Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Banned

Default Refill 1 lb propane tanks

Seem to recall reading on here a way to refill the 1 pound propane tanks using a 20 pounder? There's a special adapter is there not? Where does one buy one - bought a little buddy today.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Seem to recall reading on here a way to refill the 1 pound propane tanks using a 20 pounder? There's a special adapter is there not? Where does one buy one - bought a little buddy today.
fishing hole
Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Fishing hole has them, the reel doctor does too but they are overpriced...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:03 AM

You can get them on ebay for around 5$ shipped I think.. Dad just got one
Old 11-28-2014, 07:06 AM

Canadian Tire in Calgary has them once in a while.$20
Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 AM

theres a good video on youtube showing how to do it. just refilled a bunch last night actually. especially handy when you tun a propane auger as well.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Works well

Have a dozen or so I rotate through this time of year when we can't drive on the ice. Once we drive out I just take the 20 lb tank with me. Best advise is freeze the one pounders and warm up the tank then have at her. Only takes a couple minutes per canister so don't walk away and leave them fill.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 AM

It is called the maccoupler.

The fishin Hole has not carried it in about a year. I picked mine up from there just over a year ago.

I was told they stopped selling it as you are transfering LPG from one container to another and they were informed they need a special licence to operate and do this...

My next bet would be ebay.

I love my maccoupler. It is very easy to use and can refill many 1 lb tanks.

Silverdoctor, have you thought of picking up a propane tree? you can attach it to your 20lb or 40 lb propane tank and run different hoses off it to fuel multiple devices.

I am not sure what your intent is for the maccoupler but the propane tree might be worth a look for you.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 AM

I ordered a Mr Heater 1lb refill adapter from Bass Pro last year. Had no problem getting it shipped to Canada. $20 and free shipping.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM

On a related note, does anyone know how to fill a 5-lb bottle (non-OPD fitting) from a 20 pounder?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-28-2014, 01:23 PM

nevermind
Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

Little buddy heater doesn't allow any other option but the 1 pound cylinder - I supposed something can be rigged up but I really don't want to go that far with it...

How long would a 1 pound tank run a buddy heater for? Sparked it up today, doesn't seem to burn alot.

I'll check around for the adapter.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Little buddy heater doesn't allow any other option but the 1 pound cylinder - I supposed something can be rigged up but I really don't want to go that far with it...

How long would a 1 pound tank run a buddy heater for? Sparked it up today, doesn't seem to burn alot.

On low continuous use 6'ish hours. I sat in my ground blind last weekend and went through a tank and a bit from just before first light to just after last light....was on low setting all day.

You can use an extension hose on the little buddy heater to hook p to a larger tank.

LC
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You could probably use the filter and adapter hose but you would have to come up with a way to setup the heater on something as the bottle supports heater on top of it...
Old 11-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
On low continuous use 6'ish hours. I sat in my ground blind last weekend and went through a tank and a bit from just before first light to just after last light....was on low setting all day.

You can use an extension hose on the little buddy heater to hook p to a larger tank.

LC

What Lefty Said.

The 1lb propane tanks will run till about 1/4 full then shut iff when it is -15 or so out side. When the tank freezes you will need to swap a new one in. By the time that is down to the last 1/4 you can hook up the other one that is 1/4 full and burn off the rest as it has thawed.

If you run the adaptor hose make sure you get the LPG fuel filter too.

Make sure you clean out the pilot tube on the heater with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, and blow the dust out of the back of the heater. It will run much more efficiently.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
On a related note, does anyone know how to fill a 5-lb bottle (non-OPD fitting) from a 20 pounder?
I made a transfer hose to connect the 2 bottles. freeze the smaller tank, then weigh the small tank, install hose on large warm tank open valve to purge air from hose, then connect hose to small tank open both valves and turn large tank upside down. when the small tank weighs about 4 lbs more than empty. close both valves and remove hose. keep away from open flame and wear safety glasses as the hose will be pressurized
Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 PM

where did you find the parts to make a safe hose assembly?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
darn firefighters , always taking the fun out of things

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
buy a hose that you would use on any propane accessory cut one end off and install a male end that fits on a propane bottle .
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
darn firefighters , always taking the fun out of things
Haha Wayne....sorry about that! Sometimes you can do a few dangerous things...just do it safely! When are we going fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
buy a hose that you would use on any propane accessory cut one end off and install a male end that fits on a propane bottle .
Roger that!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 PM

bought mine on ebay years ago. I keep the 20lb in the heated garage, and the 1lb in the snow. quickly screw the two together and have the 20lb upside down, open the valve and you can hear the gas flow, when the sound slows down to almost nothing, shut off the valve.

I find some tanks refill better than others, and some valves on the 1lb get stuck open slightly because they're so cold or old. So if it gets stuck i screw it onto an appliance or lantern and leave it there until needed. the valve sorts itself out eventually or else ill toss the tank afterwards.

$12 to refill a 20lb at costco.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 AM
Banned

Default filler fitting

I got my filler adapter fitting from Harbor Freight (Chinese stuff like Princess Auto) in the states. Before that I just had the right fittings on a short hose.

There is sometimes oily stuff (called heavy ends) in a 20 lb. bottle that's been filled often, so open the valve when you invert it and blow out whatever comes before you attach the small bottle.
The best time to fill is on a hot day just at sundown. If you leave it hooked until morning it will be 100% full. Propane bottles are not supposed to be filled more than 85%. You can estimate how full they are by seeing when the liquid starts to come when tipping them with the valve cracked open.
If you need a quick fill you have to let off some gas from the 1 lb. bottle until it gets a bit cold. You have to repeat this until you get it as full as you want it.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloormat View Post

I find some tanks refill better than others.

I find that too. Why? Its a mystery. I use the same procedure with every tank.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I got my filler adapter fitting from Harbor Freight (Chinese stuff like Princess Auto) in the states. Before that I just had the right fittings on a short hose.

There is sometimes oily stuff (called heavy ends) in a 20 lb. bottle that's been filled often, so open the valve when you invert it and blow out whatever comes before you attach the small bottle.
The best time to fill is on a hot day just at sundown. If you leave it hooked until morning it will be 100% full. Propane bottles are not supposed to be filled more than 85%. You can estimate how full they are by seeing when the liquid starts to come when tipping them with the valve cracked open.
If you need a quick fill you have to let off some gas from the 1 lb. bottle until it gets a bit cold. You have to repeat this until you get it as full as you want it.
When I fill a one pounder, I put it at a 45 degree angle. This will leave an air space in your tank.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Check here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCYIOnxwkg

I would take the litle buddy back and get the big buddy. You will be happier.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Check here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCYIOnxwkg

I would take the litle buddy back and get the big buddy. You will be happier.
Take the buddy back and put a propane torch feeding into a a riser pipe that is inside a 5 gallon can or smaller with and a chimney port near the bottom of the can.

Run a flexible vent pipe from the chimney port out under the side of your tent. It will be a lot dryer inside and you will not be breathing burned propane gas ,like as the products of combustion.

Last edited by chimpac; 11-30-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM

As a licensed gas fitter i can tell you it is NO LONGER LEGAL to refill the 1lb bottles with out the license. Even as a gas fitter im not allowed to do it. One must take a special course which you cannot go for unless your "employer" needs you too in order for you to do your job.

That said, you shouldn't be able to buy the adaptors here in Canada from a business. You can buy them from the states and ship em here. A buddy of mine went to the states and got one and said he had no problems bringing it across.

None of the comments i read so far as how to fill them are correct. Im only stating that because some of the "methods" can actually create a dangerous situation of exploding propane bottles. Chances of it happening im sure are rare but theres a reason why OPD valves are now "law".

To correct he who said propane is not to be filled more than 85%, its actually 80%. You need a 20% vapor space @60deg F. for proper vaporization. Now of course if you fill it to 85% it will still work, this concern is when it warms up above 60deg F. which for those who dont know the conversion, 72deg F is room temp. The concern is both the increased pressure and having no vapor space. Propane Vessels are only rated for 240psig. Please keep this in mind if you are re-filling your propane bottles. There is a whole mathematical science behind propane which is why you are not legally allowed to do it.

I prefer the hose option. Im not sure if it will work with the Buddy heaters but you buy the same hose one uses for a camp stove. One end connects to your 5lb, 10lb, 20lb etc etc propane tank and the other end to the connection on your heater where you would screw a 1lb tank. I dont know how much they are but you can buy them at CT in the propane isle, BPS and Cabelas in the camping sections. They also sell hoses that connect to a Propane Tree if your using one.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Get all my parts from the dump. Lots of regulators, hoses and connectors from discarded BBQs to choose from
Old 12-26-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Take the buddy back and put a propane torch feeding into a a riser pipe that is inside a 5 gallon can or smaller with and a chimney port near the bottom of the can.

Run a flexible vent pipe from the chimney port out under the side of your tent. It will be a lot dryer inside and you will not be breathing burned propane gas ,like as the products of combustion.
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this for example would ya? Be really appreciated, thanks
Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 PM

I bought the hose and filter for my Big Buddy heater to connect a 20lb tank to it. i bought mine directly from Mr. Heater and was not bad price. I also bought the AC adapter when using the heater in my bunkhouse. If I remember correctly they advise not to use a tank over 20lb for it.