Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Default Best tournament boat? Opinions with exp. only.

looking to get into tournament fishing and would like
some honest opinions , from people in the businees.
what length
alum - fibreglass?
2stroke - 4 stroke?
brand

any other tips would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Dont do what i did. Im rebuilding,, basically a frame up (hauling tomorrow to Lethbridge) a geriatric Lund Tyee deep V, and re rigging. Whew, that new Pro V keeps looking nicer and nicer with every dollar that keeps racking up. You should get lotsa good help, there are some pretty smokin walleye fisherman kickin around on here.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Depends on what you are going to do with it. When I was shopping last year I looked at the Lund and the lay out was nice for a fishing boat but the Crestliner was laid out best as a multi purpose boat. great fishing boat all the bells and whistles, welded alum. I also have a young family to think about the Crestliner best fit the mold for me. 4 stroke all the way
Gramps
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Go to the websites of the SAWT, NAWT, and Sask Walleye Trail (SWT) and look at the photos from the tournaments. You should get a pretty good idea what the typical boat fishing the tournies is based on that.

I don't really want to get into brands and specifics, because everyone is going to have a different opinion and preference. You don't need a $70,000 Lund or Ranger to fish the tournaments, just a well equipped boat capable of handling all kinds of whether and fishing tactics. Bigger is better though lol...

The most important thing in my opinion is rigging the boat properly - electronics front and rear with GPS, at least a bow mount electric, a rear electric is sweet, a kicker, plenty of battery power, and all the other fishing stuff - rod holders, drift socks, anchors, etc, etc...

It'll take some time and some trial and error to get it rigged the way that works best for you.

I'm sure there'll be a few people along with more experience than me to help you out beyond that and with specifics.

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 02-20-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I don't have the tournement model but Shmag has got one I would love to have, it's one of the nicest I have seen (pg 3) $$$$$$$$$.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM

you dont have to spend a ton of cash to enjoy a fishing tourny.. I have been doing tournys on slave lake for 6 years and have a small Lund,,,Yes i cant run the lake like the big boys and would love to have one a little bigger (18ft , 150 HP+) but the money was a little high.. The boat i run is just a small Lund 1650 with a 60 HP 4 stroke but it has put me in the money 25% of the time.
If you can blow the cash go big!!!! If not a smaller boat with a good fish finder and GPS will still find you some big fish..

our little boat and its first mate...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
you dont have to spend a ton of cash to enjoy a fishing tourny.. I have been doing tournys on slave lake for 6 years and have a small Lund,,,Yes i cant run the lake like the big boys and would love to have one a little bigger (18ft , 150 HP+) but the money was a little high.. The boat i run is just a small Lund 1650 with a 60 HP 4 stroke but it has put me in the money 25% of the time.
If you can blow the cash go big!!!! If not a smaller boat with a good fish finder and GPS will still find you some big fish..

our little boat and its first mate...
Sick fast that is one beautiful boat.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM

For sure what Gramps says. You gotta think, is all you want to do is fish with you and your buddies, do you wanna ski & tube at times. Myself I wanted to buy a Lund last year, but the deciding factor was my wife. She doesnt fish at all, but likes tubing ect. She was not very fond of Lund fishing boats but I was. She really liked to looks and interior of Crestliner. I decided on a Crestliner Superhawk 1800. Love the boat now. Now both of us are happy. It is welded not riveted. What is better, I cant tell you. Riveted may be better in big waters out east but for Alberta I dont see a problem. It has enough room that I can fish mornings, and by daytime if she wants to come, I can turn it into a pretty sporty boat. Has enough storage for all my fishing gear, rods, tackle, ropes for tubing ect. It basically is a personal choice. Look them all over, go to some boat shows if you can, and buy something that you like. Here are a couple photos of my boat. Not the exact boat, just pulled the photos of Crestliner site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140711_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg (23.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 140712_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg (31.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Waxy just curious, what do you run for a boat?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAltaHunter View Post
Waxy just curious, what do you run for a boat?
Lund 1900 Pro V SE with 200HP Optimax.

Waxy