Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default Tiger Trout Update

Just a little info. about the Tiger Trout stocking proposal. On Tue. March 3rd Woodlands region biologist Stephen Spencer was at the Edm. Trout clubs monthly meeting, and besides giving an update on other subjects (eg. wab. walleye program, winterkills at lac la nonne and salter) he talked about the very good chance that Spring lake could be one of the lakes that would be stocked with perhaps 2000 Tiger Trout. Club members also agreed that it should be catch and release only to see how they mature and overwinter.
I, for one, hope this happens.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM

I wonder if there is not some sort of on line petition of some sort that could be started to hopefully get the govt. to make sure they are catch and release just the same as Bull trout.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I wonder if there is not some sort of on line petition of some sort that could be started to hopefully get the govt. to make sure they are catch and release just the same as Bull trout.
2015 regs are already out so not sure how they are going to handle it if they even do stock them this year. I doubt they will make them strictly catch and release as they are not a protected species. Hopefully they put a size limit on them giving them a chance to grow though.

I am interested to know what was mentioned about the Wab walleye program. What is the point of this walleye stocking in Wab are they actually thinking about opening it one of these days? Pretty easy to go out there and catch 40-50 walleye in a day now, pretty small but sure are a lot of them.

Also did they have any info on the winterkill at salters? That was a very weird situation already having dead fish in December even though the lake is aerated. Any idea what caused it out there?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Rav's questions
... All he said about wab. is that the program worked well and it looks like they are self sustaining. No further stocking for now.
... Salters is a mystery, and they are still doing research and tests to try to figure out what happened. Personally I don't think they will ever really figure it out. Hope new stocks do well in the future.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Salters must have been a disease or poisoning or something. I just don't see how it could have been lack of oxygen.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
2015 regs are already out so not sure how they are going to handle it if they even do stock them this year. I doubt they will make them strictly catch and release as they are not a protected species. Hopefully they put a size limit on them giving them a chance to grow though.

I am interested to know what was mentioned about the Wab walleye program. What is the point of this walleye stocking in Wab are they actually thinking about opening it one of these days? Pretty easy to go out there and catch 40-50 walleye in a day now, pretty small but sure are a lot of them.

Also did they have any info on the winterkill at salters? That was a very weird situation already having dead fish in December even though the lake is aerated. Any idea what caused it out there?
They are probably going to use the eyes from Wab to restock Lake Isle. I don't think Wab will open for 10 years or more for keeping. I wish they would start srocking Perch in some lakes again. Don't know why they ever stoped ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Why restock Isle if it winterkills so commonly now? If they are going to stock anything in there it should be trout at least then it wouldn't be such a waste.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM

What rav yak said
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Banned

Tigers would have to fall under the general trout retention limits at the lake the get stocked into with the regs out already. Be a waste to put them anywhre with more than a limit of 1 or no size restrictions.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 PM

Default Tiger trout

Wow I never heard of tiger trout,are they native to Canada?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Wow I never heard of tiger trout,are they native to Canada?
Tiger Trout are not a natural species (although it does occasionally happen in nature). They are a Brook/Brown sterile hybrid cross. Quite a stunning looking fish. If I remember it right fertilizing brown trout eggs with brook trout sperm and heat shocking them. It creates an extra set of chromosomes and helps the survival of the tiger trout offspring.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations