Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Conservation officers need help with B.C.'s bear problem

The biggest reason for more problem bears is that bear populations are increasing, and as they do they expand their range, including into populated areas. Then along comes a year like 2019 where food supplies are short and, voila! Bears go after whatever is available, including what's in people’s homes, gardens, chicken houses, and wherever else something smells and tastes good.

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/opi...lem-1.24053509
Old 01-16-2020, 02:02 PM

Default BC bears

Agreed. What the CO's need is someone in Victoria with some brains and a backbone. But maybe that's beyond hope in the lower mainland. I have an outfitter friend who has had to kill 4 different grizzlies that wouldn't leave camps alone, last year. Endless paperwork and grilling by the wardens. Another bear recently wouldn't go away from another camp and they had to shoot it too. So pathetic. All those bears could have been harvested with a tag and thousands of $$$ brought into the industry/province. But no. Warm-fuzzy vegetarians in southwestern BC can't see through their chai latte's.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM

I'd gladly help them out with their bear problem.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 PM

Exclamation BC

B=bring C=cash but not for hunting or fishing
Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
B=bring C=cash but not for hunting or fishing

Just look at what happens when they do the sane thing and destroy a bear.

Grizz
Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Banned

Lower the price for non resident bear tags, $185 for a bear tag is ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Just look at what happens when they do the sane thing and destroy a bear.

Grizz

Indeed!

What gets my goat is when a bear winds up in someone’s yard, and they blame it on urban sprawl. By that definition, the downtown Starbucks location was once “the bear’s home”. How far back do they want to go with that?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:21 AM

I’ve spent the past 6 seasons in bc. Last year year grizzlies were a major problem. Much more so than when they were still being hunted. Couldn’t chase them off trails, had them steal meat, got charged twice, watched them chasing game. Everywhere you go you’re on the lookout for bears. Between bears and wolves we’ve got a big problem.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:37 AM

Our pioneer fathers knew how to deal with bears. Everyone that stuck his head out of the bush was shot at with the old 30-30. They learned fast to not consider coming onto farm sites and back yards.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Our pioneer fathers knew how to deal with bears. Everyone that stuck his head out of the bush was shot at with the old 30-30. They learned fast to not consider coming onto farm sites and back yards.

Exactly. We’ve seen quite a change in bear (and other predator) behaviour over the past half century.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM

Yes but no. Headline should read:

BCs rural citizens and wildlife need help with their communist and more equal problem.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM

How can a dead bear that has been shot learn from human contact?
Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
That bear won’t, but it won’t cause any further problems

Bears learn to avoid humans from two things - being stalked, and smelling humans around a bear carcass. The former being more important. Val Geist established this rather convincingly. See article in link

https://www.themeateater.com/conserv...ct-with-humans

Edit: keeping the population slightly below carrying capacity by hunting also helps mitigate food shortage-based aggression
Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM

Catch them, drop bears off at there traditional grounds Stanley Park.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Bears learn to avoid humans from two things - being stalked, and smelling humans around a bear carcass. The former being more important. Val Geist established this rather convincingly. See article in link

Edit: keeping the population slightly below carrying capacity by hunting also helps mitigate food shortage-based aggression
This! Responsible hunting is conservation.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:48 AM

Shocked to see news cast yesterday with BC residents enjoying 3 bears hung up in a tree and how cute, cuddly and friendly they were!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I don’t know if convincingly is the correct word. But it is the first time I have heard someone make a good case. You did see the “ we hear what we want to hear” comment that was in the article?

I have heard people say for years bears would learn if they were hunted, but never understood how. The Geist theory sounds reasonable to me, but I have no knowledge on the subject.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Excellent link, the answer isn't black & white, so the problem will remain...
Old 01-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Gas, Ammo, hotels, food, time off work. You are a Non Resident $185 is pretty reasonable
Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I don’t know if convincingly is the correct word. But it is the first time I have heard someone make a good case. You did see the “ we hear what we want to hear” comment that was in the article?

I have heard people say for years bears would learn if they were hunted, but never understood how. The Geist theory sounds reasonable to me, but I have no knowledge on the subject.
Theodore Roosevelt also mentions this in his books, how bears have had their nature fundamentally changed by constant contact with rifle bearing hunters. He was on the front edge of that situation and I see no reason to doubt his accounts.

There will always be good bears and bad bears, well managed hunting does a lot to mitigate the conflicts
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 AM

When you have a bear hunt, the problem bears are usually first to be shot as they tend not to avoid hunters.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When you have a bear hunt, the problem bears are usually first to be shot as they tend not to avoid hunters.

Gary Shelton’s writings support this as well. He refers to them as “Day-active, aggressive bears.” I think that has merit.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
Gas, Ammo, hotels, food, time off work. You are a Non Resident $185 is pretty reasonable
As a non resident I'd like to still spend less. The damn bear tag is more than a deer tag!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehunter View Post
Agreed. What the CO's need is someone in Victoria with some brains and a backbone. But maybe that's beyond hope in the lower mainland. I have an outfitter friend who has had to kill 4 different grizzlies that wouldn't leave camps alone, last year. Endless paperwork and grilling by the wardens. Another bear recently wouldn't go away from another camp and they had to shoot it too. So pathetic. All those bears could have been harvested with a tag and thousands of $$$ brought into the industry/province. But no. Warm-fuzzy vegetarians in southwestern BC can't see through their chai latte's.
So true, they are the ones that don’t care about the animals!!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Well figure it this way, how many animals ever year get shot at and missed and get away? For every bear shot and killed, several will be missed. Plus the fact they are being pursued will educate them to avoid humans. As already mentioned it will mainly be the problem bears getting tagged first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Exactly. We’ve seen quite a change in bear (and other predator) behavior over the past half century.
Yep, a significant drop off of predator hunters as fur prices tank and the anti group promote their anti-fur agendas. Not to mention the cessation of government sponsored poisoning etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Don't come to Montana then, our black bear tag is $350 for non-residents.

IN the end what the vast majority of people don't understand is HUNTING IS CONSERVATION.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:03 AM

I call it the "Winchester Theory" every bear that poked his head out of bush was shot at by faithful 30-30. Most where missed by short barrel/open site saddle carbine. However the mother bear taught cubs to avoid man as he was an aggressive predator, male bears may have a bit of lead in their ass from experience. It worked to control problem bears for more than 150 years.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well figure it this way, how many animals ever year get shot at and missed and get away? For every bear shot and killed, several will be missed. Plus the fact they are being pursued will educate them to avoid humans. As already mentioned it will mainly be the problem bears getting tagged first.

Yep, a significant drop off of predator hunters as fur prices tank and the anti group promote their anti-fur agendas. Not to mention the cessation of government sponsored poisoning etc...

Don't come to Montana then, our black bear tag is $350 for non-residents.

IN the end what the vast majority of people don't understand is HUNTING IS CONSERVATION.
If I went to Montana to hunt it wouldn't be for a common black bear lol way better things to hunt, that are actually worth the price of admission.