckily several other organizations not related to Make A Wish were started.

Make A Wish has stood up to the animal rights groups to date though and still offers fishing as a viable wish

Quote:
For instance, animal rights activists continue to protest the Make-A-Wish Foundation over certain wishes we grant, including fishing expeditions
Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Jim Maggio, a spokesman for the charity said : "Make-a-Wish has granted 83,000 wishes, but put a stop to hunting outings. It's a safety concern about exposing the kids and other participants to the potential danger of a weapon being handled by someone in a weakened state from a life-threatening disease."

Many see the move as politically correct. They believe that Make-a-Wish is worried that if it offers game trips it may lose the support of many business backers
Now read what you posted . WHERE IN ALL OF THIS DOES IT SAY THERE ANTI HUNTING ....... IT DOESNT .... HOW EVER IT DOES SAY ...It's a safety concern about exposing the kids and other participants to the potential danger of a weapon being handled by someone in a weakened state from a life-threatening disease." AS THEY DONT WANT TO BE IN THE BUSINESS OF HARMING THERE CLIENTS ANY FURTHER . TELL ME HOW YOU GET ANTI HUNTOUT OF ALL THAT .......

Quote:
Sorry BBJ not blind. I wrote several articles about this when it occured and spoke with Make a Wish at the time. Make A Wish will not grant a hunting or firearms related wish and have declined at least a dozen as of 2002. Luckily several other organizations not related to Make A Wish were started.

Make A Wish has stood up to the animal rights groups to date though and still offers fishing as a viable wish
WHO CARES IF THEY STOOD UP FOR THEM . Some of those anti animal groups have some point . But how ever doesn't make them anti hunting . I find it interesting to know where you find it interesting instead of posting quotes post a website as Ive been looking for the past hour and a bit to find any information that states Jamie's claim of them being anti hunting .
Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

do you know if they have declined any since 2002. i can't find any info about them not makeing hunting wishes on there web site.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
ITs little bit differant , I crack fat jokes all teh time LOOK AT ME IM FAR FROM A SLIM TRIM MAN !!!!!!!!!!! At least im secure in my own skin .
You didnt make the comment, now did you?

The Anvil got very defensive about a member using the term 'slow' in a sentence. If he's going to get really offended by a word like that, he should recognize that he is turning around and doing the EXACT same thing.

My point....if you're going to get really offended by someone saying something then maybe you should watch what you say that might offend others. Plain and simple.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM

yTake it easy John, I don't think I ever said they were anti-hunting. I do think its unfortunate that they chose not not grant hunting related wishes. The timing of the safety policy was very suspect at the time as it was immediately after HSUS and several other liberal anti-hunting organization raised the fuss over the brown bear hunt. I think it was more of a cop out to satisfy the animal-rights groups.

Whether you want to consider them anti hunting or not the fact remains they will not grant hunting related wishes.......

Redneck - if you look at some of the local chapters policies they reference the national policy not to grant hunting related wishes. It does look like several of them are now passing these on to some of the new organizations formed.

BTW I support Make-A-Wish just wish they hadn't bowed to the left!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
You didnt make the comment, now did you?

The Anvil got very defensive about a member using the term 'slow' in a sentence. If he's going to get really offended by a word like that, he should recognize that he is turning around and doing the EXACT same thing.

My point....if you're going to get really offended by someone saying something then maybe you should watch what you say that might offend others. Plain and simple.

Ok.... how did I do the exact same thing... I'm not playing possum here or acting like I am unaware, I just don't see where I did the EXACT same thing?

If you read just a bit further on in the posts I came around.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anvil View Post
Ok.... how did I do the exact same thing... I'm not playing possum here or acting like I am unaware, I just don't see where I did the EXACT same thing?

If you read just a bit further on in the posts I came around.
Ya I see you came around.....and I think thats a good thing cause it was most likely an over-reaction....

My point was only if you're going to take offense to something you should watch closely what you say in future posts, esp in the same thread. Making an 'Oprah" fat joke might seem harmless to you, but so did Jamie posting about people thinking that people were 'slow' in his posting....

Get my drift? By the way....neither bothers me, mainly cause I'm a pretty offensive guy and have to be PC enough at work....
Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
yTake it easy John, I don't think I ever said they were anti-hunting. I do think its unfortunate that they chose not not grant hunting related wishes. The timing of the safety policy was very suspect at the time as it was immediately after HSUS and several other liberal anti-hunting organization raised the fuss over the brown bear hunt. I think it was more of a cop out to satisfy the animal-rights groups.

Whether you want to consider them anti hunting or not the fact remains they will not grant hunting related wishes.......

Redneck - if you look at some of the local chapters policies they reference the national policy not to grant hunting related wishes. It does look like several of them are now passing these on to some of the new organizations formed.

BTW I support Make-A-Wish just wish they hadn't bowed to the left!
Thats fine do be it . They oviously have reason's why they dont want to offer hunts . But im sure if little tommy , or suzie wants that to be there dream they would do there damnedst to get them on to what they wanted . I think its a matter of safety more then the fact of Anti hunting .
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
I think Cleveland will stink it up again this year

Anvil, good on you for donating your time and energy to a worthy cause, hats off to you bro!!!!
Sorry Troller missed your post earlier....

I do my part, I was raised on the belief that if you can, help others that are less fortunate than you. Help others that can't help themselves.

Rumtan is the real hero, he has gone one step above and beyond and actually ran this Derby for 7 years now.

Cheers!

Last edited by The Anvil; 02-20-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I do my part, I was raised on the belief that if you can, help others that are less fortunate than you.
x2
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I do my part, I was raised on the belief that if you can, help others that are less fortunate than you. Help others that can't help themselves.
Cheers!
Great words to live by . I know I was brought up the same way . I know as a kid and our family had a tuff go of things , but we always did what we had to , now that myself am better off as well as my family we all help when we can.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Rumtan is the real hero, he has gone one step above and beyond and actually ran this Derby for 7 years now.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

and i'll be back EVERY YEAR that he holds it whether some people like it or not
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Ya I see you came around.....and I think thats a good thing cause it was most likely an over-reaction....

My point was only if you're going to take offense to something you should watch closely what you say in future posts, esp in the same thread. Making an 'Oprah" fat joke might seem harmless to you, but so did Jamie posting about people thinking that people were 'slow' in his posting....

Get my drift? By the way....neither bothers me, mainly cause I'm a pretty offensive guy and have to be PC enough at work....
See look we just talked about this like men, you make a good point one must be responsible for their actions be it verbal or otherwise, I agree with you.

I did jump off the deep end with out being ready to swim but I realized that it might have been more wise to hold back and see the big picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr

I do my part, I was raised on the belief that if you can, help others that are less fortunate than you.
x2
Glad to hear
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thats fine do be it . They oviously have reason's why they dont want to offer hunts . But im sure if little tommy , or suzie wants that to be there dream they would do there damnedst to get them on to what they wanted . I think its a matter of safety more then the fact of Anti hunting .

I think you are wrong BBJ and I have to agree with MathewsArcher on this one.I don't think it has anything to do with children safety and everything to do with anti hunting pressure that got it shut down.There is a reason that Hunt of a lifetime started up and I believe it is because Make a Wish decided not to grant sick children hunting trips.

I remember seeing a article of one of the last sick kids that had a hunt provided for him by Make A Wish.The anti's pickeded outside his house with all kinds of degrading signs and did everything they could to get the hunt shut down.The kid ended up going on the trip but felt so guilty about what had happened that he ended up passing on all the bulls and not taking an animal on the hunt.The guy that the kid went on the hunt with shot a bull and got it put on a plaque and set to the kids home so he could put it up in his room.If i remember correctly the antlers showed up two days after the young fella passed away.

my 2 cents...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
See look we just talked about this like men, you make a good point one must be responsible for their actions be it verbal or otherwise, I agree with you.

I did jump off the deep end with out being ready to swim but I realized that it might have been more wise to hold back and see the big picture...
Heh.....almost crazy how two grown men can have a serious conversation and not have to argue too much about it eh?

Either way...some really good conversation mixed in this thread.....
Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Guys...after reading this whole thread, it seems to make more sense to me for those of you who are arguing back and forth to just stop and re-direct your energies towards the real villains in this whole story: the groups that threatened to pull funds away from Make-A-Wish in the first place!

That is what is truly wrong here. As stated by that article posted earlier, it is painfully obvious that those anti-hunting groups put their own political agendas above the noble calling of charity work. I find that absolutley deplorable! By doing what they did, they put MAW in a no-win position. Help one kid hunt and lose your funding to help others. As much as I would be angry and hateful to do so, I would have to do the same thing if I were making the decisions for MAW. What other choice do they have? When your whole existence relies on donations, you have to be careful. You don't set up an outhouse next to your water well....know what I mean?

So if you don't like how this whole situation turned out, let your voice be heard and direct it at the people who need to hear it...not at each other.

My two cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Guys...after reading this whole thread, it seems to make more sense to me for those of you who are arguing back and forth to just stop and re-direct your energies towards the real villains in this whole story: the groups that threatened to pull funds away from Make-A-Wish in the first place!

That is what is truly wrong here. As stated by that article posted earlier, it is painfully obvious that those anti-hunting groups put their own political agendas above the noble calling of charity work. I find that absolutley deplorable! By doing what they did, they put MAW in a no-win position. Help one kid hunt and lose your funding to help others. As much as I would be angry and hateful to do so, I would have to do the same thing if I were making the decisions for MAW. What other choice do they have? When your whole existence relies on donations, you have to be careful. You don't set up an outhouse next to your water well....know what I mean?

So if you don't like how this whole situation turned out, let your voice be heard and direct it at the people who need to hear it...not at each other.

My two cents.
good post thats the best idea yet
Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

For all of those that think this came out of left field, I thought I would share where this all came from
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...271#post270271

Jamie
Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
are you frickin blind , are hard of reading .... If a kid wants to go on a hunt then they will arrange something ...... Go read the make a wish website , go look for proof of this acuzation other then make a wish wouldnt grant the hunt for the one person as it wasnt a good business move that doesnt mean there agianst hunting ... Thats stretched from jamie saying so he never once proved any documention proving this ....
So BBJ If I come up with the documentation, will you aggree with my stand?

Jamie
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your right BBJ.. (for some chapters at least) But not on the dollars they raise.

They just pass the situation onto another organisation.

That goes back to what I am saying.. Be carefull on who you invest your $$ with. If it covers all the goals you had in mind.. Then do it.. If not have another think and look around. Thats what I did.

Jamie
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
But come on you guys this is ridiculous
Your right, this is rediculous. Anvil, you see a lot of things that most of us don't as far as people with down syndrome is concerned. Therefore words like "slow" will effect you different than the rest of us. You will also take these words to heart when nothing was meant by it.
For the rest of you you have forgotten that most charities have set budgets to work from. Unfortunately they have to pick and choose which things they can afford to do and which things they can't afford to do. It won't necessarily be because they are biased or anti anything. And sometimes they have to bend to the will of the organizations that support them. That doesn't make them against that particular activity.
Make a wish foundation has put many a smile on kids faces that otherwise wouldn't have anything to look forward too. I know they made my 11 yr old son smile and be happy and that smile took his pain away for a while.
Thread closed.