Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Default My Girls laying the smack down on some Chinook

https://youtu.be/6nfeiTd4m58

Salmon Fishing for Chinook Salmon is some of the most exciting fishing you can find on salt water in the Pacific Northwest. All the way from California to Alaska these amazingly powerful fish roam in search of baitfish to gorge on allowing them to grow to epic proportions in only a few short years. During the summer large amounts of adult chinook migrate back towards their spawning grounds. There are also many smaller feeder salmon around eating everything in site. This trip was out to Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island. We stayed in Ucluelet and fished the inside waters. While most of the fish we caught were feeder chinook we still found some decent fish and had a lot of fun with the kids. Everyone was pulling in Chinook salmon and even a few double headers. Unfortunately our first few fish were not caught on camera, but I have included pictures. I am not sure if I have ever limitted on 8 chinook before, it was a fantastic day of fishing with the kids. They had a great time grabbing rods and cranking in fish. If you stick till the end of the video I give you a run down on the Chinook Fishing basics that I use out on the ocean. I am still learning. But each year I hope to add more fishing knowledge into my videos as mine also grows from year to year. I hope you enjoy this and I hope it helps you get out and catch some fish on your own as well.

Growing up in Alberta i was fortunate to make three trips out to the coast with my grandpa. Times I'll never forget and entrenched a love of that big mysterious water full of untold amounts of life. Now feel even more fortunate to be on the Pacific door step. Still some great fishing ahead for anyone headed out this way. Seems the chinook fishing has been amazing down the inside.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-08-2020, 05:10 PM

Nice day & great video. All fishing is good fishing, family & the Pacific just better. Thanks for the share!!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:44 PM

Looks like a great day out on the water. Like usual, loved the video.

How fast were you trolling?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Looks like a great day out on the water. Like usual, loved the video.

How fast were you trolling?
I usually am trolling about 1.7 to 2.5 mph depending on the direction, current and how the angle on my downrigger looks. I know some guys like trolling faster but we seem to have better luck for chinook going slower.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:57 AM

Great job Brandon! You will have to slowly teach the arm of palming the reel and avoiding the knuckle bust. My wife finally did it this year and seems to be good with it now. That said, everyone did well and does it really matter if your landing fish?
First daughter reeled that in like a champ for sure.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I usually am trolling about 1.7 to 2.5 mph depending on the direction, current and how the angle on my downrigger looks. I know some guys like trolling faster but we seem to have better luck for chinook going slower.
It's putting fish in the boat - I wouldn't change a thing. The reason I asked, because it did look like you were pretty slow - I am usually 2.5 to 3.5 even 4.0 when dragging near the surface on active fish.

I guess it gives me more comfort to kick it down even slower if things aren't happening for me.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It's putting fish in the boat - I wouldn't change a thing. The reason I asked, because it did look like you were pretty slow - I am usually 2.5 to 3.5 even 4.0 when dragging near the surface on active fish.

I guess it gives me more comfort to kick it down even slower if things aren't happening for me.

Thanks for the info.
I typically troll the same speed as most of the other guys out there. The odd guy seems to troll faster. I like how the presentation looks goong slower. Is the speed you mention gps speed or spedometer? Because that changes everything as well on the ocean. I'm just gps speed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Great job Brandon! You will have to slowly teach the arm of palming the reel and avoiding the knuckle bust. My wife finally did it this year and seems to be good with it now. That said, everyone did well and does it really matter if your landing fish?

First daughter reeled that in like a champ for sure.
Yeah i think theyre scared to get whacked. All of them just let go of the reel. Ive tried to explain it. But you know how it is when hooked up to a fish not exactly the easiest time to learn. Especially when I'm directing traffic.... reel reel reel, let em go let em go! Reel reel. Keep the tip up. They did an unreal job. They landed every single chinook they were attatched to that trip. I have a bigger loss percentage then them. The wifey has lost a few over the years... vit getting better. I was really impressed with the oldest. With the coho she was even getting the rod out of the holder and off the clip. Impressed me. They'll get the palming thing maybe our next trip this month if we get some decent action.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:52 PM

Nicely done! Sort of looks like Wash Rock at Nootka.

We gave up on knuckle dusters long ago and just fish level winds like the PENN 320 & 330. Much better drag control.

Try taking off the hook supplied on the Skinny G and put on a 5/0 Eagle Claw Circle Sea (Circle hook). Just crimp the barb. You will be impressed how they stay in when a spring jumps multiple times.

All the same, looks like a great trip and adventure for the family!

Drewski
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

We gave up on knuckle dusters long ago and just fish level winds like the PENN 320 & 330. Much better drag control.

Try taking off the hook supplied on the Skinny G and put on a 5/0 Eagle Claw Circle Sea (Circle hook). Just crimp the barb. You will be impressed how they stay in when a spring jumps multiple times.

Drewski
This is Cree Island in Barkley Sound. We didn't lose any of the chinook with the stock hooks on the spoons. Even though my daughter's launched like 2 or 3 times. I have seen a few straight hooks in photos due to light guage of hooks on the skinny g.

You use circle hooks on spoons??? Thats the first I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Sure once hooked up probably on really good, but I would think you're potentially missing hook ups with the circle hook. Try batting at a circle hook with an open hand and a siwash hook with bent shaft. I would think more likely a siwash ends up in your flesh. Which is kind of how I imagine spoon hook ups occur. The fish kind of slash at it. It's not like taking bait in the setting where circle hooks are usually used. I'd like to see a head to head trial of that presentation though. Very interesting.

I have Penn level wind reels as well, but in my oppinion they are total joy killers. Takes the excitement out of landing a big salmon. Like pulling them in with a high tech winch. Where as a mooching reel is One to One and the fisherman is the drag. So munch more of an experience fighting fish on mooching reels in my humble opinion. Plus I don't go out there to land every fish. I go out for the experience. My freezer is always full, and pantry full of canned salmon. I do not need to land every fish living on the coast now.

I totally understand guys like my uncle with a bad shoulder have some trouble keeping up to the fish on a mooching reel or my dad who gets tired or cranking seem to have an easier time with the level wind. For now I still enjoy knuckle busters and not looking like every other American out there.

Personal preference of course and I do it like I do cause I love it. As long as you are enjoying the way you fish I dont think you should ever worry about what other people are doing. If I had a few bucks to burn I'd love to have 4 Islander reels on 10'6" gloomis mooching rods. Dream gear some daym

Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Drewski
This is Cree Island in Barkley Sound. We didn't lose any of the chinook with the stock hooks on the spoons. Even though my daughter's launched like 2 or 3 times. I have seen a few straight hooks in photos due to light guage of hooks on the skinny g.

You use circle hooks on spoons??? Thats the first I have ever heard of anyone doing that. Sure once hooked up probably on really good, but I would think you're potentially missing hook ups with the circle hook. Try batting at a circle hook with an open hand and a siwash hook with bent shaft. I would think more likely a siwash ends up in your flesh. Which is kind of how I imagine spoon hook ups occur. The fish kind of slash at it. It's not like taking bait in the setting where circle hooks are usually used. I'd like to see a head to head trial of that presentation though. Very interesting.

I have Penn level wind reels as well, but in my oppinion they are total joy killers. Takes the excitement out of landing a big salmon. Like pulling them in with a high tech winch. Where as a mooching reel is One to One and the fisherman is the drag. So munch more of an experience fighting fish on mooching reels in my humble opinion. Plus I don't go out there to land every fish. I go out for the experience. My freezer is always full, and pantry full of canned salmon. I do not need to land every fish living on the coast now.

I totally understand guys like my uncle with a bad shoulder have some trouble keeping up to the fish on a mooching reel or my dad who gets tired or cranking seem to have an easier time with the level wind. For now I still enjoy knuckle busters and not looking like every other American out there.

Personal preference of course and I do it like I do cause I love it. As long as you are enjoying the way you fish I dont think you should ever worry about what other people are doing. If I had a few bucks to burn I'd love to have 4 Islander reels on 10'6" gloomis mooching rods. Dream gear some day.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Drewski

Personal preference of course and I do it like I do cause I love it. As long as you are enjoying the way you fish I dont think you should ever worry about what other people are doing. If I had a few bucks to burn I'd love to have 4 Islander reels on 10'6" gloomis mooching rods. Dream gear some day.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:23 PM

All is well with your choice of a single action. The advantages of the level wind are that when you have to pick up line on a fish swimming towards the boat, you can do it in a hurry. But yes, I have a few Shimano Moocher Plus GTs that were used for years on the inside, and were plenty of fun.

As for the circle hooks, been doing that since I moved back from Florida where they were used exclusively for big marlin and sailfish. It has now become a regulation down there, as fish are easily released, do not suffer gill damage, and when dealing with fish that can jump and run for over two hours, they stay hooked.

When the fish hits, they bite and turn. If you can get ahold of any of "Charlie White's Fishing Machine" videos from the 1970's, he ran an underwater camera on a downrigger. Fish hit and turn away. Watch the videos and you will see.

The Circle hook slides to the corner of the mouth, digs in on the turn, and cannot be pulled back in a straight line. That is the secret. There is a german fellow from Campbell River who runs a Seaswirl by the name of "Alkami". He went so far as to snag our line with a big spring on it thinking we were fishing with barbs. He netted the fish, and immediately tried to unhook the Spring in his net, without success. You have to rotate the hhok and push IN to get it out. I explained how it worked, and gave him a pack of 5/0s to try. Now we are friends.

Just saying.

Drewski
Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
All is well with your choice of a single action. The advantages of the level wind are that when you have to pick up line on a fish swimming towards the boat, you can do it in a hurry. But yes, I have a few Shimano Moocher Plus GTs that were used for years on the inside, and were plenty of fun.

As for the circle hooks, been doing that since I moved back from Florida where they were used exclusively for big marlin and sailfish. It has now become a regulation down there, as fish are easily released, do not suffer gill damage, and when dealing with fish that can jump and run for over two hours, they stay hooked.

When the fish hits, they bite and turn. If you can get ahold of any of "Charlie White's Fishing Machine" videos from the 1970's, he ran an underwater camera on a downrigger. Fish hit and turn away. Watch the videos and you will see.

The Circle hook slides to the corner of the mouth, digs in on the turn, and cannot be pulled back in a straight line. That is the secret. There is a german fellow from Campbell River who runs a Seaswirl by the name of "Alkami". He went so far as to snag our line with a big spring on it thinking we were fishing with barbs. He netted the fish, and immediately tried to unhook the Spring in his net, without success. You have to rotate the hhok and push IN to get it out. I explained how it worked, and gave him a pack of 5/0s to try. Now we are friends.

Just saying.

Drewski
Yeah i know level wind you can take up the line way faster when they swim towards the boat. I don't mind giving a fish a bit of a chance for freedom. It adds to the challenge.

Very interesting with the circle hooks. So do they have open eye circle hooks or how do you attach it to the spoon? I fish for halibut with large circle hooks, but not salmon. I use gamakatsu octopus hooks on my hootchies or sickle hooks. Guess I'll get some circle hooks if i see any that size.