Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Coyote Footholds

Well coyotes sold well in the first auction. I'm still building my trapping arsenal and I plan on reinvesting most profit.

I'm thinking I will purchase a couple dozen footholds. The canadian modified bridger number 3 is an obvious choice but I was wondering what you guys considered to be the best choice for trapping in snow conditions?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 PM

4 coil whatever you decide
Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 PM

Marty had some bridger #3 dogless he just got in when I was there on saturday looked like a nice trap but im pretty new to this stuff so dont take my word for it
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 PM

The Americans seem to love those MB 650's. I think these meet our current regulations (I will double check before purchasing or setting). I don't want to be left holding traps that don't meet the Aihts agreement when that comes into effect which the MB's currently do not meet. I'm not sure if they have been tested and failed or if they have any plans of testing them.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 AM

pretty hard to beat the bridger #3. wish i would of went dogless,right from the start. save having to change them over.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 AM
AO Sponsor

You can buy the MB650 all you want knowing that even if it does not pass in Canada, there would be many buyers for a used MB south of the border. I would suggest the cast jaw model.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 AM

I used to use heavily modified duke #3 offsets, 4 coil, laminated, and switched to the bridgers and mb650's after having a couple of big yotes destroy them, one tore out a jaw, the other bent the frame but didn't pull out. The modified Bridgers are certified but not yet mandatory, and I have talked to a couple officers and they have no problems with the MB650 laminated and I have never had a coyote pull out or damage one. The bridgers (paws i trip or dogless) and the mb's I find are faster and the springs and steel last longer, albeit at a higher initial cost. I find that the mb-650 beds very easily as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning towards the 650c but I may buy a few different brands to try. I'm not in a rush to buy these traps so if anyone has anything to add, please do so.

The sleepy creek long springs have also caught my eye. These would need to be modified.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You can buy the MB650 all you want knowing that even if it does not pass in Canada, there would be many buyers for a used MB south of the border. I would suggest the cast jaw model.
This is only my second season trapping and I guess I fit the bill because I use the mb550s. Since they are all I own I can't comment on other traps but I will say I've not had any coyotes escape. Now have any of the animals I've caught with them been injured by the trap in any way. Good luck
Old 02-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Newbie leghold Q's do you guys put chain extensions on?? if not what do you use to attach chain to tree?? txs guys.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:53 PM

where is a good source to purchase traps?? here in canada or order from states?? is there a savings?/txs
Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE-1 View Post
Newbie leghold Q's do you guys put chain extensions on?? if not what do you use to attach chain to tree?? txs guys.
My newbie intention was to use stakes. I'm leaning towards cable stakes.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
My newbie intention was to use stakes. I'm leaning towards cable stakes.
they will go far enough into frozen ground??
Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
loop chain around the tree maybe 6 ft of extra chain with another swivel??
Old 02-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
they will go far enough into frozen ground??
I'm not sure. I've seen reports of wolf fangs working with a foot of frost but I haven't used them. I think, with the right conditions I could work with drags as well.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
loop chain around the tree maybe 6 ft of extra chain with another swivel??
Seems like a lot of chain? They could get a pretty good run at it with twelve feet.

Not to dismiss this forum but there is wealth of info at your fingertips in the archives at trapperman. I haven't used coyote footholds.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 PM

I am not a foothold expert by no means but you'd need a lot of springs on that 6' chain. You'd want it like pulling on a bungee cord.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
where is a good source to purchase traps?? here in canada or order from states?? is there a savings?/txs

being your from SK. support the locals. at the very least, canadains. if you can.

www.dambeaver.ca

and you'll get alot better info talking to them, than you'll get on this forum(any forum).

every once in a while, you'll see a nugget of good info on theses forums. but not very often. Tman is the best for foot trap info.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
being your from SK. support the locals. at the very least, canadains. if you can.

www.dambeaver.ca

and you'll get alot better info talking to them, than you'll get on this forum(any forum).

every once in a while, you'll see a nugget of good info on theses forums. but not very often. Tman is the best for foot trap info.
10-4 txs for your help.. cor.