Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 11:20 AM

Default Maven Binoculars

Hey guys. I needed a new set of binos for hunting, and my budget was $500-$700. After reading copious tests, I kept coming across stellar reviews for the Maven C1 10x42. Statements like best buy, best in class, punches way above its weight, superior clarity and resolution rivaling models that cost well more than twice their price...

The two models I had been considering were Nikon Monarch 7 and Vortex Viper HD, which Maven listed as their targeted competitors for this model. To my eye, which is purely subjective, the Monarch 7s were a bit better than the Viper HDs.

Maven had a Christmas sale on, so I bought myself a pair. Amazon had them at my door earlier than stated.

I am not a fanboy of stuff just because I own it, as I've bought lots of junk, but these ain't junk.

Far from it. Their pricing structure and direct to customer business model allows them to put that end retailer markup into their products.

Unlimited lifetime warranty - which I know is only as good as the company - took away any jitters from not being able to handle them before buying. Maven also has a program where you can test binos on a loaner basis, and send them back if you are unhappy.

I am super pleased thus far after having tested them in low light conditions.

If you are looking for a new set of binos, I'd give Maven some serious consideration.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 11:24 AM

I have heard really good things about mavens.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 AM

I have laid my hands on 2 sets of Mavens as well as talking to a buddy who makes his living behind his binos.
There is no question in my mind that when i hand my Leupolds down to my son they will be replaced with Mavens.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up Nice looking Binos. I too preferred the Nikon to Vortex for clarity, color etc. Now that Nikon has got out of the scope business and are off and on about honouring their warranty, that would put them out of the running.

So a few more details, where are these Mavens made, how are they for weight and holding steady free hand for longer periods of time. Do both eyes have diopter adjustment or just the right eye. If you don't mind saying, what did you actually pay for the 10x42s and have you compared them side by side with some Swaro, Zeiss or Leica binos.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 PM

Dean,

Their glass for all models is made in Japan, and I read in Outdoor Life that this model is assembled in the Philippines. I did read the name of the
Japanese optics company they source glass from, but can't remember it at the moment. It seemed from the story I read that they may actually be in partnership with the company, though don't quote me.

I bought their entry level bino. The only place you can get them from is Amazon who Maven told me stocks their non-custom offerings in their warehouses here in Canada. They are $460 CDN, but they had a 20% off Christmas sale.

Diopter focusing is done with centre wheel for left eye, and the orange aluminum diopter ring for the right eye.

At some point, I am going to take them to Cabelas to compare them side by side with the Monarch 7s just for giggles.

Online, I found a number of articles comparing them side by side to the big European boys. Now hear me out. I am not saying they are better, but I did read many people saying they hold their own for sure, which in and of itself is quite a compliment.

I'd be happy to let you or anyone else in Edmonton try them out if they were contemplating them.

Last edited by sns2; 01-13-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 PM

When it warms up we may have to get together and try them against my Lieca Duovids. Would be interesting to see how they fare. They do sound like a solid choice for someone on a budget, and to be honest, for the very large price difference to Swaro or Lieca, the Monarch 7s I gave to my nephew are pretty damn good. Looking through them side by side I was hard pressed to see the difference between the Nikons and my Leica except right at dark or looking for very fine detail like bird feathers. My bet is the ones you bought will be the same.

I got a great deal on the Duovids barely used, it would never make sense to pay $3000 more than the Monarch 7s for a new set when there is so little real difference to the $700 binos.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

I think glass quality and coatings in general have made a huge leap in the past decade. I sent some old bushnell elite bino’s in for repair and they sent me a set of bushnell forge bino’s in return and I’m telling you I can’t tell the difference between them and my Swaro el’s.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:13 PM

Those look fantastic. Thanks for your thoughts on those. I was really interested in getting a pair of the Maven 8x30 B3's. To use their demo program however, it was 70CAD just in shipping alone, so I decided to pass on that option. I ended up picking up a pair of Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 for $850 on Amazon that popped on sale. They're great binos but I'd still love to get a chance to do a comparison with the Maven B3s sometime.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Banned

Those look nice, I wonder how their rifle scopes are?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Those look nice, I wonder how their rifle scopes are?
I never read anything about them because I wasn't in the market. Their website actually has lots of different reviews on all their products.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM

A family member of mine makes his living glassing sheep from the NWT down to Mexico and critters from all over the world. Has never had anything other than Swaros. Until he was approached to be sponsored by Maven. Last fall I went Mule deer hunting with him in the prairies, I got the chance to look thru swaro binos, maven binos, swaro spotter and maven spotter.

I will attest I was insanely impressed! There is a difference between the two no questions asked. Was comparing the top of the line Mavens to Swaro el and ATS 65 spotter. Having said that I would have no doubts about purchasing a set of mavens. There is a price jump for sure. If you can afford Swaros buy Swaros. Mavens are good as well. Buy the best glass you can afford. Can’t see much through your house window when you can’t afford to get out the door.

If you are one of those fellas that like to have ur own stamp on things Mavens are extremely customizable which is kind of neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 PM

Like that review, thanks!

Mavens are already on my 2020 buy-list in advance of hunting season.
Can't wait.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 AM

Good review, I've been pretty curious about mavens glass I've read lots of good reviews on rokslide and seen some videos on YouTube. I like there customization you can do to their optics.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:24 PM

I tried a B2 11x45 demo pair last fall.

I was curious if the product lived up to all the good reviews/comparisons I had read online. Having a program where I can test out the equipment is a nice option in a world where reviews and opinions are everywhere.

I was able to take them to Cabela's and compare them to many of the brands including Swaro EL, Zeiss Conquest, and the Vortex Razor both inside and outside the store on a pretty overcast day. The Mavens were right there in terms of the clarity of image and sharpness. Needless to say me and the sales guy were impressed. ( he really wanted to sell me those swaro's lol )

The whole demo process from start to finish was smooth and effortless.There is no question in my eyes they are making a strong case for a well built well priced optic. No matter what model you decide on.

Most guys want to spend the right amount of money on good equipment and for those of us that haven't had experience with all the different brands it is tough to know what is worth the cost.

If you want more information on the demo process let me know I can try to answer any questions you might have
Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM

I took my C1s to Cabelas one night last week. Store was slow, so I took my sweet time and really compared them with Monarch 7s and Viper HDs. The Mavens were clearly superior. I then asked for a pair of Zeiss Conquests. I was hard pressed to note any discernible difference, though the Conquests may have been a touch better, but it sure wasn't much. In fact, the glass was so close, I forgot which ones I was looking through. For a mid range bino, dang am I ever happy with this purchase.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 01-29-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts27 View Post
A family member of mine makes his living glassing sheep from the NWT down to Mexico and critters from all over the world. Has never had anything other than Swaros. Until he was approached to be sponsored by Maven. Last fall I went Mule deer hunting with him in the prairies, I got the chance to look thru swaro binos, maven binos, swaro spotter and maven spotter.

curious to know what power of Bino's your family member uses in the field. Is he a 10x42 guy?

thanks
Old 06-19-2021, 08:25 AM

From the Maven website:
Because we sell direct to consumer, we’re not limited to the type of materials we can use. As a result, we use the best glass available in our optics. In our S, B, and RS Series optics, we utilize the best optical components available from Japan. In our C and CM Series, we use a combination of key Japanese components along with other optical elements from China, and the CS Series utilizes all Chinese components. In all of our optics we plan and build an overall optical system tuned to be the best performance available for the price.

Glass from Japan is only in their upper end binos.