Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Default "Go-Pro" camera on a bow?

My dearest wife bought me one of those "Go-Pro" camera's to capture all of my outdoor adventures. It's one of those camera's that sky-divers and extreme-sport enthusiasts mount on their helmets. Has anyone here ever tried mounting one to a bow? The little camera is certainly compact and light enough to mount to a bow, but my concern is whether it could withstand the recoil and vibration of the bow. [We're talking a compound bow here, not a crossbow].

Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Default GoPro

...by the way, the reason I ask, is because I once learned the hard way as to how much vibration a compound bow can produce. I once mounted a nice Bushnell rifle scope on my crossbow, and about 25 shots later, the components inside the scope basically imploded and turned into scrambled eggs. Again, we're now talking a regular compound bow, but.... There are a few posts on YouTube where guys have mounted the GoPro to the front of the bow, but, now I'm wondering how long those camera's will last!

Last edited by Artist; 06-18-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 PM

these cameras are great, i usually just use it with the head strap when bow hunting. i'm not sure how it would cope being mounted to the bow. The only problem I have with mine is that it does not capture objects at a distance very well. I mean like 25 yds +, I thought I had a great video of a coyote bow hunt last year only to get home and realize the whole time, with the coyote at about 30yds the camera was not picking him up very well. It looked like I shot at nothing, and if i hadnt got him to prove he was there, lots of people would of thought I made the whole thing up.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Default @ rlg

...do you have your camera mounted to you bow?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Smile

Well I guess you could say" thank you honey for the thoughtful gift But you see honey rather than ruining a perfectly good camera we could take this one back and get one that is ment for that abuse" ...... worth a try anyway hope it works out .
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM

the reason your rifle scope went to bits on your cross bow is because riflescopes arnt desigend to take forward motion recoil. there are desiginated scopes for pellet guns and cross bows.

as for your go pro camera yes it will take the recoil if there is any on your compound. i have had serveral friends mount them on compounds and recurves as well as.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM

no not mounted on the bow, i wear the headstrap that comes with it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Default @ munyee...

...yea, having been a newbe to the world of crossbows at the time, I did not know of the need for a special crossbow scope. SO, you understand my concern now being a newbe to the GoPro idea! Don't want to make the same mistake twice!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM

its a tough camera with a very good customer service side, I bought one for my truck as an in car dash cam and mounted it on my windshield beside the mirror on the right hand side. good quality up close, not to great out past 30yds but it catches car accidents and retarded drivers very well, already on my 3rd accident caught on film.

the case is pretty rugged and the 3M sticky tape is ultra strong.

My cameras case was broken out of the box and I emailed the company that night with a copy of my sales receipt and picture of the damage, they got back to me on a sunday of all days and sent me out a new case that week for free, so very good customer service, i didnt even have to send the broken part back so now i have 2 cases one waterproof with minor damage to the base where you mount it and a skeleton case that i can use to charge on the go
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM

If you want it on the bow mount it on your stabilizer and make sure it is pointed along the right angle. The easier way is to get the head strap and mount it over your non-dominant eye. (right hand shooter, over left eye) That way when you come to draw the GoPro should be looking right over your top cam. Remember that if you're shooting on an off angle, strained around a tree, or through a blind, you need to adjust the camera to get a good angle.

If you get it on the bow and mounted just right they make great videos of half your shot. (camera looks at the ground on your follow through) and nice POV stalking videos on your head. Just remember no zoom, and wide angle lens.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Default ...on second thought...

...having now watched a number of videos on YouTube where hunters have had their shots recorded by their bow-mounted GoPros, I think I'll find something else to do with my GoPro. Anything past about 25-30 yards is too small to get a good recording of. Not being able to zoom in certainly limits the GoPro's effectiveness in capturing a bow shot properly. Thanks for all the input guys!
[I suppose if a guy could figure out a way to mount the GoPro on the arrow, that would be a different story...hmmm, let's see, duct-tape? Gotta go try it!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM

They are a specialized POV camera - that wide angle that lets you see the tips of your skis (or your arrow) can't pick up objects at distance. No camera you mount on your bow will allow you to get those shots you're talking about - you'll need a second person to run the camera.

As for vibrations: the camera will take it. But don't cheap out on the SD memory card. Buy a higher quality card and you won't be disappointed.

I've mounted mine to the deck of my snowboard and the dash of my car. Had it on my hockey stick once too - the mount I made failed but the camera was fine.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Vibration shouldn't be an issue at all. I wear one skiing bumps,and have one on the dirt bike.

Never had an issue even after many crashes in both activities. (Some great video too)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Default GoPro Broadheads

Well, I wonder how long it's going to take before we see the camera technology come into the world of broadheads, where a broadhead [or an arrow] will be fitted with a tiny camera. Wouldn't that make for some spectacular footage! Sounds crazy, but not impossible! Some of you inventor-types should think about it.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Great little camera with outstanding picture. Like others said; it won't be a problem mounting on the bow. I haven't done it as I use the head strap. I used my camera for waterfowl hunting using the head strap; but been thinking of putting it on the shotgun and having it pointed back at me so I could see the funny faces I make when shooting. Here is a video from last season filmed with the go pro.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 AM

I've been wanting to buy a go pro for this exact reason.
i'm sure it would work fine, my buddies wear them on their helmets while dirt biking, and we take some nasty spills.

i have mounted just a normal digital camera to my stabilizer and worked fine.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 AM

I have one and mounted it to my bow by taking off my arrow quiver, removing the quick release bracket from the quiver then I stuck a gopro mount to the quick release. I can position my camera right next to the arrow rest and takes a really good video.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM

I have a hero2 by go pro, I mounted it to an old Saunders tork tamer, as well as made a platform for it that utilizes sling holes on my guns, have shot hundreds of bullets like this as well as arrows. It's holding up. Kind of a cool perspective. My only complaint is that it had no remote. I would really like to be able to mount it to a tree in front of my treestands to film the after effect of the business end but don't feel like running down to change the battery every 90 minutes! Other than that great product. Try submersing it on your next fishing trip!!