Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Selling a non restricted in the new year

Has anyone sold a gun in the new year? The rcmp web site states seller must verify buyers pal by calling a hot line . My question is do they ask for a serial number and or a description of item ? Thankd
Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM

They will ask for the Name, PAL number including all numbers after the decimal point, and the expiry date. They will then tell you if the PAL is valid or not.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
They will ask for the Name, PAL number including all numbers after the decimal point, and the expiry date. They will then tell you if the PAL is valid or not.
RCMP will only ask for information on the pal and nothing regarding the firearm?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
RCMP will only ask for information on the pal and nothing regarding the firearm?
Non restricted no need to ask , it is about the buyer not the firearm.
Cat
Old 01-15-2020, 10:26 PM

At the moment I can't find any changes about this in firearms act or regulations. Anyone else find this requirement listed for non-restricted?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 PM

Telephone
Non-restricted
You do not need to register non-restricted firearms. That means you can transfer a non-restricted firearm without contacting the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). However, the transferor (seller, giver) must make sure that the transferee (buyer, recipient) has a valid PAL. Call the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 to confirm the validity of the transferee's licence before you transfer the firearm

I copied this from the rcmp web page ! Cheers
Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Non restricted no need to ask , it is about the buyer not the firearm.
Cat
Is this personal experience ? Cheers
Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 AM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearm...rring-firearms
Old 01-16-2020, 02:54 AM

I'd have to double check, but, as far as I have seen yet, the OIC's related to non-restricted transfers have not been published yet, and unless they did it this wk, the RCMP is jumping the gun on stating this, again. I believe at this point we still are not actually required to call for the transfer nbr for non-restricted, that they will be issuing once the OIC's are put thru. They would be published in the Gazette if they have been put thru. May not be long though.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Is this personal experience ? Cheers
As of last year that is ALL you had to do
We are talking about NON RESTRICTED firearms here not restricted firearms so there is no reason to give the RCMP ANY info on the gun, you are checking to see if a buyer had a valid PAL that is all .
Answer me this - Why would you need to if the gun does not have to be registered because it is non restricted ?
Cat
Old 01-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As of last year that is ALL you had to do
We are talking about NON RESTRICTED firearms here not restricted firearms so there is no reason to give the RCMP ANY info on the gun, you are checking to see if a buyer had a valid PAL that is all .
Answer me this - Why would you need to if the gun does not have to be registered because it is non restricted ?
Cat
I feel there is an opportunity for a backdoor registry now. Computer storage is cheap now. Rcmp could start their own registry . Just ask for serial number at the same time as pal number and they got their registry without us knowing . Was hoping some one had sold in the new year as it has now changed . Cheers
Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I'd have to double check, but, as far as I have seen yet, the OIC's related to non-restricted transfers have not been published yet, and unless they did it this wk, the RCMP is jumping the gun on stating this, again. I believe at this point we still are not actually required to call for the transfer nbr for non-restricted, that they will be issuing once the OIC's are put thru. They would be published in the Gazette if they have been put thru. May not be long though.
It is worded "must call " so that means required
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
It is worded "must call " so that means required
I dont believe it says “must Call” it says “Must verify they have a valid License”.
So seeing a picture of it, looking at it yourself are 2 ways.
I dont believe the wording has changed on that, always had to ensure they had a valid license.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I dont believe it says “must Call” it says “Must verify they have a valid License”.
So seeing a picture of it, looking at it yourself are 2 ways.
I dont believe the wording has changed on that, always had to ensure they had a valid license.
I think this is called literary license . Once again has any one gone through the process in the new year .
Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM

It does not say "must call" anywhere, it flat out says you DO NOT need to call the CFP to transfer a non restricted.

You do not need to register non-restricted firearms. That means you can transfer a non-restricted firearm without contacting the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). However, the transferor (seller, giver) must make sure that the transferee (buyer, recipient) has a valid PAL. Call the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 to confirm the validity of the transferee's licence before you transfer the firearm.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
It does not say "must call" anywhere, it flat out says you DO NOT need to call the CFP to transfer a non restricted.

You do not need to register non-restricted firearms. That means you can transfer a non-restricted firearm without contacting the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). However, the transferor (seller, giver) must make sure that the transferee (buyer, recipient) has a valid PAL. Call the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 to confirm the validity of the transferee's licence before you transfer the firearm.
You are right, I didn't take the time to look at the RCMP website to confirm what the OP was talking about, I just went straight to reviewing changes in the firearms act...

this whole thread is bogus then... at the moment, nothing has changed.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:

You can read that which ever way you like. The intent of the new law is for the court to have the ability to cancel a licence at any time. Previously the court would cancel a licence and if the holder is able to keep the card (hide) the holder could keep buying guns n ammo . This was meant to change that . If it's ok with you folks I would still like to know from someone what the process is actually like . First hand .Cheers

Last edited by expedition; 01-16-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You can read that which ever way you like. The intent of the new law is for the court to have the ability to cancel a licence at any time. Previously the court would cancel a licence and if the holder is able to keep the card (hide) the holder could keep buying guns n ammo . This was meant to change that . If it's ok with you folks I would still like to know from someone what the process is actually like . First hand .Cheers
If I were to buy or sell a non restricted firearm today I would not call the CFP and that would therefore not answer your question. I suppose it would clear things up if someone did. I would be pretty surprised if the CFP asked for a serial number (non restricted) and your theory is true but you never know
Old 01-16-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Non-Restricted transfer.

Quote:

This was worded the same way last fall so there has been no change in the New Year that I can see. I had need to verify a Buyer's PAL last fall and just called CFP and provided the Buyer's PAL number and name and address. They never asked my name or what he was buying, just confirmed his PAL was valid.

Phil
Closed Thread