Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Giant Fish Breaks Through Net!!(Rare Black Pike Catch)

Wow this was an eventful video! Hope you guys enjoy, tight lines!
https://youtu.be/F4pEu41DfLo
Old 06-23-2020, 01:15 PM

I learned a long time ago not to use cheap terminal tackle and small dinky nets. Unfortunately that 7-8lber swam to live another day after breaking through your net and destroying your terminal tackle after that. Imagine what a big fish would have done to that gear.

Consider this as a right of passage all of us fishermen eventually learn over time.

Cool dark color on that pike. Entertaining video. Love seeing crazy things happen to other people that happens to all of us sometimes.

Good news is, you are forced to buy a net now and I bet dollars to doughnuts, it's not one of those.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

neat dark marking on that fish...they sure take on the color of their habitat eh.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I learned a long time ago not to use cheap terminal tackle and small dinky nets. Unfortunately that 7-8lber swam to live another day after breaking through your net and destroying your terminal tackle after that. Imagine what a big fish would have done to that gear.

Consider this as a right of passage all of us fishermen eventually learn over time.

Cool dark color on that pike. Entertaining video. Love seeing crazy things happen to other people that happens to all of us sometimes.

Good news is, you are forced to buy a net now and I bet dollars to doughnuts, it's not one of those.
Haha 40+ inch 7-8lber ehhh, lol on the plus side it wasn't my net or my hook🤣 I believe my net would have held up but eh ya snooze ya lose lol and thanks! Glad you enjoyed the video, tight lines!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
neat dark marking on that fish...they sure take on the color of their habitat eh.
It was definitely a neat looking critter!
Old 06-28-2020, 11:49 AM

I captured the moment for you ...... The nets that aren't rubber - but have the nylon rope (and are just coated are) stronger. Likely a cut or break in the net - this guy went straight through.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I captured the moment for you ...... The nets that aren't rubber - but have the nylon rope (and are just coated are) stronger. Likely a cut or break in the net - this guy went straight through.
Yeah it was my buddies net, it definitely was not in the best shape lol lesson learned never trust your friends net🤣
Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Was out at Wabamun with a friend last yr and hooked into a similar size pike . I say get the net , he pulls out this little freakin trout net with about a 1 foot opening and maybe a foot deep! I said noooo get a real net! Lol it wasn’t meant to be , at least you got yours on tape.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Was out at Wabamun with a friend last yr and hooked into a similar size pike . I say get the net , he pulls out this little freakin trout net with about a 1 foot opening and maybe a foot deep! I said noooo get a real net! Lol it wasn’t meant to be , at least you got yours on tape.
Haha oh no! That's when you wish they would just jump in and bear hug the thing for ya lol
Old 06-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Definitely a cool colored fish. I give her probably 8 lbs. Nice fish.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:54 PM

Everyone's done it .... it's inevitable ...

Lost a big pike right at the boat because of a cheap swivel snap - made me change over to quality, weight rated terminal swivel snaps - haven't had one fail since.

Tried netting another big pike at the boat with a net similar to the one in the video - it was my son (who was 13 or so) and I in the boat, so it was already a circus - a net that size can only get the front half of a big pike in there and he flops out - trust me - had to try 3 times before I finally had to abandon the net and grab him. Never forgot my bigger net at home again !!!! It was my kids largest - a Wabamun 19 lber and 38".

Was out at Pierce lake, with a couple friends, normally a big Laker in there is 13-14lbs - certainly smaller compared to Cold Lake next door. One of the guys hooks a really big Laker .... and in his excitement as a newer fisherman, is dipping the rod, peering over the side, reeling when he shouldn't be, etc.. etc... - when you are that excited, It doesn't matter what the net man (me) is trying to tell you ..... after the "incident" he said he didn't hear a word I said ..... lol ........... the Laker was, in my fair and conservative estimate around 30lbs. He sawm away after the guy dipped his rod and Laker took the line right to the motor, got tangled and that was it.

I would have loved to catch these on video - stuff like that still makes for great memories and some good laughs for us as we reminisce over circus antics.

And every time we learn from it.

That's why this video was great - we have been there and done that - no matter how "pro star" we think we are - things like still happen.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollenberger View Post
Definitely a cool colored fish. I give her probably 8 lbs. Nice fish.
Yeah I gave the one at the end around 7-8lbs, and thanks!
Old 06-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Everyone's done it .... it's inevitable ...

Lost a big pike right at the boat because of a cheap swivel snap - made me change over to quality, weight rated terminal swivel snaps - haven't had one fail since.

Tried netting another big pike at the boat with a net similar to the one in the video - it was my son (who was 13 or so) and I in the boat, so it was already a circus - a net that size can only get the front half of a big pike in there and he flops out - trust me - had to try 3 times before I finally had to abandon the net and grab him. Never forgot my bigger net at home again !!!! It was my kids largest - a Wabamun 19 lber and 38".

Was out at Pierce lake, with a couple friends, normally a big Laker in there is 13-14lbs - certainly smaller compared to Cold Lake next door. One of the guys hooks a really big Laker .... and in his excitement as a newer fisherman, is dipping the rod, peering over the side, reeling when he shouldn't be, etc.. etc... - when you are that excited, It doesn't matter what the net man (me) is trying to tell you ..... after the "incident" he said he didn't hear a word I said ..... lol ........... the Laker was, in my fair and conservative estimate around 30lbs. He sawm away after the guy dipped his rod and Laker took the line right to the motor, got tangled and that was it.

I would have loved to catch these on video - stuff like that still makes for great memories and some good laughs for us as we reminisce over circus antics.

And every time we learn from it.

That's why this video was great - we have been there and done that - no matter how "pro star" we think we are - things like still happen.
The ones that got away! Lol the lake trout would hurt! This was my friends net lol I actually had the same thing to another friends net when they scooped up a big bully for me, it broke through but somehow we got it lol it's always others nets and not mine it seems like!