Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Of course this is a tragedy but suicide is a selfish act. It is unfortunate that anybody gets to the point where they don't care about anybody or anything other than ending their life.

It's also rather brutal that this guy chose to do this in front of children.

That being said however it has been my personal experience that children can recover from this type of thing quicker than adults. It depends primarily though on how the adults around them handle it. Adults have an unfortunate tendency to run around like the sky is falling for sometime after and turn themselves (and consequently their children) into victims.

I am of course speaking strictly from my own experience and without knowing any of the people involved in this Calgary incident. I would bet however that if the parents deal with it properly that the children will suffer minimal long-term effects.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 AM

I haven't heard anything about this in the media other than what is on the link at the start of this thread. Maybe thats a good thing.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I haven't heard anything about this in the media other than what is on the link at the start of this thread. Maybe thats a good thing.

I think you'll find that the media does not publicize suicide. I think the only reason this made the news in the first place was that they didn't know if it was an accident or not.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I think you'll find that the media does not publicize suicide. I think the only reason this made the news in the first place was that they didn't know if it was an accident or not.
And possibly because it involved a *gasp* FIREARM *gasp* .
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM

I was told he was 22 and a pilot and got his life insurance license before he was done high school very smart guy, he was from Red Deer and also was bipolar and and had gone off his meds. Suicide is a very selfish act, although this guy did save 2 lifes. He signed his doner card the day before the accident and save 2 people with his organs.

Not everyone should critize a dead man seeing no one knew all the information I just posted. No one knows. I dont know anyone who has bipolar but my husband has a step brother who is schizophrenic, and he has lost a brother and mother (from suicide) from the same disease he battles it everyday, and is off and on the meds as well.
Beth

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly & Beth View Post
Suicide is a very selfish act, although this guy did save 2 lifes. He signed his doner card the day before the accident and save 2 people with his organs.

I dont know anyone who has bipolar
Most think they are doing the world a favor. By arranging to have his organs donated he was by that act not selfish at all. Many times these people continue their tortured lives only so as not to disapoint family. Mental illness is probably the worst disease of all. No outward physical signs and they otherwise appear normal and rational mostly. It might not be physically painful or disfiguring but the torture these people go through is immense and thats why they kill themselves and are never understood by others around them. It's not a visible disease and the stigma attached to it prevents many from seeking help. Chemical imbalances in the brain and treatments which can make the disease worse depending on the individual can cause more anguish than the disease itself hence the reason many on treatment avoid and quit taking these drugs.

Mental problems are very common, the degree to which people are affected varies. They say if you know more people than you can count on your fingers then you know someone who is Bipolar to some degree, you just don't recognize it, they aint likely to tell you, are very good at hiding it, many don't even realize they are suffering a mental illness.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Good posts Kelly & Beth, Bushrat.
Very informative with good insight on a subject most would have a hard time comprehending much less explaining.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM

This is very unfortunate, and will definitely be another 'black mark' on the handgun community, but I'm not sure that I really buy the 'Suicide is Selfish' shtick -- at least I don't think it is any more selfish than almost anything else that we do.

It did prompt me to do a little more reading, and I stumbled across another post that puts things in a little different perspective...

Quote:
It is not selfish. There are many people who say that it is because they do not understand how a person could be so miserable that they could not have the will to live anymore. If you were NEVER happy, even after trying many things.. therapy, socializing, changing your passtimes and hobbies, even drugs.. then perhaps you could understand why people kill themselves. I do not think that it is selfish because although you are doing it to get away from the miseries in your own life, what exactly is there worth living for in the first place?

I’ve heard people say that it is selfish because the one committing suicide does not think of all those people that love them and do not think of how large a loss it will be. But in most cases, there will not be such a great feeling of unhappiness in those who were close to the one who killed themself after some period of time (months, years perhaps). Also, if the ones who loved them did not notice that there was something wrong in the first place, that is even more of a reason that suicide should not be considered selfish. Many times suicide is accompanied by depression – and depression is usually quite obvious. If someone does not notice that there is something wrong, maybe THEY should be considered selfish.

Now, I admit.. there are some times when killing oneself should definitely be considered selfish, but we should not automatically assume it is always that way.
I don't know anything more about this than what I've read here, and I certainly feel for the people that were directly involved, but to criticize and defame the character of an obviously troubled young man after his death seems a little cold, and dare I say selfish on our part.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Anyone know the requirements to be able to walk off the street and shoot a handgun?
You have to have some money.

As far as being selfish, that's not a a term I'd use. A person who commits suicide is usually mentally ill. They really aren't in a state to think of the impact on others.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You have to have some money.

As far as being selfish, that's not a a term I'd use. A person who commits suicide is usually mentally ill. They really aren't in a state to think of the impact on others.
I would have to agree I think that a person that takes there own life is not in the right frame of mind..and nobody on this form or anybody but him could tell you what was running through his mind.
g
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM

I did hear some good news about this from a good source. I was told that the kids that were there are going back to the edge to try shooting (at their own request). They will now get the chance to have a positive experience shooting. I guess they more than most people will have a respect for firearms and know what could happen if they are unsafe. It was horrible they had to witness that but I am very glad that they still wanted to try shooting.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Another suicide at the shooting edge today!!..
why?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Another suicide at the shooting edge today!!..
why?
No Way??? Thats Freaky,I was there when the first one happened,very sad
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM

This is very sad.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Remember that suicide is "means independent". The anti gun people try to say that removal of guns will lower suicide.

This has been proven untrue over and over and over again.

If a person can't kill themselves in one way, they will use another.

This FACT is not conveyed to the public by the liberal run media.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Do you need a PAL to fire a gun on a range?

I'm just wondering if the reason that these things happen is because it gives people easy access to firearms to which they otherwise wouldn't have to do what they want to do?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Do you need a PAL to fire a gun on a range?

I'm just wondering if the reason that these things happen is because it gives people easy access to firearms to which they otherwise wouldn't have to do what they want to do?
No, you do not need a PAL.

Just like you can show a person how to shoot (if you have a PAL and they don't) provided they are under your direct supervision.