Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 06:35 PM

Default Trap or sporting Shotgun question

My uncle is looking for a shotgun, possibly 2. He joined a gun club and is looking for something to shoot trap and clays with. Break action over under is what he told me. Other than “look at Benelli, Beretta and Browning” what should a guy look for in a good sporting shotgun? I’ve got a pump I love for goose/duck hunting but the clays and trap world is not what I’m familiar with. Also possibly looking for something similar but for his wife. My uncles a decent size guy, aunt is average female size. Just looking for suggestions and any wisdom from those more experienced with this realm of shooting. Probably looking for mid to high quality. Not like a “money is no option” purchase but looking for quality for sure.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2024, 07:05 PM

Browning citori.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:08 PM

Go to places that rent guns like Blackmore’s and try a few models out and see which ones fit them.

Thinking one size fits all is a foolish endeavour, in order to get good at the clay target games you need a shotgun that fits YOU.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-19-2024, 07:28 PM

Your location is Aidrie, so have him go to Silver Willow, Don or Josh can help him find what fits him, and what is suitable for what he is going to shoot. A gun that is ideal for trap, won't be ideal for sporting clays, so if he wants to shoot both, with one gun, he will have to compromise. FYI, Browning and Beretta are pretty much the opposite fit wise, but an adjustable comb provides much more flexibility. All of the same will apply to his wife. And mid to high quality for clays guns, will start at around $3500 or so, for something like a Citori CX, and go to well
beyond $15000, for a Krieghoff or a Perazzi, with Blaser
and CG in between.
And Silver Willow also has instructors available, to get them off to a good start.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-19-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Your location is Aidrie, so have him go to Silver Willow, Don or Josh can help him find what fits him, and what is suitable for what he is going to shoot. A gun that is ideal for trap, won't be ideal for sporting clays, so if he wants to shoot both, with one gun, he will have to compromise. FYI, Browning and Beretta are pretty much the opposite fit wise, but an adjustable comb provides much more flexibility. All of the same will apply to his wife. And mid to high quality for clays guns, will start at around $3500 or so, for something like a Citori CX, and go to well beyond $15000, for a Kreighoff or a Parazzi, with Blaser and CG in between.
Silver Willow has a lot of options for rentals to let them get a feel for different guns. They also has some lady specific gun and a lady learn to shoot coming up that might help your aunt get familiar with a instructor