Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
pelada trochu

Default need help, boat rod storage

Hi Guys.

my boat has 1 3/4" tubes for rod storage, doesnt fit my good rods.

looking for a source local for 2.25" tubes to modify up my setup.

any help is appreciated.

the tube plastic must be the same as any alternative i tried seems to grip the rods when they slide in.

have found th marine but havent contacted yet and they say they only sell to dealers on their web.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
Hi Guys.

my boat has 1 3/4" tubes for rod storage, doesnt fit my good rods.

looking for a source local for 2.25" tubes to modify up my setup.

any help is appreciated.

the tube plastic must be the same as any alternative i tried seems to grip the rods when they slide in.

have found th marine but havent contacted yet and they say they only sell to dealers on their web.
Can you use pvc or abs tube.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM

What about just taking it all out so it is an open long narrow box and use rod socks to keep them from tangling?

I have heard of quite a few incidents where people have broken rods or the eyes of rods off from those tube style ones.

I just have the long skinny box type with the lockable lid and it seems to work really well. I can store around 14-16 rod and reel combos in it.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Can you provide a photo so workable solutions can be suggested?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
What about just taking it all out so it is an open long narrow box and use rod socks to keep them from tangling?

I have heard of quite a few incidents where people have broken rods or the eyes of rods off from those tube style ones.

I just have the long skinny box type with the lockable lid and it seems to work really well. I can store around 14-16 rod and reel combos in it.
I had put underfloor rod tube storage in my boat but took tubes out and just use as open rod storage and works a lot better.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I had put underfloor rod tube storage in my boat but took tubes out and just use as open rod storage and works a lot better.
My tourney partner did the same thing in his ranger. He hated always trying to feed the rods in and out of the tubes and took the whole set up out and left it as just an open box with a lid. I picked him up a bunch of rod socks and he has no complaints.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
My tourney partner did the same thing in his ranger. He hated always trying to feed the rods in and out of the tubes and took the whole set up out and left it as just an open box with a lid. I picked him up a bunch of rod socks and he has no complaints.
Ya the rod sock are a good idea on my list for next shopping trip. I use lure wraps but i think the socks will help out with some line tangles ...thanks Nate
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Ya the rod sock are a good idea on my list for next shopping trip. I use lure wraps but i think the socks will help out with some line tangles ...thanks Nate
If you are looking for dirt cheap ones then check out bass pro. They are like $0.99 each. I think I own close to 2 dozen of them now and I wouldn't doubt if my buddy had near that many. I am going to have to order a bunch more for this season if I get all the gear I am hoping to.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Smile

Go to Home Depot or Revy. Buy all the tubing you want in what ever size you want. Buy a plug for one end and a lid for the other. Buy a bottle of glue. Cut to length. Glue on your plug. Leave other end for cap. Done like dinner.

Easy peasy. Not me the rod tube.

Rob
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM
pelada trochu

thks

prob solved
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
pelada trochu

Quote:

i agree thats why im going from 1.7 to 2.25"
hope wont be as tight
Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Can you use pvc or abs tube.
do not use PVC I do not have the literature at hand.I know that pvc causes a reaction with carbonfiber fishing rods. I will find the info on this subject. now where did I put that book.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
do not use PVC I do not have the literature at hand.I know that pvc causes a reaction with carbonfiber fishing rods. I will find the info on this subject. now where did I put that book.
I looked to see if I could find a reaction between the two could not find a direct statement to this affect but i'm not saying it is not true. It would be a good thing for everyone to know if you can find it as PVC is used widely in some boats..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
pelada trochu

unfortunately i have center rod storage up at the bow so my rods have to bend to fit up under the front. have to use the tubes, cant leave an open box like some boats would allow. the tubes im getting are the exact same ones from factory only larger. going to make a white background instead of the black one i already have. should make putting them in alot easier. might put a light in there too. i want to try some late evening walleye fishing this season.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I looked to see if I could find a reaction between the two could not find a direct statement to this affect but i'm not saying it is not true. It would be a good thing for everyone to know if you can find it as PVC is used widely in some boats..
I know I read abought it. just cant find the magazine. still looking ! I know its here somewhere. some thing to do with uv inhibitors in pvc.