Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Default cabelas

i just got a tip saying cabelas is gonna be built next to new rona in the park sherwood park that is but its all still hear say. would be nice if it happened though!

Last edited by 1100 mag; 03-12-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM

that would be hella sweet!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM

I have heard the same rumour, apparently Cabelas own's the land just east of the new Rona.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Hope it comes true. If it is true I hope they carry more of what you can get in the states. I do not understand that.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 mag View Post
i just got a tip saying cabelas is gonna be built next to new rona in the park sherwood park that is but its all still hear say. would be nice if it happened though!
UH OH No more rainy days they become Cabela's days
Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM

Please be true!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM

I know where i'll be getting my first job
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 AM

Here we go with the Cabellas threads. Last year it was Bass Pro.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOutdoorsmen19 View Post
I know where i'll be getting my first job
I've worked for them. Never took home a paycheque. LOL!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Default hmmm..........

I just happen to know a gentalmen who could tell me if this is true or not. time to make a call.This is the first I've heard of this! Stay tuned!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Fact!!!!!!!

Called my guy and he told me for a FACT that Edmonton ,and Saskachewan ( they are still waiting to purchase the land) are getting a cabela's.WOOHOOO! I am so sure of this that i'm willing to bet one day of my services to anyone who want's to bet me.I will gut, track,haul,etc.In the Edmonton area. So WOOHOO and HAHA Calgary!!!!! TAKER"S
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM

As Deigo Sanchez once said. Yes Yes Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0FnKcMSU0
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM

C'mon cooter, we'll give you Bass Pro, for your Cabela's. How's THAT for a sweet deal??
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM

At Cooter:
Lets only hope this is true, I'd really like to see Cabela's in my city.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
Called my guy and he told me for a FACT that Edmonton ,and Saskachewan ( they are still waiting to purchase the land) are getting a cabela's.WOOHOOO! I am so sure of this that i'm willing to bet one day of my services to anyone who want's to bet me.I will gut, track,haul,etc.In the Edmonton area. So WOOHOO and HAHA Calgary!!!!! TAKER"S
You sure could be right but when I talked to friend very high up in Cabela's yesterday, they were still very tight lipped about the locations. Lots of rumours going around for sure but Cabela's is unwilling to confirm anything at this time.......
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM

wish they would bring a cabelas to ontario.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Oh!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
C'mon cooter, we'll give you Bass Pro, for your Cabela's. How's THAT for a sweet deal??
I'll think about it doetrack's ..........But you have to give Staios back
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 AM

There goes an average of $200 a month! YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

It is logical to put it in Calgary do the the population and money.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You sure could be right but when I talked to friend very high up in Cabela's yesterday, they were still very tight lipped about the locations. Lots of rumours going around for sure but Cabela's is unwilling to confirm anything at this time.......

Hmmm....... Oh come on Sheephunter A guy of your status in the outdoors world must already know
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Hmmm....... Oh come on Sheephunter A guy of your status in the outdoors world must already know
LOL...nope...they are very tight lipped!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
It is logical to put it in Calgary do the the population and money.
UHHHHHHHHHH..........You taken my bet???
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
lol...nope...they are very tight lipped!
lol...........
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Cabela's to open across Canada

Cabela's to open across Canada
Distribution centre, HQ to be located in Winnipeg

handout Cabela�s is planning to be Canada�s first coast-to-coast outdoor chain.
Cabela's is expanding into cities across Canada -- aiming to become the first coast-to-coast outdoor-merchandise chain in the country -- and has acquired one of Winnipeg's biggest warehouses to serve as its national headquarters and distribution centre.
The Nebraska-based firm's Canadian division -- Cabela's Canada -- has spent the last two months quietly renovating the 345,000-square-foot former DeFehr Furniture plant on Pandora Avenue East.

It plans to start moving into the leased premises on March 12 and to have it fully operational by March 22.

The Canadian division's head office, call centre, and distribution operations are currently housed in a warehouse attached to the rear of the company's lone Canadian store at 1300 Ellice Ave. The relocation of those operations to Pandora Avenue will enable Cabela's to add another 8,500 square feet of retail space to the 41,000-square-foot outlet.

"This will consolidate our Canadian operations and provide a solid launching point for our planned expansion throughout Canada," Cabela's International CEO Tommy Millner said of the move. "Winnipeg has been our first home in Canada and will remain the focal point of our operations here."

McKay said Winnipeg and the Pandora Avenue facility, which Cabela's is leasing on a long-term basis, are ideally suited for a national headquarters and distribution centre.

"Winnipeg is centrally located, has a dedicated, reliable workforce and it has an outstanding business climate that has been great for the growth of Cabela's Canada," he said. " (And) with its close proximity to rail lines and the Trans-Canada Highway, this site is ideal for servicing our expansion into Eastern and Western Canada."

Jim Kulik, an independent broker with Colliers Pratt McGarry who was hired by Cabela's to find a new home for their national headquarters, said the firm looked at a number of buildings. But the DeFehr facility, which had been available for more than a year, was best-suited to their needs.

He said the deal will likely be one of the largest leasing transactions in the city in 2010.

"There are not too many tenants who can commit to that amount of space. So those (size of deals) don't come along every day."

Cabela's plans to kick off its expansion with the opening of two new stores this year in Western Canada -- one in the spring and the other in the fall. McKay said the locations will be announced within the next couple of weeks.

He said the goal for Cabela's is to establish itself as the largest "multi-channel marketer" of hunting, fishing, camping and related outdoor merchandise in Canada. In addition to its bricks-and-mortar stores, the company has a thriving catalogue and e-commerce business.

For competitive reasons, McKay wouldn't say how many stores Cabela's hopes to open in Canada, or which cities it's targeting.

He said the Canadian stores won't be as big as some of the Cabela's superstores in the United States, which are up to 250,000 square feet in size. The company's new retail format calls for outlets of 100,000 square feet or less, depending on the size of city.

But while they won't be as big, McKay said the new Canadian stores will have "a similar look and feel." That means some of them could include such razzle-dazzle features as a Conservation Mountain display showing stuffed animals in their natural habitat.

"But it's going to be a Canadian version of that," he said.

With the expansion into other parts of Canada, McKay said Cabela's will be going head to head with such outdoor-merchandise retailers as Wholesale Sports in Western Canada, Sale Baron in the east and U.S.-based Bass Pro, with stores in Toronto and Calgary.

Kulik said while Cabela's has leased the entire Transcona building, it will only be using about 100,000 square feet to start with. McKay said about 100 of the company's 215 workers in Winnipeg will be relocating to the Pandora complex. More will be added as new stores open and distribution operations expand, but McKay said it's too soon to say how many.

murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Let's go hunting

for some facts

Here are some details about Cabela's International and its Winnipeg operations:

"ö One of North America's largest marketers of hunting, fishing, camping and outdoor gear.

"ö Started in 1961 as a home-based mail-order business run by the husband-and-wife team of Dick and Mary Cabela of Chappell, Neb.

"ö Has 29 stores either operating or under construction in the United States and one in Winnipeg. The U.S. outlet best known to most Winnipeggers would be its 60,0000-square-foot store in East Grand Forks, Minn.

"ö Also has a thriving catalogue and Internet-sales operation that ships millions of dollars worth of goods each year to customers throughout the United States and to 125 other countries.

"ö Became a publicly traded company in 2004. Its shares (CAB) trade on the New York Stock Exchange.

"ö Established a beachhead in Canada in 2007 with the acquisition of a Winnipeg hunting and fishing retail institution -- S.I.R. Mail Order and Warehouse Sports store. It extensively renovated both the interior and exterior of S.I.R.'s facility at 1300 Ellice Ave, and said that would also temporarily serve as headquarters for its fledgeling Canadian operations.

"ö Establishing a newly leased office/manufacturing/warehouse complex at 770 Pandora Ave. E. as the new home for its Canadian head office, call centre and national distribution centre. The building includes 35,000 square feet of office space and 310,000 square feet of warehouse space.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 4, 2010 B5
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
UHHHHHHHHHH..........You taken my bet???
Im not betting, I am saying it is Illogical to put the store in Edmonton instead of Calgary
Old 03-13-2010, 04:07 PM

If this is true Ill never keep a paycheque....
its only a ten minute walk from my house

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Im not betting, I am saying it is Illogical to put the store in Edmonton instead of Calgary

i think your wrong... alot of money in the north...better access to the province in edmonton then calgary...also with bps in calgary why double up when theres less compition in edmonton....as for population and money well i dont think theres much differance between the north and the south...
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM

In the military has a saying - if you haven't heard a rumor by 10 o'clock, start one.

Sound familiar?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Based on what? You already have BPS. So to build a Cabela's down south would be I direct comp with them. Now if you read on the cabela's web site under Franchise it will give you the rules for building a store.It would never be allowed to be built in Calgary,Based on there rules.As for the money in Calgary? Well I don't think Calgary has as much money as everyone thinks.This may have been true in the 90's but not anymore. I would love to look at the demagrapghic's Edmonton to Calgary. I think Cabela's did there home work on this one. Hey just my two cents. Don't matter much now there comin here. WOOOOOOO...................