Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Default Where do you set your UW camera for depth ?

I set mine parallel to the ground usually 1-2 feet off. Today i went higher, looked to me i could see alot more. Water today was clearer.

Where do you set yours and position ?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM

I set mine so that when my hook is tapping the lake bottom, it’s at the very bottom of my screen. When I pull my hook up a foot or two it’s directly in the middle of the screen.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 PM

I set my camera about two feet above the bottom of the lake so that it is in a vertical position as I usually fish the bottom two feet of the lake.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Around two feet off the bottom looking horizontal. And always centred and behind the bait pointing towards shore if I’m fishing on uneven ground....the bottom tends to light the camera up better which extends the daylight fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
I set my camera about two feet above the bottom of the lake so that it is in a vertical position as I usually fish the bottom two feet of the lake.
So your camera looks straight down towards the hook and the dirt below ?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:48 AM

Depending on the bottom structure or thickness in weeds I generally touch bottom with my camera then pull it up 6” or so.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM

I keep mine JUST off bottom, angled upward. I like the little device on the AV715c that allows you to adjust the angle your camera sits at. I keep mine pointing up a bit, but close to bottom...
Old 01-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Depends on water clarity, depth and weed growth.

Always horizontal, and always as far away as possible from bait/jig hole. Often a foot or so off bottom so I can see the jig pound up the sand/mud but far enough back so I can still see it clearly and see as much around it as possible …… sometimes you get a pike staring it down for a long time pondering what to do.

It's really awesome to watch reactions of fish and get that unique perspective. Seems to me pike are certainly far more cautious than I ever would have guessed "before the days of the camera".

Also watched a burb literally take 10-15 minutes slowly "crawl the bottom" to get to the bait once inching closer and closer in an effort to ambush my lure.

Cameras are awesome.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Depends on water clarity, depth and weed growth.

Always horizontal, and always as far away as possible from bait/jig hole. Often a foot or so off bottom so I can see the jig pound up the sand/mud but far enough back so I can still see it clearly and see as much around it as possible …… sometimes you get a pike staring it down for a long time pondering what to do.

It's really awesome to watch reactions of fish and get that unique perspective. Seems to me pike are certainly far more cautious than I ever would have guessed "before the days of the camera".

Also watched a burb literally take 10-15 minutes slowly "crawl the bottom" to get to the bait once inching closer and closer in an effort to ambush my lure.

Cameras are awesome.
Completely changed ice fishing for me....incredible the difference they make. I could sit and watch underwater cam footage all day...
Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM

if Im fishing deeper than I can see, I will either drill an extra hole in the tent or put out a tipup and use the second tent hole and hang the cam parallel pointed at my jig if Im walleye fishing. if Im pike fishing it gets pointed down the hole with the bait, I try to keep it just at the edge of the ice or even in the hole as long as I can see my bait so I can sit back and watch the bait on the monitor. That way it takes one second to yank it out of the hole when a pike runs with your bait and no danger of tangling. Ive lost lots of pike because of the camera, I learned my lesson. walleye seem to keep away from the black cord usually but it still comes out

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2020, 07:44 PM

Yes 220, I have my camera pointing straight down, looking at my hook. I can watch the fish's reaction to the bait or any movement that it makes. Sometimes when the fish are really finicky, they suck the lure in and spit it out without ever tugging on the line. By watching them inhale it, I can set the hook before they spit it out. Have been doing this for close to twenty years and it works for me. The camera is in the same hole as the hook and line too.