Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 AM

Post Gearing up for Northern AB Pike & Walleye

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum (made my account specifically to ask these questions), and I'm looking for some insight on what to fill my tacklebox with in hopes of catching Pike & Walleye in Central/Northern AB. I have taken a glance at some of the older threads regarding this same topic but I am curious what has changed in the 5-10 years since most of those threads were generated. I have caught tons of small pike in my few years of fishing but have never seen a fish above 70". I am curious what leaders have been successful for you guys well as what rod/reel setup I should run for each species. I am looking at purchasing 2 seperate rigs (possibly a spinning reel for walleye and a baitcaster for pike?). Any insight is appreciated.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:24 AM

My bait caster is around 7 foot Medium Heavy with 20 pound line.
Pick up huge spoons and baits for the pike. You could try the newer rapala otuse, rapala petos and rapala predator baits if you want to chuck something big. I would look into bondy baits as well if you're looking for big pike.

As for walleye I use medium light or medium spinning reel. Jig's and minnows, rattle baits, jigging raps. original floaters, shad raps, scatter baits.

All the lures and baits will vary depending if you're chucking them or trolling ect.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasekee View Post
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum (made my account specifically to ask these questions), and I'm looking for some insight on what to fill my tacklebox with in hopes of catching Pike & Walleye in Central/Northern AB. I have taken a glance at some of the older threads regarding this same topic but I am curious what has changed in the 5-10 years since most of those threads were generated. I have caught tons of small pike in my few years of fishing but have never seen a fish above 70". I am curious what leaders have been successful for you guys well as what rod/reel setup I should run for each species. I am looking at purchasing 2 seperate rigs (possibly a spinning reel for walleye and a baitcaster for pike?). Any insight is appreciated.
Neither has anyone else

In all seriousness, the above reply covers most of the basics. I would definitely recommend going with separate rods. You can catch pike and walleye on the same rod, but it's so much more convenient to have multiple rods for different situations.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
My bait caster is around 7 foot Medium Heavy with 20 pound line.
Pick up huge spoons and baits for the pike. You could try the newer rapala otuse, rapala petos and rapala predator baits if you want to chuck something big. I would look into bondy baits as well if you're looking for big pike.

As for walleye I use medium light or medium spinning reel. Jig's and minnows, rattle baits, jigging raps. original floaters, shad raps, scatter baits.

All the lures and baits will vary depending if you're chucking them or trolling ect.
Pretty good advice ^^^
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM

Default 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Neither has anyone else

In all seriousness, the above reply covers most of the basics. I would definitely recommend going with separate rods. You can catch pike and walleye on the same rod, but it's so much more convenient to have multiple rods for different situations.
72.5 dude
you dont always need huge gear for big pike, sometimes they would rather eat a little minnow. remember the big ones are all female so they are all going to be in different moods

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM

As a guide I'm jaded. Larger spoons like doctors,5 of diamonds, daredevils etc seem to be working well again. Medium size to even smaller crank baits trolled easy. As for rods I keep 8'6 inch heavy and medium heavy rods with low profile Okuma reels. It's all a bit heavy but for guests I need it closer to "fool" proof. Walleyes just down size a bit.
Water has to have a good prey base. It also needs a bit of size for large pike. Know where the prey is and you know where the pike are, water temp is very important. Genetics are in play as well.
Other than spring and again late fall I think people fish too shallow for big pike. I have caught many down to 45', I'd say I average 15' ? but each lake and temp is different.
Having started in the remote camps in "69" I have not seen any 70 or even 60 inch pike personally. My clients have boated quite a few just over 50" ,barely, from northwestern Ontario and northern Manitoba mostly. I think many that size are out there we are getting smarter at finding them then releasing them. Most of my people have been tickled with any pike 44" or better.
Lastly, I like a lake with whitefish or ciscoes for prey base. Very rich oily fish which I believe process quickly thru predator stomach systems giving great nutrition and keeping them hungry versus chomping on a 3lb walleye and slowly digesting that. Just my opinion. Good luck! I will be in northern and north of Alberta a bit this year, maybe our lines will cross.

Osky
Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
72.5 dude
you dont always need huge gear for big pike, sometimes they would rather eat a little minnow. remember the big ones are all female so they are all going to be in different moods
Did it have teeth and a face that looks like a duck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
As a guide I'm jaded. Larger spoons like doctors,5 of diamonds, daredevils etc seem to be working well again. Medium size to even smaller crank baits trolled easy. As for rods I keep 8'6 inch heavy and medium heavy rods with low profile Okuma reels. It's all a bit heavy but for guests I need it closer to "fool" proof. Walleyes just down size a bit.
Water has to have a good prey base. It also needs a bit of size for large pike. Know where the prey is and you know where the pike are, water temp is very important. Genetics are in play as well.
Other than spring and again late fall I think people fish too shallow for big pike. I have caught many down to 45', I'd say I average 15' ? but each lake and temp is different.
Having started in the remote camps in "69" I have not seen any 70 or even 60 inch pike personally. My clients have boated quite a few just over 50" ,barely, from northwestern Ontario and northern Manitoba mostly. I think many that size are out there we are getting smarter at finding them then releasing them. Most of my people have been tickled with any pike 44" or better.
Lastly, I like a lake with whitefish or ciscoes for prey base. Very rich oily fish which I believe process quickly thru predator stomach systems giving great nutrition and keeping them hungry versus chomping on a 3lb walleye and slowly digesting that. Just my opinion. Good luck! I will be in northern and north of Alberta a bit this year, maybe our lines will cross.

Osky
Those are some good tips. I bet you have some pretty interesting stories with your guiding history.

I have a very difficult time believing in a 60in pike, never mind 70in. The current world record musky is 60in, and 50+in pike are quite rare. Finding a pike that hits 60in is more than likely to be a one of a kind fish. Add nearly a foot to that and we're getting into sasquatch territory.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 PM

When it comes to lures it’s a lot of personal preference and individual fishing styles. For pike I like a variety of crankbaits, soft swimbaits, and Spinnerbaits for my go to styles of lure. I like big baits but will down size to as small as 4 inch at times. White, chartreuse, green, yellow, gold, silver, and black are go to colours for me

Walleye have never been a big target for me so not going to bother making suggestions other then they eat minnows lol

Rods and reels are a preference or matched to your style of fishing. Beyond that it’s like the great truck debates
Old 01-14-2020, 12:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

medium action 7' rod with a good quality spin casting reel and 20lbs fireline crystal....set up two identical rods in case something goes wrong but I have used this set up for walleye, lakers, pike and many salt water species with no issues.

Jigs and spoons....Len Thompson #2...red and white and 5 o diamonds.....go to Len Thompson website to see their line up....dimple series are nice too...eyes like minnows on a jig head too....good luck eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:08 PM

Most of my rods r 6’6” to 7’6” all with 15 LB power pro and 15 lbs flourelcarbon leaders
Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Looking back at this I wandered a bit with my answer above.
Specifically the guys here have nailed it. For personal use if I put good money into one outfit do all it would be a 7’6 medium or even medium heavy spinning outfit. That will do well on walleyes, pike, and lakers. It would be a 2 piece rod. A good spinning reel of appropriate size, the drag system would be my biggest concern. Last summer I was sent a new Revo spinning reel to try out, very impressive for sure but spendy.
I have gone to all St. Croix rods, and still use some older shimano reels I like. St. Croix will replace broken rod halves really cheap if needed, be sure and keep record of the serial # on your rod.
One caution.... rods you buy have a line rating printed on them, the higher number is what your rod can handle as far as breakage. If you use line with a higher breaking point than the rod can handle you may break it. Make sure if you go stronger and get your line hung up the drag is set to release and don’t force things. I learned the hard way. Twice.

Osky
Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 PM

Haha sorry guys, definitely meant 70cm not 70" lol. How do you guys feel about the abu Garcia Revo X? Anybody (else ^) have firsthand experience with either the spinner or the baitcaster?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:08 PM

I have the revo sx10 and sx20 spinning reels. The drag system seems to kick in unfelt and off the same. Super smooth. No frills flip front bail. Front drag control which I have always preferred. They are light which I believe attributes a lot of the cost.
Both were used a lot, by myself and clients last year on lakes and a few tough rivers, they performed flawlessly. The 10 was tied into some good heavy tough slugging lakers and did way better than I thought it would. Walleyes were no real test.
I obviously can’t speak to how long they will last, yet, but with turning the drags open during long storage (old habit) and opening them up to clean and re grease every couple years we’ll see. Clients can be rough so there is that. Barring any unfound weakness I think the reels will outlive me.

Osky

Tags
leaders, pike fishing, rod and reel, walleye fishing