Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Did anyone else here the earth's gravity is changing due to melting of the polar ice cap? So since e=MCsq is no longer reverent does time travel seem to..........wait isn't this the quantum math forum.....?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee View Post
Hi,
Just read the fishing regulations and I am still confused, just wondering if anybody could help me out.
Here is the question:
If one is allow for possessions of 10 lake white, can one catch his limit of 5 in one lake and then another 5 in another lake on the same day? or do they need to be in separate trip? I[COLOR="Yellow"]s it legal?[/COLOR]
How does one prove that they were fished at different lakes?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
first response, nailed it
hmmmmmm I think it needed more of an answer then just YES
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

I agree with Lefty-Canuck, Pelada Trochu, and Tacklerunner. The province wide limit is the one you can end your day with. But at different lakes, or even the same lake over a couple of days, when you are at the lake, your limit is restricted to the same limit of that lake.

When I do overnight fishing at the same lake, I would ask the host I'm staying with to store my 5 from the first day's catch while I'm out the second day, and pick them up on the way home. This way my province daily maximum is never exceeded. I also don't put myself in a situation where I cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that the other 5 in my possession were not 1. Caught on a different day, 2. Caught from a different lake, 3. [Stayed] within my province wide daily allowance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You could switch lakes but would have to drop your 5 fish at home as they could no longer be in your immediate possesion if you wanted to split your possesion with 2 lakes that had a retention of 5 fish per lake.

Make sense?

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Are you guys confusing limits for Mountain Whitefish (5) and Lake Whitefish? (10)

My point of my post was to show that if you don't want to get in trouble...

You fish lake X and catch and retain 5 fish.....assuming you have no Whitefish at all anywhere (freezer at home)....you would be in your best interests to go home and drop those 5 fish off BEFORE you go to lake Y to try for your additional allowable 5 fish....

At the end of the day, you can still catch 5 fish per lake and retain all 10....but I wouldn't want to get caught with your first 5 fish in your truck while you go over to the second lake to catch another 5.....you would have some explaining to do if the second lake you were at has a 5 daily limit....

the officer would likely believe that you caught all 10 at the single lake and therefore he would assume you are over your daily limit for that water body.

It would be like going to Battle Lake and catching 2 legal pike (63cm or bigger)....and then going to Pigeon to catch your additional 1 fish (100cm or bigger)....if you got caught at Pigeon with those first 2 pike....you would likely be in trouble. Not only would you be over your 1 fish limit but likely the 2 you caught at battle would not be 100cm....so you would get dinged for over limit AND undersized fish....

Make sense?

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
in all cases use common sense.

it says including those at home. so common sense is that your daily limit should not exceed the lakes catch limit. otherwise we all get to put 5 in the livewells and kill another five and stick them on ice in the cooler on the boat while on the lake and just say we caught the first five at another lake.

its a plausible situation. but one for which i expect a fine and probably a visit back to the house to check my freezer.

the law should state that the daily catch limit should not exceed the lake limit where you are at.

so 5 fully frozen ones in the camper and 5 in the boat would seem okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
That's correct. When you are in the "act of fishing" you cannot have in your possession more than the limit for that lake. But if your truck is on shore you can have fish in it from another lake AND limit out on the lake as long as it's not over the total possession limit. If you are on hardwater and your truck is on the ice beside you, you cannot do as above. Therein lies the grey area. What's to say in open water you didn't already put your limit from lake X in the cooler in your vehicle on shore and went back out for another daily limit claiming the ones in the truck are from lake Y?

Bottom line is follow the rules, be honest & who really needs 2 daily limits in the same day. Gives you an excuse to get out again. They make these rules so people don't stockpile for black market sale like the illegal trafficking thread.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee View Post
Hi,
Just read the fishing regulations and I am still confused, just wondering if anybody could help me out.
Here is the question:
If one is allow for possessions of 10 lake white, can one catch his limit of 5 in one lake and then another 5 in another lake on the same day? or do they need to be in separate trip? Is it legal?
How does one prove that they were fished at different lakes?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
yes
Post #1 and #2 would have saved alot of drama. LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Post #1 and #2 would have saved alot of drama. LOL
Yah but 2 post threads are really boring.....

LC
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 PM

Yes you can 10 is the limit(total in your house too) .. does any zone have a 5 Lake Whitefish limit?

you can catch one per lake if you are fast Gregg/Cache/Graveyard/Blue/Jarvis
then do it in the afternoon again

Food for Thought
David
Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Yes you can 10 is the limit(total in your house too) .. does any zone have a 5 Lake Whitefish limit?

you can catch one per lake if you are fast Gregg/Cache/Graveyard/Blue/Jarvis
then do it in the afternoon again

Food for Thought
David
If I am reading your post right, and
If the daily limit is one whitefish per day, you cannot do what you propose which is fish the lake in the morning and keep one then take home and come back and keep another one.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
If the daily limit is one whitefish per day, you cannot do what you propose which is fish the lake in the morning and keep one then take home and come back and keep another one.
X2..For Example..the Gull Lake limit is 3 in the new regs, you cannot catch 2 each time and return 5 times in one day....once you have your 3 for that day you are done till the next day.

BUT technically you could go to Gull in the morning and catch your 3....then drive to Buck to catch your other 7....

LC
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Those lakes are side by side and each has a 10 lake Whitefish limit so you could go to each lake and catch one then go to the other and so on ..until you hit your 10 Whitefishlimit

if the lakes limit is 3 then go catch your 3 and go to another lake with a 5 limit and catch 2 more then go to a lake with a 10 limit and catch another 5 and go home.. Its elementary my dear Watson

David
Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Those lakes are side by side and each has a 10 lake Whitefish limit so you could go to each lake and catch one then go to the other and so on ..until you hit your 10 Whitefishlimit

if the lakes limit is 3 then go catch your 3 and go to another lake with a 5 limit and catch 2 more then go to a lake with a 10 limit and catch another 5 and go home.. Its elementary my dear Watson

David
Speckle55....what you missed in his post is he was saying if the limit was 1 in a lake....you could not catch one there....go home to drop it off and return to catch another, multiple times at the SAME lake in the same day

I think what he missed is that you are talking about bouncing to different lakes...

LC
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Yup missed that one! My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
Works better if you read....
Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

I thought the correct answer was C&R and you can fish all year long !
.sarcasm
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I agree with Lefty-Canuck, Pelada Trochu, and Tacklerunner. The province wide limit is the one you can end your day with. But at different lakes, or even the same lake over a couple of days, when you are at the lake, your limit is restricted to the same limit of that lake.

When I do overnight fishing at the same lake, I would ask the host I'm staying with to store my 5 from the first day's catch while I'm out the second day, and pick them up on the way home. This way my province daily maximum is never exceeded. I also don't put myself in a situation where I cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that the other 5 in my possession were not 1. Caught on a different day, 2. Caught from a different lake, 3. [Stayed] within my province wide daily allowance.
Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit. (See releasing live or prohibited fish.)

Before fishing in any lake or stream you must locate, within this guide, the Fish Management Zone and Watershed Unit in which it is found. Determine whether or not the lake or stream is listed under the “Lake and Stream Listings” section (see instructions under “Site-Specific Regulations” for each Watershed Unit.)

1 The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day.

2 When you are fishing at any lake or stream you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

3 The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished, including fish stored at home.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM

QIsley
LOL, I thought you had something to add.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM

O
in the 2012 regs I notice this. Was this always the way at Spencer

Spencer Lake – Walleye limit 2 (between 40 cm and 45 cm); Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
OPEN May 15 to Mar. 31 only during the following periods:
on normal weekends, from 5:00 pm each Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset each Sunday;
on long weekends with a Friday statutory or civic holiday, from 5:00 pm Thursday to 1/2 hour after sunset on Sunday;
on long weekends with a Monday statutory or civic holiday, from 5:00 pm Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset on the holiday Monday; and
from 5:00 pm on Dec. 24 to 1/2 hour after sunset on Jan. 1.
(NOTE: Spencer Lake is located in the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range and live ammunition is used in the area. Use of the lake by anglers is dependent on the approval of the Canadian Forces at the Base. If necessary for Base operations, access to Spencer Lake may be closed during some of the open periods listed above. Due to safety concerns, the Canadian Forces does not permit overland access to Spencer Lake on any trails that are inside the Bombing Range boundary, including the trail between Seibert and Spencer lakes. Spencer Lake may only be accessed from the west tip of Spencer Lake and it is unlawful to go ashore inside the bombing range boundary).
Apr. 1 to May 14 – CLOSED
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Had to check on the old regulations. Mine only goes back to 2010-2011, but yeah, that's not something which started this year.

Quote:
Walleye limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
*OPEN May 21 to Mar 31 only during the following periods:
*on normal weekends, from 5:00 pm each Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset each Sunday;
Etc., etc.,... (Same as your copy's)
*Apr 1 to May 20 - CLOSED
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
first response, nailed it
Not correct. Rule 3 says no.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Not correct. Rule 3 says no.
Rule 3 does not apply because as stated by the OP, he would be fishing 2 different lakes.

Rule 3 applies when you are fishing a single water body for multiple days.

So yes, afaik, the first response was correct.

Of course I could be mistaken.

I can't believe that this thread is still going on. It is a testament to the poor working and organization of the reg's themselves.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Had to check on the old regulations. Mine only goes back to 2010-2011, but yeah, that's not something which started this year.

Quote:
Walleye limit 1 over 50 cm; Pike limit 1 over 63; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
*OPEN May 21 to Mar 31 only during the following periods:
*on normal weekends, from 5:00 pm each Friday to 1/2 hour after sunset each Sunday;
Etc., etc.,... (Same as your copy's)
*Apr 1 to May 20 - CLOSED
thanks never noticed until I started planning some summer trips, seems weird anyone know why?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM

The reason I think rule 3 applies is I don't think you are gonna have much luck explaining, and proving that the 5 in the truck are from a different lake. I agree that the letter of the regs is being followed, but, good luck if thats the approach you take.

If we heard about someone getting caught with more fish than they should have at lake x, and the excuse was I caught those at lake y, what would everyone say? Ya Right!

k
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 AM

Default rule 3

rule 3 general regs. says it all. Read #3 carefullly verry carrrefulllllly
General regs are the 1st rule