Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM

Default Fishcat Scout- Review, Pics, and Custom Fish Finder Mount

New to the Forum here, and would like to contribute something hopefully useful to the members. Especially since there isn't a lot of info around about the Fishcat Scout, a new frameless pontoon from Outcast.

Ordered and received promptly from the Fishin Hole', excellent customer service, and free shipping to boot!

Unpacked it and headed right out to a small pothole lake for a test drive. Best way to describe it feels like a big, stable float tube with oars! You sit high and dry out of the water and the seat is quite comfortable and adjustable once you are settled. 5' oars do the job although they could be a bit beefier. Still rows like a dream, tracks straight and I was comfortable to reach new parts of the lake I would not go in a float tube, would be a long kick back. That being said you can still kick around as if you were in a float tube and get around nicely.

Build quality seems solid, what you would expect from Outcast. Not a lot of storage, but enough to fit 2 plano tackle boxes in the gear pouch that also has a cup holder and rod holder (more like some straps but they work) Lots of room behind the seat for a cooler or more gear. I travel light so more than enough storage imho. I did add a Scotty Fly Rod holder on the back for convenience. Weighs about 35 pounds and fits in the back of my suv partially deflated, would fit in the back of a pickup no problem.

All in all a great tube? pontoon? pontube? that I would recommend to anyone thinking about purchasing one!

Fishing was a bit off that day, but not the tube's fault

Some pics:

Also picked up a fishin buddy and got creative in mounting it:

Started with an old bicycle cup holder that is just the right size to mount to the foot rest, added a stainless steel band and electric tape to snug it up and a gear tie to make sure it wont shift while in the water:

Then some 2" abs pipe connected to a 3" to 2" reducer:

Then some foam around the transducer arm so its a snug fit:

And just like that a nice stable fish finder mount on the cheap:

In theory it should work.

Happy fishing everyone!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Once i've got the money burning a hole in my pocket, that will be my next boat. Thanks for the pictures and the review!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Nice review, thanks!!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM

I almost ordered that several times. My concern was the durability of such a light unit. The Fish Cat we have here is heavy so all I know is the material must be different. If I knew it was as durable as their other products, I would have one for sure as it looks awesome.

Thanks for the review.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Your welcome, happy to share.

I think the PVC they use is the same as on the pontoons - 500 PVC and both 30 oz. /square yd material weight. Difference is welded seams on the scout vs. sewn seams on the pontoons. (compared on the website)

Time will tell, but I think it will hold up well.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM

I can't help but wonder which way it will want to point, if a person was floating a river with it. I get the feeling it would be easy to get turned around the wrong way in it? And how it would handle, to get it to turn back around the right way, on flowing waters. May have to watch weight distribution pretty carefully to keep from pinwheeling??
Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the review, looks like a solid boat. I own three outcast 'toons and love them all, their customer service is also fantastic. Only thing I would change is a Scotty anchor lock where you have the rod holder.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 06-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

Different rig for sure but I like it. How many bladders does it have and how small does it pack down?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Good advice on the anchor lock Doc, thank you!

Silverdoctor, it has 2 bladders one for the main pontoons and 1 for the seat area.

It folds up easily and very small, not much larger than a folded up float tube.