Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Newell Hardwater 2020 Info

Figure this lake is popular enough to have its own thread. Anyone been out as of late? I'm planning a trip out there Sunday morning for the first time. Excited to try this place out and hoping we can drive on! Thinking of starting at the provincial park and working our way south....
Old 01-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Figure this lake is popular enough to have its own thread. Anyone been out as of late? I'm planning a trip out there Sunday morning for the first time. Excited to try this place out and hoping we can drive on! Thinking of starting at the provincial park and working our way south....
if you go south, go by road, you probably wont make it by the ice there are gas pockets and thin spots

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
if you go south, go by road, you probably wont make it by the ice there are gas pockets and thin spots
I've heard it's a funny lake that way. Dangerous ice in spots and then more than a foot of ice in others. We'll absolutely follow the crowd...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:18 PM

was there a week ago. 12" of ice in jack fish bay. no one was driving on. should be good after this cold snap
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

without giving anything away, is it fair to say that there's still trophy walleye (~30") in this fishery, if one new what they were doing......?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
without giving anything away, is it fair to say that there's still trophy walleye (~30") in this fishery, if one new what they were doing......?
yes we caught several this fall .
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
yes we caught several this fall .
Excellent. It's pretty much all we're after this weekend...
Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 AM

drilled holes the past 4 days, anywhere from 6-13" of ice. I refuse to drive on that lake. Far too unpredictable. Good luck on the walleye.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
drilled holes the past 4 days, anywhere from 6-13" of ice. I refuse to drive on that lake. Far too unpredictable. Good luck on the walleye.
saw a truck go through midway down the lake when the most of the lake was almost ready for the extension. lots of bad spots it pays to do lots of test holes. someone drove around the breakwater at the PP last week theres usually a pressure ridge right there. someone was lucky

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
trying to figure out if that's sarcastic.....ha ha ha. We'll give 'er a run anyhow. Have some thoughts just based on the limited mapping available. I had been hoping to drive on, but based on the reports in this thread, I think we'll be walking on from the PP......
Old 01-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
trying to figure out if that's sarcastic.....ha ha ha. We'll give 'er a run anyhow. Have some thoughts just based on the limited mapping available. I had been hoping to drive on, but based on the reports in this thread, I think we'll be walking on from the PP......
I haven’t been there yet this year but many other places. Based on previous years I would not drive on it either. It’s too unpredictable yet. Believe me I would rather drive on than pull the sled too. As was mention that ice heave shows up on the point of the PP
Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I haven’t been there yet this year but many other places. Based on previous years I would not drive on it either. It’s too unpredictable yet. Believe me I would rather drive on than pull the sled too. As was mention that ice heave shows up on the point of the PP
Makes sense! My usual guideline is to see where everyone else is set up and that'll give us an idea at least of what ice is safe. Sounds like it's pretty safe to walk around anywhere out there, just not driving, which is fine. We'd hike and haul gear to Timbuktu if it got us on trophy walters....
Old 01-14-2020, 07:01 PM

My son found a methane pocket on New Year’s Day on the north east end. It was roughly a 3’ open circle bubbling away in about 15’ of water. This lake deserves respect. Treat her right and she will be good to you in return

Have fun!!

I prefer to drive as well but the last few years my tolerance for hiking has gone way up
Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It was sincere! My apologies for not seeming so.

We had a great few days on the walleye, couple of absolutely beautiful, healthy fish caught. Far and few between, but they make a trip worth it!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:11 AM

Default Be very careful

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374299
Old 01-15-2020, 01:20 PM

Is anyone using snow machines on the lake I was going to come down this weekend and was hoping to use my snow mobile with caution of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM

I would think that, after this nasty cold snap, the ice is gonna be as thick as it could possibly be WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE GAS POCKETS where it just doesn't freeze, no matter what. I'm confident saying that it'll be walkable everywhere, but vehicles are touch-and-go. Weather is supposed to be really nice on Sunday, so we'll definitely be out there lugging our **** around in search of some big prairie Walters!