Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Default trout question

I got 2 nice spots near me, Grotto pond and gap lake well and I guess the Bow river to which they feed off of. I've fished grotto about 5 times using len thompson spoons with no luck, the bow I've fished well over 20 times with Len T's and 0 there and tried once at gap from shore with none caught.

I cant really use much else besides spoons n spinners cause of resrictions and cause I've never learned to fly fish. I was wondering how much stuff like weather and season come into play with trout?
What times of year do they tend to feed the most? Does cloudy days make for better trout fishing or do sunnier cause Ive been told both so hopefully some people who have caught on these systems of water can shre some tips. Ty.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Try using small flatfish lures.Smaller the better results.The trout seem to have a preference to striking black with a silver fleck in them.
Retrieve the lure slowly.
Good luck
Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM

all because you are using spinning gear doesn't mean you can't tie a nymph on you don't always need a fly rod you just need to think outside the box
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM

I fish grotto , gap and that section of the bow often. Drop me a pm and will tag along with you. You may want to try a worm under a bob'r @ grotto.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks, I'll try the small flatfish lures, I have 2 but they are blue/silver so I'll also buy a black/silver one and yea I definatly want to learn how to use a nymph or similar fly gear on my standard fishing rod.

JTs that would be awsome, I'll PM u a few days before I plan on hittin those spots next and tyvm!