Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM

Default CIL Imperial 30-30 Sabre Tips

My Dad gave 3 boxes of the above ammo (2 boxes of 170gr and 1 box of 150gr). The 150s have blue plastic tips and the 170s have yellow plastic tips. The boxes are full and dated 1969. Thinking about trying them out on deer from my Treestand next season with his old single shot 30-30. Anybody used these back in the day? Thinking they should still be good to go and do the job.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:29 PM

Yup, they will kill.

Basically a KKSP (staked jacket to core)bullet with a nylon insert.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar176 View Post
My Dad gave 3 boxes of the above ammo (2 boxes of 170gr and 1 box of 150gr). The 150s have blue plastic tips and the 170s have yellow plastic tips. The boxes are full and dated 1969. Thinking about trying them out on deer from my Treestand next season with his old single shot 30-30. Anybody used these back in the day? Thinking they should still be good to go and do the job.
I wouldn't use them on anything important. When i was a kid I used imperial and also Dominion. I'm remembering the odd misfire or dudd.
That was before I got into reloading,factory ammo was pretty expensive for me.
When I was a kid you were not supposed to waste bullets so a box of 30/30 shells was theoretically 20 deer so those shells tended to see a lot of hot and cold heat cycles before they got used up over the years.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I wouldn't use them on anything important. When i was a kid I used imperial and also Dominion. I'm remembering the odd misfire or dudd.
That was before I got into reloading,factory ammo was pretty expensive for me.
When I was a kid you were not supposed to waste bullets so a box of 30/30 shells was theoretically 20 deer so those shells tended to see a lot of hot and cold heat cycles before they got used up over the years.
That was not the ammo's fault, but the way it was cared for!
II have shot A LOT of C.I.L. bullets from rim fire too large centerfire , some of it over 50 years old, and thee only stuff that misfired was thee stuff that II was given that was of unknown origin as far as storage goes.
Same goes with every brand of ammo I have tried over thee years.
Cat
Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 PM

There should be nothing wrong with that Ammo , I used the same Ammo and as they say on forged in fire , it will kill
There has been numerous animals put on the dinner table with that Ammo
Old 01-08-2020, 07:14 AM

Yup, I inherited that ammo when I was about 12. But isn't that kind of the same as the guy that started the thread? No control over how it was stored for 50 years?
Another thing that people tended to do was leave guns and ammo in their trucks pretty much year round or thats how I remember it.
Anyway chances are of course that you guys are right and its still good.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Yup, I inherited that ammo when I was about 12. But isn't that kind of the same as the guy that started the thread? No control over how it was stored for 50 years?
Another thing that people tended to do was leave guns and ammo in their trucks pretty much year round or thats how I remember it.
Anyway chances are of course that you guys are right and its still good.
It all friends on how that amok was kept as you say.
If the boxes are still peristome with no visible moisture damage etc , I would test
Them .
Another option would be to pull the bullets did change the powder and primers
I kept rifles in my vehicles when I was younger but never ammo year round .
Looses smmo is always suspect though , hard to know where it was laying !
Any ammo I got from my family however was stored on a controlled environment
Cat
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

take them to the range...sight in...carry on unless you see issues or have issues with them.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 AM

Years ago I used to buy and sell guns. I used to advertise in local papers. Bought a lot of guns from little old ladies (widows) who lived alone and stored everything in the attic or down in a damp basement. Even today I know guys that on account of their wives they have to have everything hidden.
Its because of this that if I dont know the history of ammo or powder I don't really trust it.Example I often see old reloading powder for sale at gun shows.
But thats just me. I'm kind of extreme about storing ammo and powder. Climate controlled, desicant, keeping suspect ammo separate just for targets.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 AM

Some guys collect old ammo. I'd sell it and buy some current stuff.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 PM

still have a box of the 170 stuff!

they are spares as I use the new Hornady spire tip now
Old 01-14-2020, 08:37 PM

Everything ages when it comes to chemical compositions such as gunpowder. When you pull the trigger, the gun will go bang, if the primer still works, however the bullet might not make it much past the muzzle. Take a shot at a dry old stump. If the bullet passes through...okay...I guess. But don't be surprised if it doesn't. I would keep them as a keepsake and use fresh ammo on your next deer. Put it to you this way, if the next deer you get a chance on happens to be Mr. 187 B&C after deductions, do you want that old ammo in the breech?