Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Default Is a Sako 85 that much better than a Tikka T3X?

So I'm in a position where I can afford the Sako at more than twice the price, but what makes it worth the money? I'm looking at a hunter model in either, chambered in 7mm rem mag. I've owned and do own Tikka rifles that are smooth and ridiculously accurate. I've never owned a Sako.

School on the pros and cons of each. What would you do?

Colin
Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Banned

I would stick with Tikka due to that fact it's more customizable (i.e more aftermarket parts).

Sky is the limit on what you want to do with those tikkas.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 PM

Sako 85 gives you a better stock , better recoil lug, and no plastic magazine, but you lose the drilled and tapped receiver, which limits your scope mounting options. I would rather buy a T-3, and install an even better stock, and if you like, a metal magazine.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Default Both are good but...

I own both T3X and a Sako 85.
Although functional, I can't live with the plastic bottom metal and magazine on the T3X.
My solution was buying a Tikka CTR mag, stock and bottom metal which cost $250 from a fellow that was upgrading his CTR to a chassis system. Now the T3X is all metal and has a 10 shot double stack mag that is no longer than the 5 shot Tikka plastic magazine. I removed the interchangeable pistol grip from the sporter rifle and installed on the CTR stock. All good now and still cost far less than a Sako 85. Of course this CTR upgrade will only work for SA cartridges.

The Sako has a better fit and finish than the T3X but I don't shoot it any better. If you're going long action and handload or if you intend to handload I would go Sako. If you're buying a SA cartridge, Tikka should be fine.
Remember Sako has five action sizes and they give you plenty of room for longer cartridges but Tikka is one size fits all with minimal magazine length.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Depends on what your looking for. If you wouldn’t ever change a part on a rifle not even a stock then the sako may be better if you want to swap a barrel and do a full custom job the tikka may be better. If you like the safety features on one receiver over the other go for that. For the cost of a sako I know you can build a rifle how you want it with decent parts.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:18 PM

I don't see the 85 giving you the value when you can upgrade the Tikka to the level of the 85 for less. I like the old L61R's, 579's and A series Sakos myself.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:23 PM

Not what your asking but I would look elsewhere in that price range Like the CA Mesa.

If you want to go walnut stock the 85 Bavarian is a real beauty. You could buy with confidence and be happy knowing you can't do a lot better in factory configurations.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 PM

Default Here's your huckleberry

If you got the $ here is your gun...

https://store.prophetriver.com/sako-...1a-s-n-p10450/

Beautiful
Old 01-06-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you got the $ here is your gun...

https://store.prophetriver.com/sako-...1a-s-n-p10450/

Beautiful
Lovely rifle. I should also mention that I'm correct handed. Also, I don't really want to make too many modifications to this particular rifle. Likely I'll bed it and that will be the end of it.

Colin
Old 01-07-2020, 01:19 AM

If you want one rifle that shoots great straight out of the box, needs no upgrading, and you can keep for the rest of your life, buy the Sako. You said you can easily afford the price difference, a guy never went wrong buying top quality gear. Tikkas are excellent guns for the price, but even fully upgraded the Sako is a nicer hunting rifle. Go handle the two side by side and I think you will easily see what I mean.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Own both

I have both. The sako 85 is superior in every aspect. You will not regret buying an 85. It is a firearm you hand down the generations.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 01-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you want one rifle that shoots great straight out of the box, needs no upgrading, and you can keep for the rest of your life, buy the Sako. You said you can easily afford the price difference, a guy never went wrong buying top quality gear. Tikkas are excellent guns for the price, but even fully upgraded the Sako is a nicer hunting rifle. Go handle the two side by side and I think you will easily see what I mean.
I reluctantly disagree with every word you said and only because I shot a handful of sako’s. I wouldn’t waste my money. Feels like your shooting a 2x4. I’m bowing out because I honestly don’t have one good thing to say about there stocks. Good luck finding your rifle.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 AM

I've owned both I shoot a Sako 85 now 270 win lh Walnut stock beautiful gun

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM

I’ve owned a few sako 85’s and tikka’s. The sako finishing is much nicer and the overall aesthetics are better on the sako. I think they shoot the same out of the box. Both stocks aren’t the greatest when you’re talking about the synthetics and an aftermarket LW stock would be a great addition to both. I’ve done that as well with sako’s and tikkas.

Another option is the Sako A7 if you want a slightly nicer looking rifle than the tikka but don’t have the money for a 85. Just not sure what’s out there to upgrade the stock if you so decide.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I’ve owned a few sako 85’s and tikka’s. The sako finishing is much nicer and the overall aesthetics are better on the sako. I think they shoot the same out of the box. Both stocks aren’t the greatest when you’re talking about the synthetics and an aftermarket LW stock would be a great addition to both. I’ve done that as well with sako’s and tikkas.

Another option is the Sako A7 if you want a slightly nicer looking rifle than the tikka but don’t have the money for a 85. Just not sure what’s out there to upgrade the stock if you so decide.
What is with the spelling in this post I see a few posts like this with all these strange numbers is it just someone spelling wrong or what

Old 01-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Harv's original post looks normal on my Mac but your quote of his post has your 'strange numbers.'

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM

^ Same, except I am on my phone (iPhone).
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM

There a lot of models in the 85 I wouldn't touch because I tried them and sold them,that hunter SNS2 posted is a vey nice rifle.

Like any series of rifles not all are great, the tikka 3 or t3x for the price you can't go wrong ,every one I shot did so very well.I have 223 ,22 250,2506,6,5 swede all in the tikka and they shot lights out.OR like our friend Don Parsons use to say the bollizts hit there spot,hope he comes back around.Don I hope all is well.

I would take the finnlight in a 270 all day long before the hunter,weight being number one, the wood stalk I would just avoid because I had one and I wasn't a big fan of the checkering that's compressed on .

JD

Last edited by JD848; 01-07-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Banned

I have a 300 wsm in 85 finnlight best rifle I’ve ever had fast handling accurate and no recoil.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What is with the spelling in this post I see a few posts like this with all these strange numbers is it just someone spelling wrong or what

Not sure what's going on there...typed on a MacBook
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Shows up fine for me. Don't look like the quote u posted.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:40 AM

I'll be looking at them in a few days. I'll let y'all know what I decide. Thanks for the input.

Colin
Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 PM

I love the Sako 85s. The Tikka is nowhere near in the same category of quality, but they do have good barrels and tend to have reasonably consistent accuracy.

My first Sako was a Finnlight 270WSM my wife bought as an anniversary present. It has become my main rifle. I have since acquired several other 85s in different configurations and cartridges. A couple of my other favs for hunting are a full stock Bavarian carbine in 30-06 and a Finnlight 2 in 300WinMag. All of my rifles have amazingly consistent accuracy with anything off the shelf. Aside from my own rifles I have assembled many others for friends and colleagues. All had the same 1MOA or better accuracy. None of them had extractor issues mentioned in other threads.

I plan on acquiring three more Sako rifles; Varmint in 223, TRG 22 in 308, and another Finnlight in 270Win.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 PM

I would buy a used sako.
Or a used tikka.
Then if something else strikes your fancy, sell the rifle for what you paid for it!

The mannlicher stocked sako Bavarian is about the nicest current production rifle I've held.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Banned

I’ve had a few of each. If I were to do it I’d buy a Tikka and put it in a Wildcat stock if you want it as a hunting tool. I’ve not been overly impressed with the Sako 85’s as far as accuracy is concerned. They aren’t horrible, but they aren’t special either, not worth the premium imo.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’ve had a few of each. If I were to do it I’d buy a Tikka and put it in a Wildcat stock if you want it as a hunting tool. I’ve not been overly impressed with the Sako 85’s as far as accuracy is concerned. They aren’t horrible, but they aren’t special either, not worth the premium imo.
I'm with you except I also like factory Tikka plastic stocks. Two Sakos that I still have I change recoil lug to custom one piece which improved accuracy. BS with ejection issues in another story.
Vic
Old 01-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b View Post
Not what your asking but I would look elsewhere in that price range Like the CA Mesa.

If you want to go walnut stock the 85 Bavarian is a real beauty. You could buy with confidence and be happy knowing you can't do a lot better in factory configurations.
I’ll second this, since you are considering a T3 you are thinking about using it as a hunting tool, and as a hunting tool the Mesa has everything you need.

Sakos are heirlooms valued by nostalgic old guys. Very pretty, well made, hold value...but the world has moved beyond wood and blued steel.

Personally I view guns as tools to be used in the bush and mountains so I buy accordingly. Will never own another rifle with plastic (polymer, composite, whatever) bottom. Had one break in the middle of November, not impressed.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 AM

Comparing a Tikka to a Sako is like comparing a Vanguard to a Mark V - the Tikka and Vanguard will shoot as accurately, and are every bit as effective "as a tool" however, the fit, finish, and smoothness of cycling is what you might be paying for.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:44 AM

I have a Sako 85 Bavarian, lovely gun. Reliable, accurate and outstanding fit & finish.

My brother in law had a T3. It was accurate but didn't have the fit & finish or reliability of a Sako. I was with him on 2 separate occasions where his gun misfired (once on a nice 6x). This may have been a lemon, but he must have taken it into the gunsmith 5 or 6 times and they couldn't figure it out. The magazine on the T3 also had a tendency to fall out of the stock.

He now also owns a Sako.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Update

He y'all. So I had a chance to handle both. The Sako is a dang fine rifle. I really liked it. But the stock really didn't fit me that well. I couldn't put my finger on why. Because I was looking at a 7mm rm, both action lengths are the same, and barrel lengths are near identical. The tikka definitely fit me better and surprisingly the action seemed smoother on the tikka - probably the fixed extractor on the Sako action.

The tikka almost came.home with me, then I asked myself the question: why do I need this rifle? Then I saw a Benelli M4 sitting on the shelf... I've wanted one for many a year now.

Long story short, the Benelli followed me home. Thanks for all the input. When I do get around to "needing" that rifle, it's probably going to be the Tikka.

Colin