Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Default Canning fish?

I tried canning pike this weekend. Wow am I impressed with how it turned out. I filleted 5 pike that my daughter and I caught a few weeks ago. I took the rib bones and the skin off but left the Y bones. After the canning process you can still see the bones but as soon as you touch them they disintegrate. It has the consistency of canned Tuna but has a much milder flavour. Tonight we fried up some onions and when they were basically ready, I added the fish and some Taco seasoning and we enjoyed pike taco's.

Anyone else try canning? any recipes anyone's willing to share? I went pretty basic this time and did 7 jars of just straight pike (that was in a salt brine for a few hours then rinced) and then did 2 jars with a bit of liquid smoke added but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:07 PM

I have a scan that i can maybe share with you tomorrow. Can you post your recipe?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 PM

I can quite a bit of fish as it makes for a quick and tasty meal during busy work days. I like the skin, so I scale the fish and split it along the back bone. I don't remove any bones, just the head and the fins.
I will usually throw in a bay leaf, a few black peppercorns and a couple of spoons of crushed tomato. I use 500ml jars and pressure cook at 15 psi for 90 minutes. I haven't ever had any problems with spoilage.

I've done pike, salmon and lake trout. All of them were delicious!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 PM

Does it work on Prussian carp?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM

Default Canned pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
I have a scan that i can maybe share with you tomorrow. Can you post your recipe?

For the brine, i just used a gallon of water to 1 cup of salt. I let the fish soak for 3 hours then washed them and patted dry. Then I just filled the jars with the fish and pressure cooked at 15 Psi for 90 min. In 2 of the jars i added a couple of dashes of liquid smoke to mimic smoked fish. I haven't tried that yet but my guess is that it will be good. This is my first attempt at canning and so far so good. Pretty well just watched a bunch of you tube video's and gave it a go.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 AM

I've canned trout a few times in small jars about the same size as small tins of salmon, it tasted similar to salmon, we used it for sandwiches
Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
As I understand for Prussian carp it it’s key to bleed and ice them for best flavor. But if you could find them in volume they should make decent canned fish. And they have the advantage of volume in theory you could bring home enough for a year's worth of fish.

At this point I have only done one batch of canned fish (Pike) tasted fine but a little mushy so I need to figure that out.

Oddly my canned spam was a hit, but that is another thread.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 AM

My wife and her grandmother have made jarred pickled pike for years. I boneless fillet any pike I bring home for fishn chips but her grandmother used to leave the y bones in and they tell me they just disintegrated so never noticed them. She makes some kind of vinegar solution, tons of onions and spices. Lets them sit for about 3 weeks and starts at it. I am not a fan but she does say after 6 months or so they do get a bit mushy so she tries to not get too far ahead of what she can can eat herself and give some to her mother.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:27 AM

I would bet it does but never tried. My only thing would be from guys that have told me that ate them is that they have a lot of bones and they are much bigger heavy duty bones than our normal caught fish around here. You may have to leave and let the bones disintegrate for a longer time but I guess someone needs to try them first. I fish lakes with them in them but have never caught one or even seen one on the camera. Just in the bellies of fish I have filleted so I know they are around and the pike and walleye like to eat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:39 PM

Post #8 on this thread is a recipe for pickled pike. Yummy.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348345
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Default Canned Fish

All I ever used is;
Per pint:

1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon Pickling Salt

Good for all pink or red fleshed fish as it is. For white fleshed fish add a teaspoon
of Ketchup.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM

Curious and likely a good thread to ask. I found some tins of smoked salmon professional canned. Tops haven’t puffed up. Taste and smell still good. Can interior still good.

Ate some. No problem. Any reason I shouldn’t be?

They eat lots of old canned stuff and don’t turn into zombies
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM

We've pickled every pike we've ever kept. What Y bones??!!! Cant even tell they're there. We've since bought a pressure cooker so next time we'll try canning.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:21 PM

Default pressure cookers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
We've pickled every pike we've ever kept. What Y bones??!!! Cant even tell they're there. We've since bought a pressure cooker so next time we'll try canning.
Make sure the pressure cooker can get up to 15PSI. If you're using an electric pressure cooker (like an instant pot) most only operate at 7 psi which at our altitude will not get hot enough to kill off everything harmful. Instant pot does make the "Max" that can get up to 15 PSI.

Pulled this off the internet

The botulinum toxin has been found in a variety of foods, including low-acid preserved vegetables, such as green beans, spinach, mushrooms, and beets; fish, including canned tuna, fermented, salted and smoked fish; and meat products, such as ham and sausage.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 PM

This is very true. I believe most pressure cooker recipes are set at sea level pressure. With our higher altitude we need to raise the pressures up a bit. Mine is a stove top unit with weights and a gauge. I don't think we've used it yet.

I saw a pic online of a pressure cooker lid embedded into a range hood. Scary stuff. Make sure it has a pressure relief valve!!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
This is very true. I believe most pressure cooker recipes are set at sea level pressure. With our higher altitude we need to raise the pressures up a bit. Mine is a stove top unit with weights and a gauge. I don't think we've used it yet.

I saw a pic online of a pressure cooker lid embedded into a range hood. Scary stuff. Make sure it has a pressure relief valve!!
I use an "All American" designed specifically for pressure canning. They are expensive new but I bought mine off Kijiji a few years ago for a couple of hundred bucks. It uses a weight for releasing steam at the correct pressure and also has a blow-out rubber plug for safety. Makes me feel more confident using the right equipment although my grandparents canned plenty of meat back in the day without pressure canning and nobody died luckily.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Default All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I use an "All American" designed specifically for pressure canning. They are expensive new but I bought mine off Kijiji a few years ago for a couple of hundred bucks. It uses a weight for releasing steam at the correct pressure and also has a blow-out rubber plug for safety. Makes me feel more confident using the right equipment although my grandparents canned plenty of meat back in the day without pressure canning and nobody died luckily.
I picked up an All American pressure canner off Kijiji as well. I got mine for $60 which is steal of a deal. I replaced the rubber pressure blow out fitting and installed a new pressure gauge just to be extra cautious. Worked perfectly.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 AM

I’ve seen KegRiver post on here in the past about canning suckers. From what he said it was really good... I’ve had an interest in pressure canning as of late and really wanna give it a try on a bunch of species.
Has anyone pressure canned sucker? and tips?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:48 PM

Wow I gotta try that! I've only considered brining bags of bait.