Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Default Burbot Fishing

My Dads birthday is coming up and I thought it would be great to go do some ice fishing, we would both love to catch some burbot that we can keep! Where would you suggest? Rod setup tips? What about pine coulee? Thanks

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 PM

http://archives.in-fisherman.com/con...fishing-burbot
Match the size and action of your lure to the activity level of the fish. Generally, the same baits you would use for walleyes will work for burbot. Attract active fish with a swim bait like a #5 or #7 Jigging Rapala with a fish eye or minnow head impaled on the treble hook. For less active fish, anchor a lively 4-inch shiner or chub with a 1/3-ounce phosphorescent jigging spoon. Aggressive jigging attracts fish, but use subtle hops or twitches on or near the bottom to trigger interested burbot.

Burbot inhabit northern lakes, rivers, and even brackish estuaries around the globe. They're common throughout most of Canada, Alaska, and the northern tier of states from Maine to eastern Washington. Despite this wide distribution, however, little is known about the movements of the species. We do know they prefer deep water for most of the year and that they spawn on shallow gravel bars from late January through March across much of their range. The best fishing occurs a few weeks before burbot spawn on bars and humps adjacent to deep water, as the fish gather to feed on small fish and crayfish.

Use 2-3 foot ice rod
reel use a small spinning reel
use 8-10 pound mono.

Last edited by BGSH; 01-17-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
hunter49

Thanks Best guide!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM

Caught lots of Burbot in the n.s.r last March jigging i will post some photos for you, was using jigs.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Match the size and action of your lure to the activity level of the fish. Generally, the same baits you would use for walleyes will work for burbot. Attract active fish with a swim bait like a #5 or #7 Jigging Rapala with a fish eye or minnow head impaled on the treble hook. For less active fish, anchor a lively 4-inch shiner or chub with a 1/3-ounce phosphorescent jigging spoon. Aggressive jigging attracts fish, but use subtle hops or twitches on or near the bottom to trigger interested burbot.

Burbot inhabit northern lakes, rivers, and even brackish estuaries around the globe. They're common throughout most of Canada, Alaska, and the northern tier of states from Maine to eastern Washington. Despite this wide distribution, however, little is known about the movements of the species. We do know they prefer deep water for most of the year and that they spawn on shallow gravel bars from late January through March across much of their range. The best fishing occurs a few weeks before burbot spawn on bars and humps adjacent to deep water, as the fish gather to feed on small fish and crayfish.

Use 2-3 foot ice rod
use 8-10 pound mono.
Good on you for editing your post with the link, I'm sure the original author appreciates it

Quote:
Caught lots of Burbot in the n.s.r last March jigging i will post some photos for you, was using jigs.
I'm sure the OP wants to ice fish for them, not fish for them in open water, but that's my assumption.

Now, for some hands on tips for ice fishing burbot....

I've had better luck deadsticking a smelt on a big jig head than active jigging. I believe burbot rely on smell more than sight when they're looking for their next meal, I've seen people suggest going as far as leaving bait out for a couple of days to make it real smelly. Outside whitefish spawning time, I've only caught burbot at night, usually right after I say to myself "what the heck am I doing out here!?"

Can't help you with location unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the lakes south of Edmonton. If you're willing to go for a drive, Chip Lake is usually good for burbot.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Cool

lively shiner eh, no live fish can be used in AB. dead bait or liver just off bottom.works on most waters. white tube jig or twister tail bounced on bottom near by will bring them in.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Use 2-3 foot ice rod
use 8-10 pound mono.

He could have googled it if he wanted to....Think before you post.....

Burbot...As said already, dead sticks produce. But i will ALWAYS be jigging aggressively near by. Just a minnow on a airplane jig head. Pop that bad boy up 2-3 feet from bottom and let in fall back to 6-10" from bottom. Let sit for 3-10 seconds and pop it up again. They seem to take it on the down fall, like most fish. Feel free to try any jigging combo.

Fish from sunset for a few hours into the dark. Seems to be the best bite!

Try worms, smelts, liver, and minnows. all work.