Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Weavster Weavster is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Default First Hard Ice Adventure 2020 Cold Lake Edition

Well, my long wait was finally over and I made it out on the hard water chasing some lake trout on Cold Lake! We sledded across the main lake over to Garnett while navigating one big heave that seems to span most of the lake from english bay all the way across into Saskatchewan.

The bite started off very hot with many aggressive fish chasing hard check it out below for yourselves!

https://youtu.be/V0WMqavA-lg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Mackinaw Mackinaw is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Well, my long wait was finally over and I made it out on the hard water chasing some lake trout on Cold Lake! We sledded across the main lake over to Garnett while navigating one big heave that seems to span most of the lake from english bay all the way across into Saskatchewan.

The bite started off very hot with many aggressive fish chasing hard check it out below for yourselves!

https://youtu.be/V0WMqavA-lg
great video Matt

mack
__________________
LISTEN FOR THE "POP"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 PM
300magman's Avatar
300magman 300magman is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,714
Default

Fantastic video! Very well done, looks like a blast
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2020, 12:19 AM
ddddd05 ddddd05 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 230
Default

Awesome video. I learned a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 AM
Jawjacker Jawjacker is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 281
Default

Excellent Weavster. Best one yet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:17 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 14,616
Thumbs up

Very well done.!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 AM
FishHunterPro FishHunterPro is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,166
Default

Deadly action, Iíve never had a day of laker fishing like that. Your ice rod looks deadly, I really like the large line guides you have Iíve never understood why companies donít make more rods with them like that. Do you know of any rods that you can buy that long with big guides?.
__________________
Never celebrate till you got your knife stuck in it !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 AM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 4,026
Default

Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2020, 01:55 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 14,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Excalibur fish slayer edition....
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2020, 03:03 PM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CNP
Posts: 6,931
Default

Wow!
__________________
[[[[[You can do virtually nothing without government permission and payment of a fee. If you think you are free, then you are under a delusion. You are just a free range human living on a tax farm]]]]]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Weavster Weavster is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Default

Thanks Mackinaw, 300magman, ddddd05, Jawjacker, 58thecat, CNP, 35 whelen & FishHunterPro I appreciate all the feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Deadly action, Iíve never had a day of laker fishing like that. Your ice rod looks deadly, I really like the large line guides you have Iíve never understood why companies donít make more rods with them like that. Do you know of any rods that you can buy that long with big guides?.
There is a link in the description of the video to what I was using to fish that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Thanks Matt love the rod it worked worked great good video also.
Cant wait to see some pictures of some Manitoba monsters on the other end of it!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2020, 04:43 PM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Thanks Mackinaw, 300magman, ddddd05, Jawjacker, 58thecat, CNP, 35 whelen & FishHunterPro I appreciate all the feedback!!







There is a link in the description of the video to what I was using to fish that day.







Cant wait to see some pictures of some Manitoba monsters on the other end of it!


Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:30 PM
FishHunterPro FishHunterPro is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Thanks Mackinaw, 300magman, ddddd05, Jawjacker, 58thecat, CNP, 35 whelen & FishHunterPro I appreciate all the feedback!!



There is a link in the description of the video to what I was using to fish that day.



Cant wait to see some pictures of some Manitoba monsters on the other end of it!
Right on thanks Iíll look for it.
__________________
Never celebrate till you got your knife stuck in it !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 PM
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 313
Default

Cool video thanks for sharing. One thing I've picked up in your videos is you have a lot of confidence to keep reeling and not stop while they chase. I have a hard time when they start chasing not to hit the brakes momentarily and it's probably cost me some fish.

It would be cool to see you do a video that goes over some of the finer details of the rods you build. They look really good and I hope you don't take any offence to this but from what I can see on your website you are asking quite a bit for them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 PM
RACKER RACKER is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 549
Default

great video man.Its always cool to see how the fish react in real time on the flasher.Hope ya have a fantastic season out there this year and cant wait to see your next video.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 14,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Cool video thanks for sharing. One thing I've picked up in your videos is you have a lot of confidence to keep reeling and not stop while they chase. I have a hard time when they start chasing not to hit the brakes momentarily and it's probably cost me some fish.

It would be cool to see you do a video that goes over some of the finer details of the rods you build. They look really good and I hope you don't take any offence to this but from what I can see on your website you are asking quite a bit for them.
Custom built is just that time, material and the product speaks for itself.

I have not gotten one from Matt but have ventured into other custom built items and you pay for that not across the counter quality.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:35 AM
35 whelen's Avatar
35 whelen 35 whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: N.W OF EDMONTON AND EAST OF GRAND PRAIRIE
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Custom built is just that time, material and the product speaks for itself.



I have not gotten one from Matt but have ventured into other custom built items and you pay for that not across the counter quality.
Exactly this is my third custom rod first from Matt but not my last

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 14,616
Thumbs up

Go to his site and see what all is put into this and you will see that it is top notch no more, no less.


https://weaversbentrods.com/

Well done!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 AM
FishHunterPro FishHunterPro is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Go to his site and see what all is put into this and you will see that it is top notch no more, no less.


https://weaversbentrods.com/

Well done!
These rods look awesome, thanks for the link I had no idea weavster made his own rods.
__________________
Never celebrate till you got your knife stuck in it !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Dom4 Dom4 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 505
Default

I really enjoyed the video thanks for sharing! Also that rod looks sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,219
Default

Great post and vid! Nice to see that chase happen. That is one aggressive laker!

In a sea of B.S. recently on AO, this is a great example of what should be on here

Looking forwards to future posts.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Weavster Weavster is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Default

Thanks Racker, Dom4 & SNAPFisher and everyone else for the feedback, you are the reason i keep trying to put out new content. I enjoy making these videos to share some of my experience on Cold Lake and some of my fishing trips. If they help someone have a little more success on their next trip then it was well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
It would be cool to see you do a video that goes over some of the finer details of the rods you build. They look really good and I hope you don't take any offence to this but from what I can see on your website you are asking quite a bit for them.
No offence taken and I think a few other people covered it pretty well. These are not mass produced but built individually one at a time with top of the line components, fully customize-able to species and techniques, and there is a considerable amount of time into each rod.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:09 AM
Moosetalker's Avatar
Moosetalker Moosetalker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 462
Default

Excellent Video love the picture in picture Flasher readout.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Thanks Racker, Dom4 & SNAPFisher and everyone else for the feedback, you are the reason i keep trying to put out new content. I enjoy making these videos to share some of my experience on Cold Lake and some of my fishing trips. If they help someone have a little more success on their next trip then it was well worth it!



No offence taken and I think a few other people covered it pretty well. These are not mass produced but built individually one at a time with top of the line components, fully customize-able to species and techniques, and there is a considerable amount of time into each rod.
Right on and when I said "quite a bit" I hope it didn't read as "to much" as I can imagine it takes a lot of time to build a rod by hand. Just an idea to maybe to a bit of a spotlight on some the rod actions and your preferences for a lake trout rod is all. Totally up to you obviously.

Whereabouts around English Bay does the heave start? I marked some spots in front of the English Bay campground this summer that I wouldn't mind trying this winter but it always seems there is a heave or junk ice of some sort over there.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Weavster Weavster is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Right on and when I said "quite a bit" I hope it didn't read as "to much" as I can imagine it takes a lot of time to build a rod by hand. Just an idea to maybe to a bit of a spotlight on some the rod actions and your preferences for a lake trout rod is all. Totally up to you obviously.

Whereabouts around English Bay does the heave start? I marked some spots in front of the English Bay campground this summer that I wouldn't mind trying this winter but it always seems there is a heave or junk ice of some sort over there.
I'm not sure where exactly it starts in English bay as I wasn't fishing there. I know it comes out of the bay and comes across extending a ways off the provincial park point and carrying on over to garnett. There was a trail we were crossing at garnett to get to the other side of it.

I can throw a little spotlight in the next one for those who are curious. There is a cool video on the website of one being made for a friend in Manitoba
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 PM
huntinglover huntinglover is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
Default

Love your video, specially all syn with flasher detail, best video editor
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM
Weavster Weavster is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Excellent Video love the picture in picture Flasher readout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinglover View Post
Love your video, specially all syn with flasher detail, best video editor
Thanks Moosetalker & huntinglover takes a little time to get it all but makes it much more exciting when you can see what the fish is doing. I'll make sure to keep it up with the flasher cam!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.