Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Surf fishing: Cabo San Lucas or Belize

My buddy and I are planning a fishing trip this April. We would like to do a combination of surf fishing and charters. Am looking for your experience as to which area is better or if you have had good experience fishing from shore. It’s the shore/surf fishing I am most interested in. I have done research here for Cabo and Belize charters. BEL
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 AM

April sounds early for roosters in the surf on the cabo side, but I am no expert I have just farted around on vacation a few times. Check the fishing calendars.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 AM

Roosters is one of the species I would love to catch. I have a small Tarpon (25lbs)under my belt from Belize. We are tending towards Cabo as the surf fishing seems better. BEL
Old 01-16-2020, 01:54 PM

I've been to both Cabo and Belize, but only fished in Belize very briefly on a self-guided basis from shore, and for an extended period with a private charter.

Belize: from what I could tell, most of the good fishing requires guides or charters, since you'll want good access to mangrove flats and what not if you want to pursue the triple slam of bonefish, tarpon, and permit. I did some reef fishing off the charter and it wasn't super interesting. From shore I was able to fish from some docks, but those are usually reserved for hotel/resort guests and the species were about the same as those found in reef areas. I was able to kayak fish a bit in the area between shore and the barrier reef, but did not have much luck.

I'd suggest short fishing in Cabo, even though I've never tried it. I've certainly heard of and seen videos of some giant roosters getting landed from shores somewhere in Baja California.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Hey there, ive never fished Belize but I did fish cabo san jose area with a shore fishing guide. I believe the guy I used his name is.Wesley and he is quite famous around there. He was a super good guide and really nice and rates were reasonable. If you pick the right timing there is a week where you have a decent chance of getting mahi mahi off shore - which we did. Check it out. If it was me I would vote for more tarpon, thats on my list!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:54 PM

Cabo and Belize are two totally different oceans / shorelines with different target species..

Much of Belize's coastline is mangroves and flats inside a fringing reef,,, permit. bone and tarpon habitat.

Cabo on the other hand, offers the classic beach / surf fishing you seem to be leaning towards. So if roosters are your goal, Cabo wins hands down,,, there are no roosters in the Caribbean,,, and roosters can be caught at times from the shore along many beaches of the Mexican Pacific.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
My buddy and I are planning a fishing trip this April. We would like to do a combination of surf fishing and charters. Am looking for your experience as to which area is better or if you have had good experience fishing from shore. It’s the shore/surf fishing I am most interested in. I have done research here for Cabo and Belize charters. BEL
Was Rooster fishing in Baja in the surf for Rooster a few years ago (guided) and the guides and really territorial over their beaches. Though they don't say anything if you stuck in the sand good luck. They all seem to know who is who and when there is an outsider.
Rooster Fishing is not fishing it is hunting with a fly rod we covered 100's of kilometres looking for them and its so weather dependant. I finally had a take and F'ed up the hook set. But seeing that comb cut the water as its chasing your fly I will never forget.