Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Default magnetic or spring bale trip?

Which do you like better and why? I personally use the quantum energy and pulse spinning reels and they have a magnetic bale trip and I really like them but quantum just released a new reel called the exo and im trying to decide if i should get it or get the tour edition. The exo doesnt have the magnetic bale because it will make it heavier. I had a quantum optix in the past that had a spring bale trip and it failed. would it make a difference on a $200.00 reel compared to a $30.00 reel for the spring bale trip?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

I prefer the spring bale, and the farther the spool spins before it trips the smoother it will be.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Ill never go back to springs....got into Quantums for that exact reason.....hated the springs wearing on the bail. Started playing with quantums and now there is just no going back! Combine that with the titanium alloy bails that you can tie in a knot and they just spring back to proper shape...no need to spend 200 either. The Kenetic series has all the goodies and is around 90 I think and is a great reel! I have the Pro in a 40 and ya it's awsome, would definately go for it!...anyway just my personal experience and opinion.

Last edited by thorne; 07-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Ill never go back to springs....got into Quantums for that exact reason.....hated the springs wearing on the bail. Started playing with quantums and now there is just no going back! Combine that with the titanium alloy bails that you can tie in a knot and they just spring back to proper shape...no need to spend 200 either. The Kenetic series has all the goodies and is around 90 I think and is a great reel! I have the Pro in a 40 and ya it's awsome, would definately go for it!...anyway just my personal experience and opinion.
i have a quantum energy and it has a magnetic trip but the new exo pt reel has a spring trip and it cost more then the energy so im wondering if it is worth it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Sounds like a step back to me....I am curious as well now, may have to do somemore research. I do know I have never had my magnetic trips fail. I had an issue with the anti reverse clutch on my PT40..but I have a sneeky suspesion how that happened, and Quantum sent me the part free right away..personally I would go for the Tour if you want an upgrade..but nothing wrong with the Energy...thats my med action reel and i love it as well, and I use a catalyist for my light weight...I love them all but having the Tour in a 40 for my big game rod is awsome! The reel is huge, but weighs nothing and is soooooo smooth...can say much about the new reel you are looking at, just give a big thumbs up to the Tour.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM

I run the pti-a's and they are the best reels ive ever used except maybe the old sustains.
With the broken springs of days gone bye, i made a habit of manually flipping my bail and still do that to engage everytime.
I still back reel too even though drags today are highly advanced and perform very well.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM

OK did a little digging and asked a few questions....basically the EXO is focused directly in weight reduction. So a magnet system is fairly heavy in comparrison to an alloy spring system. I guess only time will tell if it holds out. So I still feel the magnetic system is more reliable over extended time and under some "not so optimal" conditions. As mention befor my PT40 is a big reel and is super light, smooth, and feels solid! So again i would get the PT even though that EXO is really cool looking!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM

!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_6_3591_alternate_b005c7cf-9[1].jpg (27.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Thats the smoke. this is the exo.